doctor in sosua

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Hi
i need to go get a visit from a doctor as i have a lot of throat pain and fever since two days and the drugs i took did not work.
How much would cost a visit from a private doctor? As i don't have insurance is there a public place in the sosua area for a generic visit that you would recommend?
Sorry but i don't know anything about this and any suggestions is welcome. Thanks

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
There's Dr. Freddy Salazar somewhere near Rocky's on DR Rosen, #3 ?, cel 809-854-1633. He's somewhat reasonable pricewise and a decent Dr.

There's the new medical center on the east end of town on the highway - CMC, big sign. Clean, somewhat modern, good doctor. I once got 6 stitches for $20 usd there. My dominicana "friend" kept pestering the nurse over the bill and I think the nurse got flustered and under-charged me.

And then if you're on a real budget, go to the entrance of Tradewinds Condos (big sign on main highway), go a hundred feet more and on the same side of the street and there is a Dr. who operates out of a little house. He might have a checkered past, but if you're on a budget...

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Thank you guys, i think i will call cmc and Dr. Freddy to ask how much is a visit. I've heard everything private is very expensive because here insurance is a must and cover almost all, but this is my fault not doing it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in POP a visit like this without insurance is about 500 pesos. a chest x-ray will be well over a 1000 pesos thou if you're told to have that. any lab test cost about 200-300 pesos each.

what drugs did you take? you are not likely to get anything different than stuff you can get from the pharmacy after you describe your problem. the only difference may be a need for antibiotics, if you have an infection. the cheapest antibiotic is about 10 pesos per pill (ampicilina or amoxiciclina). more expensive stuff like ciprofloxacina or azitromicina will be somewhere around 50 pesos each for cheap generic version.

i hear that CMC is good, it's just outside sosua. hope you feel better soon.

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
where exactly in puerto plata?
i took usual anti gripal but once the effect goes away the fever and throat pain come back.
Today in the pharmacy Alberto they gave me ciprofloxacin that is antibiotic but it did nothing.
Probably it's an infection and i need specific antibiotics.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you'll probably get cipro again. twice or once a day for a week to take effect, btw, not one pill. if you want cheap, fast and cheerful buy azitromicina, 3 pills, one a day. done for. mebocaina or angimed for the throat, 4 a day. acetaminophen two or three times a a day for fever. a doctor will most likely give you exactly what i said.

in POP in clinica brugal, go to see doctor mejia.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Bottom line, you need to go to a Doctor and have a throat culture. Beg, borrow or steel the money, but go. You don't want to end up with Rheumatic fever, a real possibility if its streptococcus

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You have a medical center next to Club Recidencial, and you have the clinic of Doctor Webe 2 blocks up from there, against the highroad. Both of them quite ok, and not very expensive.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
you'll probably get cipro again. twice or once a day for a week to take effect, btw, not one pill. if you want cheap, fast and cheerful buy azitromicina, 3 pills, one a day. done for. mebocaina or angimed for the throat, 4 a day. acetaminophen two or three times a a day for fever. a doctor will most likely give you exactly what i said.

in POP in clinica brugal, go to see doctor mejia.

I second DV8's post. Z-pak (Azithromycin or azitromicina) is awesome stuff and works fast.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Bottom line, you need to go to a Doctor and have a throat culture. Beg, borrow or steel the money, but go. You don't want to end up with Rheumatic fever, a real possibility if its streptococcus

in my 7 years in DR i have never had anything more complicated than an x-ray and blood test arriving to the doctor with symptoms of a cold. i do not think anyone would bother with throat cultures here, normal procedure is to prescribe an antibiotic with a wide range and something strong to boot (hence cipro, azitromicina and levo). usually a doctor will not even ask about allergies to medicine not any recent use of antibiotics. they pretty much follow the routine...

i still think that will all this it is good to visit a doctor because this "cold" can also be pneumonia, bronchitis or dengue. worth checking.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
in my 7 years in DR i have never had anything more complicated than an x-ray and blood test arriving to the doctor with symptoms of a cold. i do not think anyone would bother with throat cultures here, normal procedure is to prescribe an antibiotic with a wide range and something strong to boot (hence cipro, azitromicina and levo). usually a doctor will not even ask about allergies to medicine not any recent use of antibiotics. they pretty much follow the routine...

i still think that will all this it is good to visit a doctor because this "cold" can also be pneumonia, bronchitis or dengue. worth checking.

Factually, the man needs to see a Doctor for a correct diagnosis, not a chorus of drama queens "oh this and that happened to me" there are too many possibilities not to seek a Physicians advice. Gee .. maybe he does have medical allergies and needs synthetic antibiotic.
Sir. borrow a little coin and go to a "Doctor"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not deny he needs to go, i'm just saying that he probably will not learn much :)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Hi
i need to go get a visit from a doctor as i have a lot of throat pain and fever since two days and the drugs i took did not work.
How much would cost a visit from a private doctor? As i don't have insurance is there a public place in the sosua area for a generic visit that you would recommend?
Sorry but i don't know anything about this and any suggestions is welcome. Thanks

Could be strep throat... I had it once there went to the clinic up the road from Scotiabank got a couple shots of penicillin in the ass and hubby paid just over $1000 pesos I think (including meds)... it was a few years back I could be wrong on the amount.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If he ate the wrong snapper, it could be Gonorrhea, maybe a real MD should do the diagnosis, not a bunch of cyber doctors.

He needs a throat culture and a blood test.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i do not deny he needs to go, i'm just saying that he probably will not learn much :)

My French friends from Las Terrenas who are very pro active with their health (always get their annual physicals and blood work done.. still go back to France for major work) always come to the Capital for lab work because, they say, the amoebae live on the microscopes there.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I usually use sun and ocean water for runny nose/sore throat, helps right away! If there is high t then u got to use antibiotics if ur infection is bacterial (not a virus). But many diseases go away in a week if u dont treat them or in 7 days if u visit a doctor.

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
hi
sorry for the late update. Everything was fine, i went to centro medico cabarete for the visit, they charged 1000 pesos and 500 for medication (injection) that stopped the fever. A few days with antibiotics and then the pain at the throat went away too.
Thanks for all the helpful messages!