an american teacher dies in a car accident in santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From the description of the accident, it looks like a major mistake or someone ran a light.

It is a shame. Nationality is just a novelty, the real tragedy is that a teacher was lost.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i try to post here some events that involve directly foreigners because we are an extended family, in a way. it is very sad that any life was lost here, regardless of nationality, gender or profession. i hope the family and friends have all the support they need now. :(

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
ProfilePhotos

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Looks like a T-bone hit from the SUV to the other. Understandable that the SUV that got hit in the middle pillar is the one the teacher was riding on.

Just how was this possible? Must had been a turn by the SUV with the teacher on and the SUV that hit them coming straight at them.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
"Seg?n la informaci?n de algunos testigos las j?venes norteamericanas iban pasando el sem?foro en luz verde cuando otro veh?culo las impact?."

So they had the green light and the car that hit them ran the red light and at a high speed too, looking at the impact.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
A day of joy quickly turned to tragedy for the parents of Megan Garven. The couple had just celebrated their 26th Wedding Anniversary when they heard the news. Megan, their first born and only daughter, was dead.

The 24-year-old Philadelphia woman, who taught at a Christian school in the Dominican Republic, was killed in a car accident that also injured a fellow teacher and a student.

Police say Garven died after the vehicle in which she was traveling struck another in the city of Santiago. Garven had been teaching third grade at Santiago Christian School.

Mike Lukens, Garven's Uncle, says the woman's parents learned of her death around 1 a.m.

"You dread the call early in the morning," said Lukens. "You hope it never comes but sometimes it does. You're never prepared for it. I think you expect an older person to die. But you don't expect someone who's 24 to be gone. So that makes it really hard."

Garven taught at the school starting in 2009 as a student teacher and then joined the faculty full-time in 2011 after attending Cairn University located in Langhorne, Pa. Her family says she loved teaching the kids about God.

"She loved Jesus," said Lukens. "That's why she was there. She gave up working here in the states and probably making a whole lot more money to go live there and give her life to those kids."

Prior to graduating, Garven taught in Philadelphia.

Garven, the oldest of four children and the only daughter, had traveled extensively with her family. According to the University, she had participated in many religious missions to countries including Peru, Mexico, Brazil and also throughout the United States. On her personal webpage, Megan credited her dad, a pastor, and her mom, a teacher, as the reason why she was in the Dominican Republic and giving to the community.

"Megan just lit up their lives with her smile and with her life," said Lukens. "She was just a joy to be with."

Injured were a fellow teacher, identified as Audrey Hickman of Chicago, and a student whose name was not released. The driver of the other vehicle in the accident late Tuesday was also injured.

The school canceled classes Wednesday.

Despite their loss, Garven's family says their faith will help them heal.

"That is what will carry us through," said Lukens. "Knowing that God is here and He comforts us and He gives us strength to press on. We know we will see her again someday."

Garven's family will fly to the Dominican Republic Thursday morning and hold a service at her school. They will then have her body flown back to the Philadelphia area where she will be laid to rest.

Copyright Associated Press

May 12, 2005
Sad story. This and many others like it can be avoided if people didn't drive like savages and chivos sin ley. RIP young lady.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Its very sad. Obviously the previoius stats which were posted a couple weeks back how the DR is essentially the highest death rate for traffic accidents is a disgusting accolade. Something needs to be done and obviously the culture of driving where we need to get from A to B as fast as possible without regard to safety. Again the word that seems to be missing in the DR "accountability" needs to change before there will be any positive effect. If, like in the civilized world, you cause an accident where it is determined to be negligence on your part, YOU are repsonsible, if this causes death, you go to JAIL!
The rule of the road currently in many cases (not all) is he who has the most money or best insurance pays for the damages and the costs associated with injuries. How many times have we heard stories where motos cause accidents or crash themselves into a car and they get compensated for their injuries.
This along with the consistant electricity, better education are areas that need to change if this country is going to change for the better. You can build as many IKEAS, MALLS, and Fancy towers to hide the real problems but they wont go away!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Its very sad. Obviously the previoius stats which were posted a couple weeks back how the DR is essentially the highest death rate for traffic accidents is a disgusting accolade. Something needs to be done and obviously the culture of driving where we need to get from A to B as fast as possible without regard to safety. Again the word that seems to be missing in the DR "accountability" needs to change before there will be any positive effect. If, like in the civilized world, you cause an accident where it is determined to be negligence on your part, YOU are repsonsible, if this causes death, you go to JAIL!
The rule of the road currently in many cases (not all) is he who has the most money or best insurance pays for the damages and the costs associated with injuries. How many times have we heard stories where motos cause accidents or crash themselves into a car and they get compensated for their injuries.
This along with the consistant electricity, better education are areas that need to change if this country is going to change for the better. You can build as many IKEAS, MALLS, and Fancy towers to hide the real problems but they wont go away!

That would be the key to it all...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Its very sad. Obviously the previoius stats which were posted a couple weeks back how the DR is essentially the highest death rate for traffic accidents is a disgusting accolade.

I don't remember the DR being the highest.

Also, I actually read the report and it wasn't even based on real statistics from the DR, just another hodge podge UN funded analysis.

As I've stated before, by far the majority of accidents here are motorcycle and motorcycle drinking related. I base this on first hand experience and the fact that my sister in law has worked in the public hospital in Santiago for more than years. Compared to living in Orlando I have seen much less fatal accidents involving cars here in Santiago.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I don't remember the DR being the highest.

Also, I actually read the report and it wasn't even based on real statistics from the DR, just another hodge podge UN funded analysis.

As I've stated before, by far the majority of accidents here are motorcycle and motorcycle drinking related. I base this on first hand experience and the fact that my sister in law has worked in the public hospital in Santiago for more than years. Compared to living in Orlando I have seen much less fatal accidents involving cars here in Santiago.

Your right there was some small unknown of island with a population of 600ish people that ranked number 1

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Looks like a T-bone hit from the SUV to the other. Understandable that the SUV that got hit in the middle pillar is the one the teacher was riding on.

Just how was this possible? Must had been a turn by the SUV with the teacher on and the SUV that hit them coming straight at them.

From the article, it looks like she was getting onto the highway from a secondary street - my guess would be when making a left turn on a green light, while the other SUV was cruising along in the "ignore all traffic lights since it's night and I am on a major street" mode.