Tourist card online - any advantages?

Nightliner

Apr 25, 2011
Hey there,

I'm just wondering if buying the tourist card online (About the Tourist Card) will be of any advantage? I remember from earlier travel to POP that there used to be two queues - one for getting the card and one for exchanging it for a piece of paper. If I buy that card online - will I be able to skip the first queue? Or will I need to exchange whatever purchase confirmation proof I get for another physical card @ the first queue and then proceed to the second queue to exchange the card for a piece of paper? The latter would be silly, but very imaginable.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The only advantage that you will have is that you won't have to initially stand in line to buy the card, which is now just a duplicate paper receipt, that you will give to a person before you go through immigration. It will save you a few minutes.

LTSteve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I don't believe that any of the airlines include the tourist card fee any longer, unless it is a charter flight. The tourist card is a fee is basically a tax for entering the country. You pay your $10usd before entering customs and immigration.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't believe that any of the airlines include the tourist card fee any longer, unless it is a charter flight. The tourist card is a fee is basically a tax for entering the country. You pay your $10usd before entering customs and immigration.

LTSteve

I agree. What the airlines include is the departure fee/tax.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
After getting off the airplane one has to have $10.00 in USA cash to buy a tourist card. Common thing in LAtin Countries, but here you don't get to keep it. You have to surrender it within minutes of buying it. Other places you should have it on your person as you are moving about their country.
Der Fish
interesting, i never had to do that. they do not charge me the exit fee either. must all be included.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
A.c.

LTSteve

Air Canada does.

Nightliner

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks a lot - will buy it online, minus one queue at PUJ. Lets see if it pays off at all - my last trip to POP included a TTL of 20 mins immigration queue + a nice 30 minute wait for any luggage to arrive....:)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After getting off the airplane one has to have $10.00 in USA cash to buy a tourist card. Common thing in LAtin Countries, but here you don't get to keep it. You have to surrender it within minutes of buying it. Other places you should have it on your person as you are moving about their country.
Der Fish

When we flew down in March [SDQ] they didn't take the tourist card, just looked at it and handed it back to me. Showed the amount I paid and the date I arrived.