The Ultimate Have-Nots in a Society of Have-Nots

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
MAY 20, 2013, 8:00 AM
Vlad Sokhin's Photos of Haiti's Child Servants - NYTimes.com

The Ultimate Have-Nots in a Society of Have-Nots

By DEBORAH SONTAG
Twelve-year-old Judeline crouches at the feet of a much younger girl, lifting high a makeup kit so the little girl, Boubou, can apply a colored pencil to her brow. Boubou studies herself intently in the kit?s mirror; Judeline, hidden to her, stares at us with a look that seems both humiliated and beseeching.

Taken by the photographer Vlad Sokhin for a series called ?Restavek: Child Slavery in Haiti,?? it is one of the most haunting images (Slide 4) of a Haitian servant child that I have ever seen.

Judeline?s hair is close-cropped, boyish. Boubou, the 5-year-old daughter of the family for whom Judeline works, is beribboned. Boubou has natural, apparent self-regard; Judeline, her bra strap slipping down her thin arm, has learned to be self-effacing to survive.

It is not easy to photograph people who are invisible in their own society, to shine a light on them and at the same time reveal how unseen they are to those around them.

That is the strength of what Mr. Sokhin does, perhaps partly because he approached the subject with the outrage of a fresh eye. Born in Russia and educated in Lisbon, he now lives in Sydney, Australia, and had never set foot in the Americas, much less in Haiti, until last year.

He visited New York last fall to take part in the Eddie Adams Workshop for photojournalists and in a group exhibition. With a few free weeks between the two events, he said in a phone interview from Australia, ?I thought I?d just go to Haiti and see what?s there.?

While preparing for his trip, Mr. Sokhin, who is drawn to post-disaster and post-conflict societies, happened upon the memoir of a former child servant, Jean-Robert Cadet, who is Haiti?s best-known restavek ?abolitionist.? Mr. Sokhin was struck by his story. He had never heard of the restavek phenomenon, he said, and to discover that, in the 21st century, a nation born of a slave revolt was ?using its own children as slaves was ridiculous to me.??

International advocates for children estimate that there are 250,000 restaveks in Haiti ? children working as unpaid domestic servants after their parents, who cannot afford to raise them, give them away.

The literal translation of ?restavek? is relatively benign: these children, mostly girls, are ?live-ins? or ?stay-withs.?? But the social translation is brutal. To be a restavek is to be the ultimate have-not in a society of have-nots; the word itself is a slur.

In 1990, I wrote a long story on the restaveks for The Miami Herald?s Sunday magazine. This was before any child advocacy organization had taken up their plight, before groups like the Restavek Freedom Foundation were working to defend, protect and educate them. The phenomenon was everywhere ? scruffy, scrawny children rising before dawn to empty chamber pots, bedding down at night on piles of rags, enduring beatings and sexual assault ? but it was rarely discussed.

Still, many Haitians found it shameful. And amid the relative idealism of that period, not long after the despotic ?President for Life? Jean-Claude Duvalier had fled into exile, it seemed possible that the practice would be relegated to the ash bin of history along with other egregious abuses.

How dispiriting, then, to gaze into the eyes of Mr. Sokhin?s subject Judeline and see the present-day reflection of the sad-eyed 12-year-old restavek named Judith whose painful situation I documented so long ago.

While much has been written about restaveks in the decades since, Mr. Sokhin said he found little ?visual evidence? of the phenomenon. In many photographs, restaveks were indistinguishable from other poor children ? they were dressed raggedly, looked malnourished and lugged water in buckets bigger than themselves.

To document their plight freshly, it was crucial to show them in context, inside the homes where they lived and worked.

Working with one of the many Haitian fixers who are vital to foreign journalists seeking to go beneath the surface of that society, Mr. Sokhin found Judeline?s ?family,?? which was willing to give him unlimited access for several days last fall and during his second trip to Haiti in March.

The father is an English teacher, and, according to Mr. Sokhin, he believes he is giving Judeline an opportunity in life after her own family abandoned her ? not only by providing room and board but by paying for education. Relatively speaking, Mr. Sokhin said, the man sees himself as an enlightened ?master?? who would never strike or abuse the young girl who performs his family?s chores.

That Judeline slept on the hard floor of an unfurnished room was portrayed as her personal choice: ?They say she doesn?t like to sleep on a bed,?? Mr. Sokhin said. The family made the same case for her use of the yard as her bathroom.

In addition to the photograph where Judeline is playing personal attendant to little Boubou, Mr. Sokhin caught several other moments in which family members disregarded her while she served them.

In one photograph, she stands frozen holding a tray, her eyes on the father, whose gaze is cloaked by sunglasses but appears to be fixated on the cold beer she is offering him (Slide 6). In another, she is washing the mother?s hair and the mother, reclining and chewing gum, is blowing a big, pink bubble (Slide 2).

Mr. Sokhin said he tried not to include in his series any pictures that Judeline herself might find degrading. ?I have got much worse pictures,? he said, ?but I didn?t want to show her suffering.?

