Safety taking taxis from the SDQ airport?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Has anyone heard of instances where tourists have been robbed, set up, or killed by taxi drivers from the Santo Domingo airport? I'll be visiting Santo Domingo soon and I'd like to know about the safety situation. I'll be arriving on a Sunday early afternoon at SDQ and taking a taxi to the city (Bella Vista). Any thoughts?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you're worried, have your hotel or friends send one to meet you.

You'll be comfortable, know the price in advance and have a trusted driver

Safe trip.......

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
there have been instances of people being robbed at night after dark, by people pretending to be police......not many but there was a warning issued by US Embassy about four months ago.

I havent personally heard about any problems in the daytime. I havent heard about anyone being robbed by a Taxi driver.

The Taxi Rank outside SDQ is very visible, and the prices are fixed, and written on a board. From memory I think the price into santo domingo town is about US$35.........

dave

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have never had any problems with the taxis.not from the airport or anywhere.. Nor have I EVER heard of ANY problems whatsover with the taxis in Santo Domingo anywhere. In fact, the taxis here are one of the few things that run impeccably. Really, no worries.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The taxi to go in SD is Aero. Sorry just don't have the number just now, but every hotel... has it. They have some drivers who'll scam you, but its still less than with the other ones.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I have done that many times. Nothing ever happened to me. I took a taxi right at the area where you leave the airport. I only picked marked taxis and took their card before I got into the car. I also got their name and card and promised them a tip and to use them while I am in town.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Make sure you meet the manager who works near the taxi area and tell you need taxi to go to Hotel directly, that way they know you dont bs here.. Simple