Thanks dr1!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hi Folks:

I would like to say thanks to all the frequent posters who give very useful information. I have been lurking on this site for about two years since my first visit to DR. You all have created an impressive repository of information. A genuine public service. Thanks.

The forums rock. I love getting the unvarnished opinions of folks who live here. After awhile you feel like you get to know the people on here. Never had that experience in an online forum before. Shout out to Chris Colonn! You RoCCCCCC!

Honestly, I am impressed with the way folks adress serious issues on this site.

I discovered DR because Jetblue has a non stop flight from Boston making it a quick and easy jaunt. I'll continue as a frequent visitor, but you guys have banished all fantasies about living there. I don't think I could cut it. the town where I live has a strong Dominican presence, so I feel an affinity for the the culture. My typical stay is in SD with day and overnight trips to kinda non-touristy sites, like Najayo, Bani, Salinas, Ocoa, San Pedro. My neighbors and dominican aquaintences scream with laughter checking out my pics on a motoconcho, etc. I love walking around the Duarte Ave shopping area and under the bridge. It feels just like NYC over there. I find SD to be highly urbane and sophisticated. The wild west controlled anarchy is so different than staid New England. I have been to PR a dozen times, Nicaragua, costa rica, brasil 6 times, mexico tons, el salvador, guatemala, europe tons, morrocco once and all over the US. I will always return to DR.

So that's my newbie introduction. On topic!

Thanks again to all.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome aboard mofongoloco! Next time you head out to Najayo drop me a PM, if we're there you're welcome to stop by.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you AlterEgo. That is kind of you. I will take you up on that. May I ask, since you know the area... There is a very large mansion out on a high cliff, jutting way out. My friend said it was Trujillo's. Do you know anything about that? thanks..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I moved here 18 years ago after 25 years in "Baaaaaaaaahston", Cambridge, Somerville, and 25 years at the "MGH"!
Where do you live, Jamaica Plain, Chelsea, Lynn, Lawrence????
My sister lives in Lynn, (Santo Domingo NORTH!)I stay there when I visit.
Depending on MANY things, you CAN live here.
Patience,MONEY, Spanish language skills,"Street Smarts",Money, and did I say MONEY??????????????????
If you are single,(Which, looking at your "World Travels, I would place a HUGE BET!) it is not really expensive here.
You just need an inexpensive place to live, and a plane ticket out, if you need it!
Jet Blue, non-stop, is the only way between Boston and the DR!
I am over 6'6", and 300 lbs., I get the "Extra Leg Room" aisle seat!
Come visit me in SD next trip.
I'll tell you all about the "REAL" DR, not the "Hidden Agenda" DR sometimes posted here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Playa Palenque San Cristóbal RD, Noticias SC.jpg
Thank you AlterEgo. That is kind of you. I will take you up on that. May I ask, since you know the area... There is a very large mansion out on a high cliff, jutting way out. My friend said it was Trujillo's. Do you know anything about that? thanks..

Yes, it was absolutely Trujillo's home, at least one of them. It was also his private beach - you know the 'wall' in the water at Playa Najayo? Built for him. It used to have a boardwalk, complete with lighting, until a hurricane took it down.

The house was looted after his death. There were always guards up there, two of my [American] aunts sweet-talked their way past them in the early 80s and got inside to take some photos. It was empty for decades, now I think it's a police station.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
View attachment 1104

Yes, it was absolutely Trujillo's home, at least one of them. It was also his private beach - you know the 'wall' in the water at Playa Najayo? Built for him. It used to have a boardwalk, complete with lighting, until a hurricane took it down.

The house was looted after his death. There were always guards up there, two of my [American] aunts sweet-talked their way past them in the early 80s and got inside to take some photos. It was empty for decades, now I think it's a police station.

It is actually the training post for the guards in the model prison. I got taken through it. Lovely architecture with guady irococo initials inlaid in the ceiling.