When will the DR water systems be repaired?

Jan 3, 2003
Why isn't there any discussion on repairing the water system? Why doesn't Pick and company ever speak of repairing the most basic fundamental resource which all humans need namely water? We can not drink the water in the DR. We can't bathe in pressurized water as in other parts of the world but most if they have the money bathe in tricklings out of a "tinaco". It's nice when the "tincao" is full but halfway the pressure drops substantially. Heck, many millions in the DR unless they have their own created water systems do not have running water to speak of.

Cubetas Pinturas Popular filled do not count. When is a serious discussion going to occur in the DR regarding water? Distracting us with how it is worse elsewhere does not count. Distracting us with the same pics of luxurious towers does not count. When is the govt going to fix the entire water and sewage system? Let's first fix the basics and then build the METROS!!!

I hear endlessly about the electrical problems but not water. When will the water systems be repaired in such a way as to provide water at a pressurized rate and potable? Or is the problem so great that even talking about it is opening up a hornet's nest. With clean water comes clean food comes sanitation and a betterment of the entire country as a whole. So, when will this happen? I am interested in water. Coming from a farm family, water is paramount. So, when will it happen???

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
We have a fantastic water treatment plant in Las Terrenas. The problem is that they can only afford to run it for four hours a day because of electricity costs.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
O&C until the electricity problem is fixed there can be no fix for the water systems either...you need power to run the water pumps. I do agree with you that this is paramount. If only the electricity and water problems were fixed he stress level of the general population would be reduced by at least 50% IMO.

It's amazing how much time of his/her day the average Dominican spends worrying about water and power...if at a minimum they could give the people a schedule of when the power will go out and when it will come back (meaning water as well) this at least would be some progress.

I was listening to Ruben Bichara in "El Poder de la Manana" yesterday and he was explaining how dire the situation really is. The electrical companies are taking in about 120 million USD a month, out of that about 100 million are spent on fuel, loans and administrative expenses, thus the government subsidizes it with about 1.2 billion USD a year just to mantain the current level of performance.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
it is no wonder that the expressions most heard that bring joy to the average family are:

1. Hay Luz! - followed by an enormous increase in sound systems blasting den-bow, bachata, son and salsa
2. Hay Agua! - followed by collective washing and scrubbing

It really is sad and funny at the same time :(

It is all politics though - the politicos can only afford so much subsidies and that only can pay for very intermittent service. the populace cannot afford to pay for these services.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Why isn't there any discussion on repairing the water system? Why doesn't Pick and company ever speak of repairing the most basic fundamental resource which all humans need namely water? We can not drink the water in the DR. We can't bathe in pressurized water as in other parts of the world but most if they have the money bathe in tricklings out of a "tinaco". It's nice when the "tincao" is full but halfway the pressure drops substantially. Heck, many millions in the DR unless they have their own created water systems do not have running water to speak of. Cubetas Pinturas Popular filled do not count. When is a serious discussion going to occur in the DR regarding water? Distracting us with how it is worse elsewhere does not count. Distracting us with the same pics of luxurious towers does not count. When is the govt going to fix the entire water and sewage system? Let's first fix the basics and then build the METROS!!! I hear endlessly about the electrical problems but not water. When will the water systems be repaired in such a way as to provide water at a pressurized rate and potable? Or is the problem so great that even talking about it is opening up a hornet's nest. With clean water comes clean food comes sanitation and a betterment of the entire country as a whole. So, when will this happen? I am interested in water. Coming from a farm family, water is paramount. So, when will it happen???

Why? Is it broken?

We have water at home 24/7 for as long since I was born and before that. So, don't tell me you can't afford a home with a continuous water supply to take a shower with?

Again with the comparisons! Where you came from and the DR are two completely different things... You have your nanny gov, we have our DYS system.

That's why when Katrina hit (to provide an example) and your nanny failed miserably, the kids had to eat chit and couldn't even drink potable water if their lives depended on it (which it did).

It looked worst than Haiti there for months on end... AND still recovering (if ever it will look 50% of what it was before it).

People in the DR learn from a young age to be self sufficient, able to adapt to mother nature's will, not wait for Uncle Sam to bail them out.

That's why we have cisternas, tinacos, inversores, plantas, buy powdered milk, use water filters, use our private cars when an ambulance is needed, rely on our next door's buddy when our home safety is compromised, unlike you and your nanny states...

So what was your question again?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Why? Is it broken?

So what was your question again?

Pichardo: I know you have the best of intentions for The DR, but that's a cope out...Yes WE Dominicans are self sufficient and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but being forced to be because the government cannot or will not provide these basic services is not the way to lead a country to any kind of development. We're talking about the most basic stuff here, not luxury...stuff that even poorer countries provide their citizens. It's the least people should get for paying very high taxes. This is shameful. I still don't see an answer as to why they can't even provide the population with a reliable schedule of when power and water will be down...basic stuff. Come on...

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought O&C was from Mao or maybe Santiago, I'm not sure.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo: I know you have the best of intentions for The DR, but that's a cope out...Yes WE Dominicans are self sufficient and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but being forced to be because the government cannot or will not provide these basic services is not the way to lead a country to any kind of development. We're talking about the most basic stuff here, not luxury...stuff that even poorer countries provide their citizens. It's the least people should get for paying very high taxes. This is shameful. I still don't see an answer as to why they can't even provide the population with a reliable schedule of when power and water will be down...basic stuff. Come on...

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought O&C was from Mao or maybe Santiago, I'm not sure.

Basic services are NOT to be given by the gov as it was in the past century. That's why so many cities and even states/provinces are bankrupt today. Private enterprise is more efficient than public administration and better positioned to upgrade their wares based on competition.

