north coast new port

Status
Not open for further replies.

champ

Dec 2, 2006
Have they started the dredging and construction at the port in mamon,any info or pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually today in Diario Libre this article was posted (translation)
SANTO DOMINGO. The physical labor Cruise Terminal "Amber Cove" in the Bay of Maimon, Puerto Plata Province, started at a good pace with forecasts to end the work in December 2014, the Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia.

He said that the construction stands at a cost of U.S. $ 85 million and will be operated by Carnival Corporation, but other cruise lines may touch as a tourist destination.

He said that through the new port could come to the country about 600 thousand cruise, which will drive the Puerto Plata.

The project will include shops, market, park area, water environment, amenities and public area, generating more than 800 direct jobs and is ready to receive ships simultaneously at least four thousand thousand passengers and crew.

"Although it's a time that broke ground, is now beginning physical work, because this type of work requires a series of studies, analyzes, removal of wiring that goes into the area," he said.

He said everything that has been done in recent months as a public company they have to tender the works and it all works were tendered, "said Javier.

So I guess things are finally getting started.

Bob K

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I wouldn't hold my breath they start very soon, as Carnival has a pile of lawsuits against them because of not being able to keep their ships in running order.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't hold my breath they start very soon, as Carnival has a pile of lawsuits against them because of not being able to keep their ships in running order.
That, plus their food sucks. I hope other companies will be using the port. Carnival is to "American" for me. I prefer the Euro.. style cruises.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am waiting to see how people will f**k up this opportunity. i hope the government will step in - especially when sindicalistas de transporte are concerned - are regulate some of the prices. i am sure the taxista will want to charge some ridiculous money to take folks out to POP or wherever else. there should be a set list of prices - LOW PRICES - clearly displayed in the port. this and that much for a ride to here and there.

and i wonder how the businesses will respond, especially maimon restaurants. it is sure they will hike up the prices, the question is, by how much?

i will not be surprised if greed kills this initiative completely for anyone outside the port settings managed and run by carnival.

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
dv8, they will f**k it up if they allow the sometimes Dominican scamming, harrassing, pestering behavior to prevail. I have traveled to and loved the DR for about 25 years. I learned to see beyond that surface tourist treatment Dominicans hand out. But one-day cruise passengers don't have time for that education.

I also follow Cruise Critic website, and was shocked to see the impression cruise pax have of their stops in Samana. They're terrified of being hurt and ripped off. Some guy named Terry is doing a land-office business in Samana because the cruise pax think the only safe way they can get off the ship is if Terry takes them. And we're talking Samana, here.

If Dominicans want to profit from the cruise port they have to dial back on their usual tourist behavior. No pestering. No touching. No scamming. No setting an outrageous price and seeing how much you can rip them off for. No promise them this, and then dish them out an inferior that. No taking them on a tour and bringing them to your cousin's place where you give him an hour to try to sell them his junky shlt.

They wanna know how to profit from the cruise port? Go see what Terry is doing in Samana. He's got it down.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Of course Terry is from Pennsylvania and he originally came to the DR to do volunteer work. Hard to imagine many Dominicans that possess his underlying qualities, unfortunately.

dv8, they will f**k it up if they allow the sometimes Dominican scamming, harrassing, pestering behavior to prevail. I have traveled to and loved the DR for about 25 years. I learned to see beyond that surface tourist treatment Dominicans hand out. But one-day cruise passengers don't have time for that education.

I also follow Cruise Critic website, and was shocked to see the impression cruise pax have of their stops in Samana. They're terrified of being hurt and ripped off. Some guy named Terry is doing a land-office business in Samana because the cruise pax think the only safe way they can get off the ship is if Terry takes them. And we're talking Samana, here.

If Dominicans want to profit from the cruise port they have to dial back on their usual tourist behavior. No pestering. No touching. No scamming. No setting an outrageous price and seeing how much you can rip them off for. No promise them this, and then dish them out an inferior that. No taking them on a tour and bringing them to your cousin's place where you give him an hour to try to sell them his junky shlt.

