Plaza Restauracion, Santiago RD$ 1.3 billion

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
This is the long awaited project that will also offer new parking facilities for the city of Santiago.
It's estimated to take an initial investment of RD$ 1.3 billion pesos and accommodate hundreds of stores.

This project was stalled since late 2010, as no agreements could be reached with a hold-out property owner that was smack right in the middle of the project's construction. After more than two years of court rulings, the holdout has been taken out of the picture and demolition work was started in earnest.

The guy wanted a ridiculous amount of money after a contract in principle was signed for a pre-negotiated amount. He got wind of what was coming in the property and reneged on the agreement. Courts sided with the developers after negotiating by the parts failed to settle the contract out of court.

I posted on this before here. Now the project is going to be 100% a private investor's development, where before it was a city/private contract.

Some data on the project developing now:

217583_258002931013290_1539403052_n.jpg

943338_261126420700941_493581843_n.jpg

197732_257960417684208_1727878132_n.jpg

947184_256422984504618_759823841_n.jpg

palarest.png

parq04.jpg

parq03.jpg

parq02.jpg

942195_263360527144197_864026257_n.jpg

260282_263363247143925_969927416_n.jpg

923133_263362607143989_1586222448_n.jpg

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Very interesting, great location. Out of curiosity what is the purple shaded area on the map?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
This new project will attempt to solve the parking problem caused by the lack of parking lots in el centro historico, so maybe it wont be criticized by the mall hating crew in the forum.

Here's a video with many details of this new shopping center.

[video=youtube;RqJ6hGjQt3Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJ6hGjQt3Q[/video]

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How great, another mall, and they thoughtfully worked out the parking issues. Super.

I don't hate malls. They are just way down on the list of important things to be done in the DR like 24/7 power for one example.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
How great, another mall, and they thoughtfully worked out the parking issues. Super.

I don't hate malls. They are just way down on the list of important things to be done in the DR like 24/7 power for one example.

So... You don't have 24/7 at your house? We always had! It's called grid, inversor, planta...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So... You don't have 24/7 at your house? We always had! It's called grid, inversor, planta...

With that kind of response, it is no wonder why you were selected by the government to post on DR1.[video=youtube;tvtJPs8IDgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtJPs8IDgU[/video]

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
With that kind of response, it is no wonder why you were selected by the government to post on DR1.

Nope! It's just you and a few here that expect to have 24/7 service here unlike the rest of us that KNOW and LIVE the reality of how the country works like, unlike your nanny state back home.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand this pessimism and bleak thoughts. this is a great idea. there are many people in DR who need money laundering opportunities and it is remarkable how dominican businessmen come with immediate response to satisfy those needs.
and a place is gong to have a parking to boot! seriously, people, what could go wrong here?!

it is disgusting how some dr1ers keep on bashing such excellent investments. maybe you are too sour and cynical for DR? party poopers. shame.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
They added another whole block to the proyect, so the mall will be twice bigger than what was intended in the original desing. Badically the proyect will take up the two entire blocks formed by Av. Lad Carreras, calle Sabana Larga, calle Cuba, and Calle Restauracion, with Calle independecia dividing the to wings of the mall.

Here are some pics of how the recently added south wing of the mall is hoing to look.

Las dos alas del proyecto
1459122_383832168430365_487961280_n.jpg

Sabana Larga con Independencia
1450696_383832178430364_711449251_n.jpg

Calle (futuro boulevard) Independencia, dividiendo la Plaza
941844_383832281763687_780601111_n.jpg

Area de restaurant en la Independencia y Sabana Larga. Entrada y salida de automoviles.
1452296_383832291763686_369387501_n.jpg

Calle Sabana Larga y Restauracion.
1456551_383832191763696_756763615_n.jpg

Calle Sabana Larga con Calle Restauracion.
1458487_383832278430354_1469630167_n.jpg

Plaza Restauracion [/CENTER]

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Great, will this one be half empty like the other ones?