I don't share your opinions on this matter at all.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Basic services are NOT to be given by the gov as it was in the past century. That's why so many cities and even states/provinces are bankrupt today. Private enterprise is more efficient than public administration and better positioned to upgrade their wares based on competition.

I don't share your opinions on this matter at all.

I do agree that private enterprise is more efficient than the government (i.e. CEPM - CEB )...so let's allow private enterprise to do so then and stop collecting my taxes to spend on projects I don't agree with, but don't have a say on. Let the government allow private companies provide power and collect directly from users. I'm sure if they allowed true competition (Meaning anyone who wants to provide power can setup shop and do so) the power issue would soon be fixed.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
if the water need electricity, it will be some years before any 'western; system is in place other than the tourist industry.

I kind of like the smaller system, it works good enough, but unless you have a closed system, provision of water will always be more of a problem imo.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The Government corruption / outright stealing is the root of ALL the problems..... And they do not want change. The resources that the DR has should make it a paradise. The whole country should be a prosperous tourist destination, not just the all inclusives.

Take 1/10th of the money the govt stole and imagine if it went into solar / hydro / wind energy production.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why? Is it broken? (...) don't tell me you can't afford a home with a continuous water supply to take a shower with? (...) Where you came from and the DR are two completely different things...

there are plenty of people in DR who cannot afford a home, let alone one with a continuous water supply. and the OP - WHO IS DOMINICAN - actually has some f**ks left to give about those people, unlike you.

Jan 3, 2003
From Pichardo's non-answer we can infer that the government or any DR government for that matter has no plan to repair the water systems in the DR. It's funny that not even a discussion has started regarding it. We endlessly hear about the electrical problems from the government and from many sectors but nothing having to do about the water systems or the impending water crisis. Pichardo himself loves to speak of the energy substitutes which will eliminate the electrical problems forever. But when it come to water he offers no solution but meaningless comparisons, useless "aplatanado" statements and machista bravado.

Have any of us including myself ever wondered or know where does the Capital get its water from? Where do most of you get your water from? Do you that live there know the source of your water and its source ultimately taking it to its primary source? I mean something comes out of the plumbing even if it is a trickle at floor level. Some water comes out from some tubes even if it is a communal source. There is some water system in place even if it is a trickle but where does it come from?

Last time I was in the Central Cordillera region I and others were in Ocoa where I was shown the main supply for water for the Capital SD. It was an enormous hole up in the mountains between Ocoa and Constanza created as I was told by Balaguer. It was a perfectly rounded vast concentric conical like structure of which I was impressed by its vastness. I mean this circular concrete conic structure was vast to the point that I felt I was a mere point in its presence. I truly felt insignificant by it. I was even more impressed by one much more salient point.

I was totally taken aback by how empty it is. I should have taken pictures by I'm not much for that. That massive structure was more than half empty. It was truly scary to notice how low the water level actually is. If that is the water supply for SD and its adjacent regions, the future is bleak yet no mention is ever made of this at all. The government should secure the water supply, repair the water systems and ensure clean running pressurized potable water for all. But of course, the electrical system must be repaired first.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Pick brings us more falsehoods

The problem here is people pay taxes to the govt. They are entitled to a certain level of service in return, be that security, education, health care, electricity networks, transport networks or whatever. Currently all the services are of bad quality, yet the govt continues to collect taxes and build Metro's..

When you want to privatize some of those services (as is done in many Western countries) the govt should lower taxes because they are no longer providing these services in the form of subsidies.. that would take away the politicians opp to manipulate the electorate, so that's not going to happen..

There have been instances when the DR power supply was privatised (as part of IMF demands) and no sooner where the IMF dolares collected or the power companies were nationalised again... showing the true intentions of the DR govt..

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
The OP asks whether something is being done about the water system in the DR. The answer to his question is yes. CAASD is to invest 400 million to guarantee water supply to SDQ.

CAASD anuncia la construcci?n de 74 obras en el Gran Santo Domingo - listindiario.com

Danilo Medina forks over 200 million keeping true to his promise to better the water system in SDQ.

Presidente entrega fondos para obras de la CAASD - listindiario.com

Santiago, la Vega and Moca get their water from "Presa De Teveras" and "Presa de Bao". These towns don't have a water shortage problem.

Davy_Crockett

Jan 22, 2013
Sometimes you have to move into an area where officials and military dwell at, specially in SDQ. Then and only then you will have 24/7 electricity and running water with pressure.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
"WHEN WILL THE WATER SYSTEM BE REPAIRED."

Never. You live with it or you DO something about it to meet your own needs.

So tired of hearing about the bitching and complaining about services that don't meet YOUR demands. Get off your butt and DO something....... or leave.

Rather simple isn't it.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
It will be fixed as soon as a big DR issue is addressed. A C word known as corruption!! This word prevents the water from being repaired. The rich and powerful have no motivation or need to fix it when their water is just fine where they live. They can take all the money from the poor and pocket the money and never fix the water system.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Thing is, lots of foreigners have the ability to recognize when the conditions of others are way below the standard of basic human dignity. I doubt OP is simply complaining of his plight, but the broader impact on the country as a whole of not providing basic services. And the people most effected by it (average Dominicans) don't have that luxury of leaving.

Pichardo is classic Dominican. I have mine, so what's the problem? I can't see others plight, hence it does not exist.

Nanny states are states that provide cradle to grave services beyond the basics (usually education, health care, and welfare). The basics water, trash, and electricity would be expected of ANY state and IS within the scope of what needs to be provided.

Let's see how many other Dominicans claim lack of water isn't a problem for them, their family, or someone they know.

Ask every tourist that pays the $10 if they'd like the money to go to improve water and sanitation or a new jeepeta for a corrupt official?