museo gregorio luperon in POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the house of gregorio luperon that has been rotting inside for years has been renovated and turned into a proper museum a long time ago but until about a month ago i had no chance to visit. even after i finally did i always forgot to post about. but there is goes...

i went to see the museum with a girlfriend who's polish, hot, smart and speaks spanish :) we arrived quite late and were told by a young dominicano the place closes at 5 and no go (it was just minutes to five). all of a sudden a hot morena appeared behind his back and said: please, come in, we are happy to help. she actually had to restart the computer to sell the tickets (100 pesos per person).

the young guy from the door served as a guide. since we both speak spanish we asked for spanish tour but the guide spoke some fairly ok english too, as we were sometimes switching the languages. the museum itself is not much. there are some original items (from 19th century), some replicas and some items that actually belonged to luperon. it is well and neatly organized so that you walk through different rooms following luperon's history, from childhood to death.

our guide impressed me at the beginning, with neat flow of the story, until i realized he memorized stuff by heart. he was clearly lacking in confidence - maybe shocked with our eternal beauty - and occasionally stumbled on a story, having to start again, like a broken record. he was, however, able to answer some of our questions. well, my questions. whenever i have the opportunity to learn something new i drill the subject endlessly. so i guess i sometimes pushed a bit too much :)

altogether the tour was great fun. the guide was helpful. i asked - of course - and he said he was given a book to read detailing luperon's life. he must have memorized whole pages yet did not care enough to read on the history in general. the museum is quite neat: there are costumes from the era (replicas, actually), lots of small items and many photographs. it is a bit of a general look on how the lives were lead back then.

the museum has a lift (for disabled), clean decent toilets and a small bar/cafe, run by the same people who had taste restaurant in the city center. i have not been inside, only briefly chatted with the owner: there are drinks, hot and iced coffees and a selection of snacks (they smelled real good).

overall, i recommend a visit. especially if if have interest in the history of DR. nice way to spend an afternoon and then enjoy the fria in the courtyard. the museum is open until 5pm but the cafe closes at 10pm, there is a separate entrance form the side. i am quite sure most of my friends would get bored like hell but i enjoyed it a lot!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am a really crappy person to visit places of interest with :) i went to a special brugal tour few months ago and i tired both master ronero and the guide with all my questions. what can i do, i'm curious...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
calle 12 de julio. very close to the meeting place, parallel street, closer to the malecon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gregorio luperon week in POP:

2rrtoit.jpg

facebook page of the museum: https://www.facebook.com/Museo.Gregorio.Luperon