Sometimes he was forced to put down his camera so he would not be participating in mistreatment, he said. In one photograph (Slide 20), a man who refused to have his identity revealed nonetheless slung his arm around the shirtless shoulders of his restavek boy while Mr. Sokhin was shooting. His head is cut off, a lit cigarette dangles from his hand, and the effect is creepy.

Even creepier, Mr. Sokhin said, was what he declined to photograph next: the man put the cigarette in the little boy?s mouth, laughing.

Another time, a woman was unhappy with how a 9-year-old restavek, Enso, was making her bed. Mr. Sokhin took a few pictures as she started to push the boy around (Slide 10), but put his camera down and intervened when she began beating him, he said.

?A few photographers from the States who have seen these pictures, they have approached me and told me it?s very important to cover this,?? Mr. Sokhin said. ?So I?m not sure if this project is actually finished.??

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This is a wonderful article and astonishing pictures about a very, very sad subject. It is very useful to see how poor the households are in which these children are living. Gives a real shock. I remember a few years back when Cadet launched his foundation and went to Haiti to talk about it.. and some members of the Corbett list talked about how many of the folks in the audience saw nothing wrong with the practice.. since, after all, they were giving food and shelter and even sometimes schooling, to children who were not their own.

I am sure that foreigners who live here can relate to this.. about the beatings. That an American audience is going to be shocked that a restavek may be beaten.. but many here have seen Dominicans deliver what we would consider beatings.. Pao Pao.. with sticks across the bottom of the feet.. My Haitian god daughter, who says that she got more love from me in a couple of years than from her own mother, said that she does not ever remember her mother playing with her, just giving her orders.

The phenomenon of child slavery has now jumped the border to Pedernales where many of the poor Domnican families have taken in Haitian girls who work for food and shleter. I have a friend there who used to work for PLAN who used to argue with one of the women involved, who portrayed herself as a leader of the women's community. He wold keep telling her that if she did not pay the girl, and did not send her to school, she was holding a slave. The woman did not see it hhat way.

I used a bathroom down there, at one of the houses where the Dominican women were sitting outside in the garden talking.. my friend had asked if I could. When I realsied that there was no running water and that the Haitian was going to have to bring it in from the garden, I passed her 20 pesos.

The sad truth is that Haiti has not thrown off the legacy of slavery at all. It is a very rigid class structure... now based on money and connections and ability to speak French. There is no one less generous than an upper crust Haitian. Because they were the only black republic in the hemisphere, and were not welcoming to many foreigners, they have had very few outside mitigating influences and have repeated through the generations the echos of the brutal treatment that they received.

One hopes it will get better. But every aid worker that I have spoken with has reported that things are only getting worse. The only hope that I see is that there is now dual citizenship. Theoretically, the Diaspora could vote.. if, that would do any good. And they can, perhaps, hold office.. I do not know for sure, I have not read the Constitutional amendment.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is a wonderful article and astonishing pictures about a very, very sad subject. It is very useful to see how poor the households are in which these children are living. Gives a real shock. I remember a few years back when Cadet launched his foundation and went to Haiti to talk about it.. and some members of the Corbett list talked about how many of the folks in the audience saw nothing wrong with the practice.. since, after all, they were giving food and shelter and even sometimes schooling, to children who were not their own.

I am sure that foreigners who live here can relate to this.. about the beatings. That an American audience is going to be shocked that a restavek may be beaten.. but many here have seen Dominicans deliver what we would consider beatings.. Pao Pao.. with sticks across the bottom of the feet.. My Haitian god daughter, who says that she got more love from me in a couple of years than from her own mother, said that she does not ever remember her mother playing with her, just giving her orders.

The phenomenon of child slavery has now jumped the border to Pedernales where many of the poor Domnican families have taken in Haitian girls who work for food and shleter. I have a friend there who used to work for PLAN who used to argue with one of the women involved, who portrayed herself as a leader of the women's community. He wold keep telling her that if she did not pay the girl, and did not send her to school, she was holding a slave. The woman did not see it hhat way.

I used a bathroom down there, at one of the houses where the Dominican women were sitting outside in the garden talking.. my friend had asked if I could. When I realsied that there was no running water and that the Haitian was going to have to bring it in from the garden, I passed her 20 pesos.

The sad truth is that Haiti has not thrown off the legacy of slavery at all. It is a very rigid class structure... now based on money and connections and ability to speak French. There is no one less generous than an upper crust Haitian. Because they were the only black republic in the hemisphere, and were not welcoming to many foreigners, they have had very few outside mitigating influences and have repeated through the generations the echos of the brutal treatment that they received.

One hopes it will get better. But every aid worker that I have spoken with has reported that things are only getting worse. The only hope that I see is that there is now dual citizenship. Theoretically, the Diaspora could vote.. if, that would do any good. And they can, perhaps, hold office.. I do not know for sure, I have not read the Constitutional amendment.

