Trujillo's Grandson Considering Presidential Run In 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
has he committed any other crime apart of having that last name? then still a better candidate than leonel. or hippo. or miguel vargas. or amable aristy.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not a chance...BTW can he even run? Was he born in The DR? Does he have citizenship from another country?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
has he committed any other crime apart of having that last name?

Does he have any other "merit", apart from having that last name?

Let's not be naive, he is trying to get traction using his despicable ancestor's history.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I hope the man is in good physical condition because he'll be carrying some pretty heavy baggage.

May 12, 2005
has he committed any other crime apart of having that last name? then still a better candidate than leonel. or hippo. or miguel vargas. or amable aristy.

It will be nice to get some fresh faces and ideas in the political arena. Let's see what he has to say.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not a chance...BTW can he even run? Was he born in The DR? Does he have citizenship from another country?

About that 2nd citizenship....

If a Dominican born male is a dual citizen because his father was American, does that preclude him from running for President of DR?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If a Dominican born male is a dual citizen because his father was American, does that preclude him from running for President of DR?

There are two previous presidents I know of who were dual citizen: Hip?lito and Leonel. And I don't think any of them got it from their respective parents, but was instead the result a voluntary action. If that action did not preclude them from running for president, I can't think of any other mean of getting dual citizenship that would.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are two previous presidents I know of who were dual citizen: Hip?lito and Leonel. And I don't think any of them got it from their respective parents, but was instead the result a voluntary action. If that action did not preclude them from running for president, I can't think of any other mean of getting dual citizenship that would.

Okay, thanks. I thought I had read somewhere that it was not permitted. There's an ex-general that some people are supporting as a candidate in 2016, his father was American, so I wondered......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure they are, but they had to claim they are not. Hipolito did let it slip in an interview that he had dual citizenship and it had to be followed by a swift 'clarification' from the presidency.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he sounds very well spoken and intelligent. the journalist from accento as well, very good.

i like what he said: Yo no me considero ni apto, ni adecuado para pedir perd?n por algo en lo que yo no tuve nada que ver, yo nac? en el a?o 1970, despu?s de la era de Trujillo.

he handled those questions about trujillo very well. whether truthfully, it's another story. but very calmly.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He has a lot of practice. He does and says the same crap every year around the end of May, when a new anniversary of Trujillo's assassination is nearing (May 30, 1961). Calladito se ve mas bonito, some would say.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
castle, in politics what matters is not what is being said but how. if he can sell himself well he'll find plenty of support.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
castle, in politics what matters is not what is being said but how. if he can sell himself well he'll find plenty of support.

That is true. However, I think he hasn't been able to sell himself, and that's why he every year comes back with the same speech with no real results so far. He says he doesn't have to apologize for what Trujillo did, and I agree, but then he wants to claim political benefits for other things Trujillo did. I think that if he wants to gather enough supporters to do something beyond his yearly interview at the end of May, he needs to man up and either take on Trujillo's faults or explain (convincingly) why he thinks the bad things were not as others say. He hasn't done either thus far. He says he's against corruption, but he comes from a family that stole all they have ever gotten (and still have) from the people of DR. And then he says all those things were stolen from his family, like they ever really belonged to them. I think he's full of it. A poor soul who hasn't been able to move on from events from he wasn't even born yet.
This country is still suffering from that horrible period. People still live under an unfair boss/subaltern relationship model. Bosses are to be feared. Subaltern are to be quiet and submissive. At work, within the family, in society in general. Few people really realize how much damage was done by Trujillo to the social fabric of the Dominican Republic.

"Nothing is more dangerous than letting the same person stay for too long in power. The people get used to obey him, and he gets used to command them, from which tyranny and encroachment emerge." Simon Bolivar.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Very surprised to see in the article posted by the OP that people in the military were supposedly supporting him. The Constitution prohibits military participation in the campaigns of candidates and this has been observed in past elections as far as I know.

I wonder if it is true, and, if so, what is being done to find out who they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.