Cracking Down On Prostitution In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
4. Cracking down on prostitution in Sosua
The new Ministry of Tourism provincial director for Puerto Plata province, Lorenzo Sancassani says that every effort is being made to reduce the impact of prostitution in Sosua and the north coast. He said that the authorities' priority right now is to back businesses that promote legitimate travel offers. As reported in Hoy, he said that meetings have been held with the new police commander in the area and the new director of Politur for plans to take action to tackle the problem.

"The Ministry of Tourism and the Prosecutor General Office are coordinating actions aimed at controlling the problem and guaranteeing surroundings where we can restore domestic tourism and family tourism," said Sancassani. He said that plans were afoot to develop the Maritime Park project in Sosua beach, with a focus on diving in the Sosua Bay. He added that they would be working towards relocating vendors, and for introducing new signage for taxis to crack down on unauthorized 'pirate' taxis, as well as preventing chaos and crime.

I was very pleased to read the statements of the new Provincial Director of Tourism in the above piece taken from today's DR1 News Summary.

I am sure that we will be flooded with posts from those that say whores are the saviors of Sosua, but I am sure that the majority of those who live here wish those making the effort well.

I think that between the Mayor, new Tourism Director, and the apparent commitment of the national government to help Sosua that some positive things are going to happen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
are the hos that much of a problem? really? i am never bothered by that when visiting sosua. what pi**es me off is dirt, mess and noise. how about starting with that, mister minister?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
News????

4. Cracking down on prostitution in Sosua
The new Ministry of Tourism provincial director for Puerto Plata province, Lorenzo Sancassani says that every effort is being made to reduce the impact of prostitution in Sosua and the north coast. He said that the authorities' priority right now is to back businesses that promote legitimate travel offers. As reported in Hoy, he said that meetings have been held with the new police commander in the area and the new director of Politur for plans to take action to tackle the problem.

"The Ministry of Tourism and the Prosecutor General Office are coordinating actions aimed at controlling the problem and guaranteeing surroundings where we can restore domestic tourism and family tourism," said Sancassani. He said that plans were afoot to develop the Maritime Park project in Sosua beach, with a focus on diving in the Sosua Bay. He added that they would be working towards relocating vendors, and for introducing new signage for taxis to crack down on unauthorized 'pirate' taxis, as well as preventing chaos and crime.

I was very pleased to read the statements of the new Provincial Director of Tourism in the above piece taken from today's DR1 News Summary.

I am sure that we will be flooded with posts from those that say whores are the saviors of Sosua, but I am sure that the majority of those who live here wish those making the effort well.

I think that between the Mayor, new Tourism Director, and the apparent commitment of the national government to help Sosua that some positive things are going to happen.

Ken,
You seem to have appointed yourself to regurgitate "news".
If things are are moving along so well how is it that after the"raid" on CMP it's open the next day?
The noise pollution is still going on till 3AM.
The drug dealers are still hanging around in front of Rumba Bar.
One way street..............Ha!
You are delusional if you really think that things are going to change.
Statements are issued to placate.
We'll soon get a hospital as well!
How long have you been in the DR????........ ya!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How is it going to be positive?
That is what I was referring to on the other thread. The conservatives want to return to a mythical time when these things were hidden instead of legal and accepted by society. but normal people say "Live and let live."
Der Fish

the opponents of prostitution in Sosua have a plan to get all the ladies of easy virtue jobs in the managerial echelons at IBM.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How long have you been in the DR????........ ya!!!

I have been living in the DR since December 1985 and have been a legal resident since 1987.

And you?

I have been on DR1 since the late 1990's. The original DR1,not this version that was unrolled in 2002. I don't recall reading any of your posts then.

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Oh BS!

If they wanted to they could end prostitution in So-Sewer in one day with a suitcase full of counterfeit $1KRD notes traded to the weekend warriors as they hit the strip. The powers that be have no intention of eliminating the revenue that is generated by prostitution there. They just want bigger $lices of the pie.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Oh BS!

If they wanted to they could end prostitution in So-Sewer in one day with a suitcase full of counterfeit $1KRD notes traded to the weekend warriors as they hit the strip. The powers that be have no intention of eliminating the revenue that is generated by prostitution there. They just want bigger $lices of the pie.

this is why you are greydread, and i am not

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The noise pollution is still going on till 3AM.
The drug dealers are still hanging around in front of Rumba Bar.
One way street..............Ha!

ok, i admit we drive one way on pedro clisante yesterday but really, we had no idea. sorry!

chasing hos is easy. they do not bother me but i have eyes and i see them, they kinda stand out. or maybe i presume. ladies of all ages in super tight, short clothing just sitting at bars with no food and drinks? pros, right? in any case, easy to single them out. arrest. beat up. but not so easy to tackle rubbish and noise, is it? because it's not done by a relatively small group confined to few streets in a city center. it is done by nearly everyone, everywhere.

