Hi I'm new to this forum,looking to move to sosua/puerto plata asap

R.j.

Mar 26, 2013
Hi I'm looking for both a decent fairly priced apartment (studio or 1 bedroom) in sosua/puerto plata and any leads on a call center job for english speakers there.
Thank you.

R.j.

Mar 26, 2013
Thank you for the info Derfish
I'm looking to find a furnished place, was looking to get a name or two so I could call and go straight there to check it out when I get there. I have a friend of mine that works at a call center in santiago, he make 1000-1200/mo, but he has been there for 2 1/2 years though. Just looking to find something to cover my expenses while there. Your friend's business, is it on commissions only or is there a base as well?

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Thank you for the info Derfish
I'm looking to find a furnished place, was looking to get a name or two so I could call and go straight there to check it out when I get there. I have a friend of mine that works at a call center in santiago, he make 1000-1200/mo, but he has been there for 2 1/2 years though. Just looking to find something to cover my expenses while there. Your friend's business, is it on commissions only or is there a base as well?

A friend of mine is moving back to Santiago in a few months. He is looking to work in call centers too. Would you s kind enough to tell me in which call center your works so I can tell him?

R.j.

Mar 26, 2013
A friend of mine is moving back to Santiago in a few months. He is looking to work in call centers too. Would you s kind enough to tell me in which call center your works so I can tell him?

I don't work at a call center here, its a friend of mine who's job I made reference to. I will ask him the name tonight when he gets off of work and post it for you tomorrow. He tells me that a lot of people from his office went over to Vimenca since they came back into santiago and that their starting pay is better than the job he is at.

R.j.

Mar 26, 2013
The telephone number of a house a couple of blocks away from me is 809-303-0091.which is 3 bedroom and is going for 20,000 monthly. It has every thing except a television, does have wifi and an air conditioner in one bedroom. It is a first floor and the third floor balcony has a pool table and weights for lifting as well as other gym equipment. The man speaks English also. It is in Torre Alta Puerto Plata. up within a couple of blocks of where the jungle starts. The call center guy: I worked for him for a couple of weeks a work at home on your own computer and his soft ware was so bad that I didn't get thru one day ever without problems that I took to him and he even couldn't usually get it straightened out. I spoke to him last week and he says all he has at present is straight commission.
Der Fish

Thank you, that gives me two reference point. I was also told about condos dominicana which is smaller but relatively close to the 20k you mentioned and I saw pictures of the place. I'm not familiar with that area at all, only went to the area to go to the airport, I just want to be within close proximity to (Calle Alejo Martinez 1, Sosua). For the job, I will pass on a commission only job, have to find something that offers a reliable pay.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

The advice you've received is pretty accurate in that it is VERY difficult for an unconnected newcomer to find and keep a job that pays a first-world salary.

Most expats are pensioners, business owners, or people who have cashed out of successful businesses and/or investments. There are relatively few people on this site who are new arrivals and have found DR-based jobs paying solid salaries, particularly on the North Coast.

My advice is to become a snow-bird, meaning plan long visits, while you stay based in your home country. In the meantime, either start looking for a job with a company that has a DR presence, or something you can do online (like writing copy or web-design, SEO, etc.)

Otherwise, it can become quite difficult financially in a very short time.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You are better off to contact a realtor in the Sosua area and tell them that you are interested in a rental. They will show you what is available. It won't cost you anything but your time. You can google Sosua realtors.

LTSteve