They wanna know how to profit from the cruise port? Go see what Terry is doing in Samana. He's got it down.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Sadly, i dont think a minister of tourism or an extra million tourists per year will ensue an once of change in these people. Their tactics, integrity, mannerism are the result of generations. They will only see each visitor as a one time opportunity to get all, and whatever they can with whatever means necessary.
I know some of the good Dominican people(there are many) who may read this will be insulted, sadly it is not they who usually touch or come across these visitors as they are few, its the opportunists that paint the picture and experience

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
i am waiting to see how people will f**k up this opportunity. i hope the government will step in - especially when sindicalistas de transporte are concerned - are regulate some of the prices. i am sure the taxista will want to charge some ridiculous money to take folks out to POP or wherever else. there should be a set list of prices - LOW PRICES - clearly displayed in the port. this and that much for a ride to here and there.

and i wonder how the businesses will respond, especially maimon restaurants. it is sure they will hike up the prices, the question is, by how much?

i will not be surprised if greed kills this initiative completely for anyone outside the port settings managed and run by carnival.

The port property and facilities including the loading/unloading of passengers into buses and taxis will be strictly controlled by Carnival its licensed excursion providers. Carnival has experience in all kinds of ports where taxi unions have traditionally caused problems. There will be strict rules and rates, and violators will not be allowed back into the property.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I ass-u-me if any real progress had been made Pichardo would have posted 100 pics. Its already one year off the original schedule and I am sure Carnival is not to blame.

But the original post asks if the physical work has started, bashing the local govt or Carnival Cruise Lines doesn't address he question.
Der Fish

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
I've cruised often, and will be doing so again. Many cruise pax are well-aware that the ship's excursions are way over-priced, and they actively seek local options for excursions. It's usually first-time or novice cruisers who buy the ships' overpriced excursions. I almost never take the ship's excursions. I research beforehand and often link up with fellow pax to hire a local driver/operator (with a website usually) who offers something better at a better price. This is what Terry is doing in Samana.

People who get off the ship for excursions for the day almost always spend some money (some more than others). They do want to see something of the country, even a little slice of life in that six or so hours. The cost is usually about $75 per person, unless there is equipment involved (catamaran, zip line, ATCs, like that). Then it's about $150 per person. People expect to get a small minivan or minibus with about 10 in the group. This, by the way, really beats the ships' excursions, where they load 60 or so people into a bus, and at every stop everyone has to wait and wait and wait for the slowest person to get back on the bus. The six-hour excursion usually includes a pretty nice lunch featuring local foods, and a beer or rum cocktail two or three times along the road. People want a guide who speaks intelligible English, and who tells them about the lives of people in the country as they ride along. They want to stop where there are nice pictures to take. They want a lesson or two, so they feel they are learning - this is a banana plantation. Let's get out and I'll show you the banana plant, and you can see how little bananas start, etc, and so on. They'd like to hear about the last earthquake, hurricane, etc., and learn about how the people cope with these problems. They like to stop at a beach for 45 minutes or so. Then they're pretty happy to get taken back to the dock. Cruise pax taking independent excursions live in fear they will miss the ship - better have a backup plan in case the van breaks down. They don't mind a short souvenir shopping opportunity, but enough is enough. And no touching, pestering, blah blah blah. Just makes them want to jump back in the van and get back to the ship.

They want to know they will be safe throughout the excursion, and their purse won't be snatched. They want to see how other people live in a different place. But above all, THEY WANT TO GET BACK WELL BEFORE THE SHIP IS SCHEDULED TO SAIL. There can be no fail on that point.

Terry (from what I read on the Cruise Critic boards) has taken it a notch higher. He's actually managed, through word of mouth, to get people to bring stuff for impoverished Dominicans (good for him). So people love his tours even more because they bring socks and coloring books and whatnot, and they get to give them to kids who seem to need them. I don't think this is cynical, but if those cruise pax thought they could have their tour and help needy local village people at the same time, that would be a winner. It is for Terry.

Those who get off the ship and stay near the dock just want to have a look around. Leave them alone and don't pester them - they're not gonna buy anything anyway. Or, they want an honest taxi price to the nearest nice beach, with a guaranteed pickup time that is honored. On the beach, they expect to take a lounge chair associated with a beach bar, and they want to order beer, margaritas and snacks that won't give them diahhrea. And have a decent toilet to use.

I do recommend anyone interested in serving the cruise ship market take a good long time to read the Cruise Critic website. You can learn everything you need to know there.

Status
Not open for further replies.