heck, i say it's a dumb idea and i am not a monger interested in keeping the ladies of the night active and serving. i simply think your average family holiday maker is more bothered by dirt, rubbish, noise and chaos than by some gals in skimpy clothing.

but it is easier to arrest a ho, seen as a worthless scum who can be abused at will, right? they can either pay to get out of jail or offer a BJ. maybe they should implement the same multa to those who throw rubbish on the street? :devious:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ok, i admit we drive one way on pedro clisante yesterday but really, we had no idea. sorry!

chasing hos is easy. they do not bother me but i have eyes and i see them, they kinda stand out. or maybe i presume. ladies of all ages in super tight, short clothing just sitting at bars with no food and drinks? pros, right? in any case, easy to single them out. arrest. beat up. but not so easy to tackle rubbish and noise, is it? because it's not done by a relatively small group confined to few streets in a city center. it is done by nearly everyone, everywhere.

heck, i say it's a dumb idea and i am not a monger interested in keeping the ladies of the night active and serving. i simply think your average family holiday maker is more bothered by dirt, rubbish, noise and chaos than by some gals in skimpy clothing.

but it is easier to arrest a ho, seen as a worthless scum who can be abused at will, right? they can either pay to get out of jail or offer a BJ. maybe they should implement the same multa to those who throw rubbish on the street? :devious:

not when the guy throwing the garbage out the windows of an Audi Q7 comes from a family with a hyphenated last name. a major could get busted down to foot patrol for disturbing the afternoon quietude of Don Pepe Gomez y Gomez.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I have been living in the DR since December 1985 and have been a legal resident since 1987.

And you?

I have been on DR1 since the late 1990's. The original DR1,not this version that was unrolled in 2002. I don't recall reading any of your posts then.

My point precisely!
After all this time you still are clueless!
Any come back on CMP still being open after the great raid and my other comments???
Neither you nor the Dominicans are going to improve things in our lifetime.
They can't even impede illegal movement of vehicles in a one way street, including police officers.
Never mind more complicated issues.
Lights sill go out every day, glad I have a generator.
Keep on dreaming.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My point precisely!
After all this time you still are clueless!
Any come back on CMP still being open after the great raid and my other comments???
Neither you nor the Dominicans are going to improve things in our lifetime.
They can't even impede illegal movement of vehicles in a one way street, including police officers.
Never mind more complicated issues.
Lights sill go out every day, glad I have a generator.
Keep on dreaming.

I'm not dreaming. I have learned that improvements happen over time. Would I like them to happen sooner, of course.

The election of the present mayor was an improvement. All the problems have not been solved, but there have been some some changes for the better. The appointment of the Tourism Director for the North Coast was an improvement. Not much to show for it yet, but it was a step in the right direction. Getting the right people in positions such as the mayor and director of tourism has to happen before any changes are made.

I am confident that over time, small step by small step, we are going to see things changing.

Already the streets are better during the day. The girls aren't soliciting like they were previously. I am sure if you go back to previous posts you will find people like you saying that would never happen.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

The prostitutes never have been a problem for me.
If I'm not interested I just tell them and they move on, they are there to make money.
I've never been raped or pick pocketed by a prostitute. Prostitution is legal,cut out the chulos.
I do mind the drug dealers, criminals, broken sidewalks, pot holes and noise.
There may even be corruption :nervous: .....who knows?
I don't expect the DR to be a well administered country in the lifetime of any of us.
When I become a citizen I may participate in change.
If I want to live in an organized country and with law and order I know where to go.
I'm in the DR knowing what the country is, and accept the risks and pleasures.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not when the guy throwing the garbage out the windows of an Audi Q7 comes from a family with a hyphenated last name. a major could get busted down to foot patrol for disturbing the afternoon quietude of Don Pepe Gomez y Gomez.

yeah, this is why i put my devious face there... imagine the police arrest someone for littering and say: yeah, it's a 1000 pesos multa or a BJ, the choice is yours... :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yeah, this is why i put my devious face there... imagine the police arrest someone for littering and say: yeah, it's a 1000 pesos multa or a BJ, the choice is yours... :)

they say that all the time, right now. in the bad old days of POP, the trucks used to scoop up the girls off the streets every night. every cop got his rocks off, at will. no sergeant left behind.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Sosua has made it's name with prostitutes and drugs and if they clean it up it might become a ghost town. Most of the tourist go there with these things.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sosua has made it's name with prostitutes and drugs and if they clean it up it might become a ghost town. Most of the tourist go there with these things.

without prostitutes, the economy of Sosua will collapse.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they say that all the time, right now. in the bad old days of POP, the trucks used to scoop up the girls off the streets every night. every cop got his rocks off, at will. no sergeant left behind.

with hos. but now apply the same for: throwing garbage on the street; playing loud music; unlicenced motoconchos; jumping red light... :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.