I Made Three Dominicans Throw Up Today

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I broke my last 500 peso note buying beer for the mechanics who did a great job of fixing my car in Nagua today, which meant I didn't have the peaje to take the new highway home. So instead, I drove to Sanchez to take the roller-coaster route over the mountains to Las Terrenas. I had no one in the back seat, so I stopped to pick up two women, who magically turned into three women, one pregnant, a two-year-old, a baby, and all of their kit. Please don't eat in my car I said, after I noticed a milk bottle and a bag of food.

My little Accord was starting to heat up a little from hauling 500 pounds of Dominicans over a mountain pass at lunchtime, so I turned off the AC and kept up a good head of steam, so to speak, to keep air flowing over the radiator. Which means, essentially, that the passengers do a little bit of the old Star Trek maneuver, the one where they tilt the camera and people run to and fro. I wasn't going as fast as the guagua, which always passes me and is the local equivalent of NASA's vomit comet. I was having fun changing gears, passing livestock, tapping the horn, and generally, I thought, driving like a champ. Then I heard parar por favor. I pulled over and right away one of my passengers, the pregnant one, was blowing chunks all over the hot asphalt. Well, I thought, at least she got that out of her system. Off I went. Within five minutes, my gf had unbagged three grocery bags and handed the bags over her shoulder. We were all enveloped in a deadly sour miasma. We stopped again for a second clean-up. One bag later, the nightmare was finally over. They staggered out of the car looking like they'd just auditioned for Jackass IV. Someone had puked all over the two-year-old and he looked like the survivor of an industrial accident at a cheese factory. He was too defeated to even cry. This was a trifecta.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
That's a funny story. When I'm driving alone in the evening or at night I try to pick up a female passenger as well. Its a nice gesture and it seems to be safer to have a local in the vehicle. They always seem to clutch their purse like IM going to rob them. If the break out food in my pimp ride out they go.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dude, i'd throw up right on the top of your schumacher wannabe head. i have bad case of pukes in a car, a ride like this is a killer to me :(

few months ago i went to constanza with miesposo... an hour ride from jarabacoa to constanza was eight hours long, i swear. i stuck my head out the window and panted like a dog and we still had to stop twice so i could feel the earth underneath my feet again. all this despite two puke pills and several dramamine chewing gums. by the time we reached home i was as sober as charlie sheen and had to be carried inside like a sack of potatoes.

i should have known. it started when i was five and i asked my ma to let me ride a carousel. i sat on a blue elephant and off i went. they had to call the maintenance guy to stop that thing after i decorated myself, the blue elephant and the ground all around the carousel with puke. it was a flood of half digest food rivaling the vomit avalanche from the exorcist.

interestingly enough i do not get sick when i drive. something to do with control. but i cannot drive backwards without the contents of my stomach rising up.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
i have bad case of pukes in a car, a ride like this is a killer to me :(

Did you see Jackass 3D when they locked Steve-O in a full porta-potty and dropped the porta-potty from a crane on a bungie cord? He was really puking. We could totally make a video like that, only with excellent ocean views and the grille of a Toyota Coaster five feet from the rear window.

May 5, 2007
interestingly enough i do not get sick when i drive. something to do with control. but i cannot drive backwards without the contents of my stomach rising up.

You start flight lessons yet?

I have taken quite a few "I get sick when flying" people up in a small plane and they did great. Coordination between eye (Horizon) and inner ear is issue
Being able to see horizon, knowing when engine sound is going to change, wing dip, attitude change etc makes a big difference as opposed to being in a cigar tube pitching, thumping and bumping

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no cash for flying, sorry! :( we need to go home, we need a car, and then i'll need a face lift because i'll be old!

i get very sick on planes too. like, you cannot imagine how bad. and last few years apart from fighting things coming out from the top (and losing that battle) i also have to fight things from leaving from the bottom (winning so far). in other words, a major stomach storm... but i think i'd be fine actually being a pilot, the focus and control is somewhere else, just like in a car...

May 5, 2007
no cash for flying, sorry! :( we need to go home, we need a car, and then i'll need a face lift because i'll be old!

i get very sick on planes too. like, you cannot imagine how bad. and last few years apart from fighting things coming out from the top (and losing that battle) i also have to fight things from leaving from the bottom (winning so far). in other words, a major stomach storm... but i think i'd be fine actually being a pilot, the focus and control is somewhere else, just like in a car...

It Really is the eye ear thing, bout any Doctor will tell you that. back seat of a car, airplane etc. Try being in a boat and not being able to see horizon, bad stuff. Worst I experienced (Outside of carnival rides etc) was the back of a bus in Slovak Republic, being behind the rear axle magnifies the sway and turns, add fumes, smelly head and you have the perfect motion sickness storm

The only person ever to get sick flying with me was an old friend who had flown quite a bit commercial. We took his son from Martha's Vineyard to Burlington Vt for school. He rode co Pilot on way up with zero problems, stuffed him in back so other friend could experience the front seat (Cessna 182 where visibility from back is restricted) and he filled a green trash bag.

At Burlington, we had separated for awhile while he settled his son in and he apparently had decided to eat 4 sliders, a couple pounds of french fries and God only know what else, but it all came out. Good things those green trash bags

Forgot, had a chauffeur (F 14 Driver) who regularly got himself sick whenever he pulled negative G's. Man, cleaning that mask was a bitch (His problem), thought he would have found a solution but in the 5 months I flew with him he barfed regularly

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
i get very sick on planes too. like, you cannot imagine how bad. ..

I am sure you have tried all sorts of remedies to help you with the motion sickness. Have you tried the simple wrist bands that have the acupressure point? they work wonders for me when I am sailing off shore.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nah, gal, nothing works. for a while i've been taking some special puke pills that accompany chemotherapy. that was not bad in terms of vomiting but i would get knocked out completely, falling unconscious mid sentence.
i cannot do boats at all. nothing helps. no matter where i sit, how many pills i take, and what i do. big time sick. i tried diving once and i got sick just floating on the surface, had to go down to steady my head.

i feel sorry for this prego dominican lady. when my ma was pregnant she suffered from morning, afternoon and evening sickness, full 9 months. she walked everywhere because she could not go further than one bus stop without having to get off and throw up in a trash bin. it's not fun.

when i get sick in a car as a passenger i stick the head out, that's number one. then it's either driving really fast and steady or really, really slow. any changes of speed and i'm done for.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'm in the same boat with dv8....to coin a phrase/no pun intended. (lol)
Motion sickness started at an early age and I will never forget going on family treks with mom, dad and 4 kids.
There was never a time when my dear old dad did not have to pull over as inconspicuously as possible to allow yours truly out for a good puke.
I became the family joke.........Hey that might explain some things in my later life.
Amusement parks?......forgettaboutit!!!!!
Boats.......hmmmmm? I remember one time in the Bahamas on a sea as flat and calm as could ever be, I got sea-sick on a peddle-boat.
Read in a car..? I don't think so...
I get nauseous just watching someone else read.
Stuck in a car with one of those drivers with the on again off again foot on the gas and or brake.....EGADS !!!
Pull this tin can over and let me out of here !!!

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Hilarious. And excellent punctuation i might add! Reads very well. U should write seriously and buy a new telsa!