Recall I told you this was going to start happening!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
When you are a foreigner in the DR, no matter if permanent resident or just started, this is what can happen:

WEST PALM BEACH ? Gulf Stream billionaire Harry Sargeant III should not only pay the brother-in-law of the king of Jordan $28.8 million but it should pay him as much as $8 million more, an appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The 4th District Court of Appeal upheld a 2011 Palm Beach County jury decision that Sargeant, a formidable GOP fundraiser, cut Mohammad Al-Saleh out of the profits from $2.7 billion in defense contracts to deliver fuel to troops in Iraq. Further, the court upheld Al-Saleh?s claims that he is entitled to interest dating back to August 2009, the end of the last contract.

Attorney Michael Kibler, who represents Al-Saleh, said the ruling will put another $3 million to $8 million in the pocket of his client ? who is married to the sister of Jordan?s King Abdullah II and has a house in Palm Beach. In post-judgment interest alone, the initial award has ballooned to about $32 million, he said.
Attorneys representing Sargeant, a former U.S. Marine Corps fighter pilot who made millions expanding a family-owned shipping business, declined comment on whether they planned to appeal. Kibler said he doubted an appeal would succeed.

It?s been a bad couple of weeks for Sargeant. Earlier this month, his brother sued him for $7 million in Palm Beach County Circuit Court. In addition to cutting him out of a lucrative deal, Daniel Sargeant claims his brother has managed to dig himself and therfore family businesses deeply into debt.

Harry Sargeant in January was ordered by a Texas federal judge to pay $22 million in another fraud case. This one involved the fraudulent transfer of an asphalt refinery. The order is being appealed.
As a result of the mounting judgments, Daniel Sargeant says in the lawsuit filed here, that Harry Sargeant was stripped of his management role in family-owned companies.

Complicating the already substantial debts, is Harry Sargeant?s ?taste for very expensive toys,? such as his $7.5 million mansion, three private jets, numerous exotic cars and a fire truck, according to the lawsuit.
?Harry is now insolvent by either definition of insolvency ? liabilities exceeding assets or inability to pay his debts when they come due,? Daniel Sargeant wrote.

Kilber, however, said he isn?t worried that Sargeant may be unable to pay Al-Saleh. ?Oh lord, no,? he said.
Money has been tracked to foreign accounts he controls in Dubai, the Dominican Republic and the Netherlands. Once Sargeant?s appeals are complete, Kibler said, money can be seized from foreign accounts.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/appeals-courts-rules-gulf-stream-billionaire-shoul/nXr7K/

The DR is bound to provide data to the US gov on their citizen's assets in the country. However, if a US citizen becomes naturalized in the DR, then he/she becomes a dully Dominican citizen and as per Law their assets can only be reported to any foreign request (even when the person holds dual nationality and the said country recognizes it as well) after a higher court rules on it(I think even the Supreme court must be if I'm not mistaken).

This case was just recently ruled on...

What they call "tracked" accounts, is nothing more than the request of assets held by a citizen of the US in the DR from their authorities. These requests don't need court approval and are handled via the gov's ministries.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Relax, this is really nothing new. Of course, if you have a high profile law suit then they will follow the money trail. I really don't think that the US Gov is going to be that interested in an ex-pat that is making some interest unless it is a large amount of money. Chill, Interpol isn't coming for you.

LTSteve

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Relax, this is really nothing new. Of course, if you have a high profile law suit then they will follow the money trail. I really don't think that the US Gov is going to be that interested in an ex-pat that is making some interest unless it is a large amount of money. Chill, Interpol isn't coming for you.

LTSteve

You still don't get it...

This has nothing to do with amount and all to do with access to information on citizens/non-citizens.

The last agreement the DR signed with Washington, made it all too clear the U.S. required and got access to their own citizen's data in the DR. This was achieve via the banking agreements under DR-CAFTA. The only recourse for the DR is when foreign nationals from the U.S. become Naturalized Dominican citizens, under that agreement.

Not only that, but that specific recourse was an unintended benefit derivative from citizenship, as it was a protection the U.S. put in the agreement to shield their naturalized U.S. citizens from the DR/elsewhere. Only this also worked both ways.

A U.S. citizen that resides in the DR but has not become a citizen, is not shielded from this intrusion.

A U.S citizen that resides in the DR and has become a DR citizen is shielded by the Law and must undergo a court ruling to have that info released, which would be 100% to his own knowledge of such request and able to appeal the ruling all the way to the Corte de Ultima instancia (Supreme Court).

All this came on the heels of the DR-CAFTA sequential agreements and lastly FTA.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I guess we see how the rich make their money.... steal it from other rich people. LOL

People will tend to lend to a person that they "know" has money, rather than take chances with honest people that are broke.

I'm more weary of well to do friends offering too good to be true deals or asking for large loans, than those less fortunate I socialize with. Time has given me a great teaching of sorts on this...