Umm? There are only three malls in Santiago, the rest are small strip malls or better known here as Plazas, maybe that's what you're refering to. Out of those three, Colinas is so empty that when I go there especially during the weekends, it takes me 15 minutes to find a parking space, Plaza Internacional has all the well known stored, and in the whole mall there's about 3 vacant spots, yep that's what I call half empty.Bella Terra is try half empty, about 60% of the mall vacant, though is the newer one and it also has the worst desing, lol no AC = failure, the only good thing is that is very lively at night, with many good bars.

Not to mention all the new supermarkts/plazas in Santiago which are always full, it took me 20 minutes to get into el Bravo on a tuesday afternoon, there was a gridlock since so many cars were comming out and going in. You see I believe when the big players built things, most of the time they do it right, they do their market research, they pick a good location etc.. Many of those small plazas scatter throughout the city didn't do any of this, and thus their half empty or empty.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
2 out of those 3 malls are almost empty. Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. Plaza Internacional is the only decent one, but really small.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
2 out of those 3 malls are almost empty. Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. Plaza Internacional is the only decent one, but really small.

When is the secret time colinas mall is empty? Every time I go there to get some teriyaki from the food court i have to park on the exposed top level, every other spot is taken! Please share!

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009

I think you didn't understand my sarcasm, when I said "Colinas is so empty that it takes me 15 minutes to find a parking space" I was clearly being sarcastic. If we measure the success of these malls by the number of people who go there and by the number of stores then Colinas is by far the most successful mall in the city. It has the biggest number of stores and is the most visited out of them all, note Colinas has 70 thousand square meters of retail space that's nearly triple what plaza internacional has.

So correction, out of the three malls, one is half empty, and the other two are doing pretty darn well even for American standards. I think Bella Terra is not doing as good as the others, thanks to a combination of bad design, bad administration, no AC in the hallways, no real food court and one of the worse underground parking lots I've ever seen. Even though, I got to say the mall is slowly growing, el materna infantil will soon open a whole new hospital in the left side of the mall, a few new stores have opened now and then, and Noah is soon opening their second restaurant in the city in the lot where Hooters used to be located.

Last edited:

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I think you didn't understand my sarcasm, when I said "Colinas is so empty that it takes me 15 minutes to find a parking space" I was clearly being sarcastic. If we measure the success of these malls by the number of people who go there and by the number of stores then Colinas is by far the most successful mall in the city. It has the biggest number of stores and is the most visited out of them all, note Colinas has 70 thousand square meters of retail space that's nearly triple what plaza internacional has.

So correction, out of the three malls, one is half empty, and the other two are doing pretty darn well even for American standards. I think Bella Terra is not doing as good as the others, thanks to a combination of bad design, bad administration, no AC in the hallways, no real food court and one of the worse underground parking lots I've ever seen. Even though, I got to say the mall is slowly growing, el materna infantil will soon open a whole new hospital in the left side of the mall, a few new stores have opened now and then, and Noah is soon opening their second restaurant in the city in the lot where Hooters used to be located.

Santiago is on the rise and there are plans afoot to designate it as a pure tourist destination. I love all three of the malls mentioned, however, the emptiness and stores still under construction is a problem. I don't think any of the. Is profitable because the few stores open cannot generate enough revenue to compensate for the others in dereliction.

I used to visit Colinas Mall quite often to offer my taxista's kids the opportunity to play video games and eat at the food court. I enjoy the live shows at SoHo ( on roof ) of Bella Terra and basically just window shop at Plaza International.

Santiago is a beautiful city and has a lot to offer visitors :)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

Santiago is on the rise and there are plans afoot to designate it as a pure tourist destination. I love all three of the malls mentioned, however, the emptiness and stores still under construction is a problem. I don't think any of the. Is profitable because the few stores open cannot generate enough revenue to compensate for the others in dereliction.

I used to visit Colinas Mall quite often to offer my taxista's kids the opportunity to play video games and eat at the food court. I enjoy the live shows at SoHo ( on roof ) of Bella Terra and basically just window shop at Plaza International.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

The only mall I ever see even remotely "empty" is Bella Terra and anyone that thinks for half a second knows why.. What is about 1/2 KM west of Bella Terra on the same exact road?