Yes their legacy of slavery goes back to Africa.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
the alternative might be massive abortions or child deaths at a very early age... anybody giving any thought how these children come into the world?

although not such a good practice from our Western point of view, what really is the alternative in Haiti? These children are no orphans...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is probably happening all around the world. Anywhere there are orphaned and parentless children this is happening. There are plenty of war torn areas and people who take advantage of any situation there. What is infuriating is that if the World, would spend a fraction of their defense budgets on humanitarian efforts we could go a long way to correcting this. This should be a priority. Children should not be exploited like this.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and to think the government makes it such complete hell to adopt a child like this. into normal, loving family. but foreign. yeah, white devils, pay up.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Kids without parents is the problem.
Having kids you can't afford is the problem.
Mistreatment of kids is the problem.

Giving kids good homes and useful lives is NOT the problem.

This article is written with bias against farming kids out without distinction.
Every culture, every civilization has practised it so their children could survive.
My parents and grandparents did it in the Depression and during WWII.
My wife, a successful businesswoman and an influential community leader started as a live-in ni?era.
She got her first pair of shoes at nine, and she gradually put herself through university.

I am apalled when do-gooders thwart honorable human traditions by relating them to loathsome behaviours that MAY sometimes accompany them. Better a ni?era in a well-to-do family than in an orphanage.

T.S. Eliot:
“Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who ... don’t mean to do harm — but ...
they do not see it ... because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.”

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes it is a sad situation, but as some people have noted which one is the lesser evil? The "owner" who at least provides food and shelter or the real "family" that brought the child into this world without having a way to take care of him/her and then gave him/her away. This happens in The DR as well, although to a much lesser extent.

I've personally known several kids that have been given to someone else to raise. Often times though it is to a "madrina/padrino" or some other family member and they're treated slightly better than the Restaveks, but in essence it is the same as the child ends up doing the bulk of the work and most times is treated differently than the other kids.

Widespread use contraception would go a long way to solve this problem.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND, Never forget, it's a "New York Times" piece!
Work your a$$ off in a families house, or starve to death????
YOU DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least they are "Loved" by the catholic church.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
The only hope that I see is that there is now dual citizenship. Theoretically, the Diaspora could vote.. if, that would do any good. And they can, perhaps, hold office.. I do not know for sure, I have not read the Constitutional amendment.

The diaspora is no better.

Once in haiti, they revert to the old ways.

This is an issue for Haitians in Haiti to solve...not some ex-haitian with dual nationality and split allegiance.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Editors? Note

<address class="byline author vcard">By THE NEW YORK TIMES</address><!-- The Content -->Editors? Note | Wednesday, May 22, 2013:
After a post and a slide show about Haitian child servants were featured here and on the Home page on Monday, The Times learned that the photographer had a business relationship with the man whose family was the subject of many of the pictures. The man, Lesli Zoe Petit-Phar, had been paid $100 a day to be the photographer?s driver, guide and translator ? a so-called ?fixer.? Had The Times known this, it would not have published the pictures or written the post describing them. Both the post and the slide show have been removed.
Editors for The Times spoke with the fixer, Lesli Zoe Petit-Phar, on Tuesday night. He confirmed that he had worked for the photographer, Vlad Sokhin, and he expressed concern that Mr. Sokhin had unfairly portrayed his family?s relationship with Judeline, the girl who lives with them. Mr. Petit-Phar was shown in one of the pictures being served a beer by the girl.
Mr. Sokhin acknowledged on Tuesday night that he had failed to disclose his relationship with Mr. Petit-Phar to the reporter writing about his photographs. In fact, when the reporter asked him how he had located a family willing to be photographed with child servants, he responded that his fixer had found the family. But he did not say that it was the fixer?s family.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Editors’ Note

<address class="byline author vcard">By THE NEW YORK TIMES</address><!-- The Content -->Editors’ Note | Wednesday, May 22, 2013:
After a post and a slide show about Haitian child servants were featured here and on the Home page on Monday, The Times learned that the photographer had a business relationship with the man whose family was the subject of many of the pictures. The man, Lesli Zoe Petit-Phar, had been paid $100 a day to be the photographer’s driver, guide and translator — a so-called “fixer.” Had The Times known this, it would not have published the pictures or written the post describing them. Both the post and the slide show have been removed.
Editors for The Times spoke with the fixer, Lesli Zoe Petit-Phar, on Tuesday night. He confirmed that he had worked for the photographer, Vlad Sokhin, and he expressed concern that Mr. Sokhin had unfairly portrayed his family’s relationship with Judeline, the girl who lives with them. Mr. Petit-Phar was shown in one of the pictures being served a beer by the girl.
Mr. Sokhin acknowledged on Tuesday night that he had failed to disclose his relationship with Mr. Petit-Phar to the reporter writing about his photographs. In fact, when the reporter asked him how he had located a family willing to be photographed with child servants, he responded that his fixer had found the family. But he did not say that it was the fixer’s family.

Still doesn't really change the reality of the situation, does it?