Places to Avoid in Santo Domingo

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
Are there any areas in SD that a gringo should not go? I do not want to inadvertently wander into the wrong area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
wander? would you be walking or driving? There are several areas that should be avoided, but to be more precise you should provide what places you're planning to visit.

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
HI. I'm will be just wandering around the city for a week or two, sightseeing. I have not chosen a place to stay yet but I usually just wander around when I arrive somewhere. I may stay in an area named Corales Del Sur and use public transportation, taxis. Just don't want to be dropped off somewhere and find myself saying hmmmm this doesn't look like somewhere I should be but on the map it looked fine.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Ok. Well, Corales del Sur is not the safest place in SD to start with. That area in general is not very safe for gringo standards, specially after dark, even though a seasoned gringo could move around without problems. For sightseeing you have to go across the river to the west side of town. Avoid the east side for any other activities besides partying on Av. Venezuela or (maybe) Av. Espa?a, though the latter is famous for being usual hangout for hookers and all the problems associated with them.

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
So, no wonder the prices are reasonable. Although I will be sightseeing during the day, perhaps I should ask the following. Where are places gringos can go to enjoy the night and try to pick-up a girl or at least try ;). Also, is there an area(s) which would be good places to rent a place and also strategically located for access to public transportation, access to cultural/historical attractions? Oh, I like to use a gym when I travel, nothing high end, free weights are fine. I appreciate your help. I'm 40ish if that helps

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There are many variables to work with here, and I'll try to cover as many as I can.
Enjoy the night and try to pick up a girl:Pro or non-pro? For pros and semi-pros, I guess the Colonial Zone will be the best (and safest) place. Girls are usually walking around Parque Colon trying to pick up tourists. You don't have to pick them up, they'll do it for you. For non-pros, I would say your best bet are any of the big malls (Sambil, Agora, Blue Mall, Acropolis, etc). But then again, it depends on the type of girl. Bars on Av. Venezuela are maybe the easiest place to pick up girls who are more willing than average to leave with a gringo. But beware: do your homework and search for all related threads in DR1 about these girls
Rent a place and also strategically located for access to public transportation, access to cultural/historical attractions: Again, here I would say any of the hotels located in the Zona Colonial are good for this purpose. Not very expensive, and maybe not close to transportation but a lot of sightseeing and night life within walking distance. I don't know about gyms in these hotels, but you can pay a daily fee in many of the mid-to-high-end gyms in other areas, to use the facilities.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
you want to do sightseeing in Santo Domingo for few weeks ? oh boy... unless you mean sightseeing of girls, there is realy nothing to see there for that long time. you will be very tired of the noise, temperatures, humidity, pollution and whole chaos in general

you want to do sightseeing in Santo Domingo for few weeks ? oh boy... unless you mean sightseeing of girls, there is realy nothing to see there for that long time. you will be very tired of the noise, temperatures, humidity, pollution and whole chaos in general

3 days was enough for me, I couldn't wait to leave!
I wasn't looking for girls though. They will find you, i tried hard to stay away from them but they wouldn't go away!

Well i drove there against the advice of people and i like hardcore traffic, it's my thing. I think it was just the annoying residency thing that had me in a bad mood and being rushed around trying to find stuff for our house.

i also didn't like being rubbed around by hookers when I went gambling. Yes I know, I am weird. If they were my type it may be different.....The Wife wouldn't care with some flirting etc.. but these chicas in the DR are just not for me.

Dec 26, 2011
but these chicas in the DR are just not for me.

That's what makes the world go round. We all like what we like.

Give SD another shot. Go to the Botanical Gardens. Have a nice meal at Meson D'Bari. Explore El Barrio Chino. Walk a little on the Malec?n.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
i also didn't like being rubbed around by hookers when I went gambling. Yes I know, I am weird. If they were my type it may be different.....The Wife wouldn't care with some flirting etc.. but these chicas in the DR are just not for me.

You mean flirting hookers or DR women in general?

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
So, no SD then or at least only a few days? Maybe I'll go to Santiago then? Is it any better? Another question is I have a laptop I may bring along for email, Skype. Is that a good idea? To leave it in the room when I'm away?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Spend a few days in the Colonial Zone. Check out the historical sites and get a feel of the place. Then you can plan the rest of your visit. There are a number of nice centrally located hotels, restaurants, and bars/clubs that are reasonably priced and safe. You can easily find a taxi to travel outside the Zona.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Castle" Ave. Espana has hookers?
Thanks for the tip Bro!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Why does, "Like a Lamb To The Slaughter", pop into my mind here?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
wander? would you be walking or driving? There are several areas that should be avoided, but to be more precise you should provide what places you're planning to visit.

as far as wandering on foot goes, get yourself a local phone and program in the number of Apolo taxi 533 0000. Then you can walk around and wander until you are tired, and if you feel too tired or are getting to a place that you do not feel safe, you can call and ask the next safe looking person .. to tell them where you are.. "Digale donde estas, por favor".. or something like that. (My Spanish is more to just get by with.. Dominicans are very polite and do not correct me which is both a good thing and a bad thing) Apolo and most of the cab companies are the best run operations in the city and will be there to meet you inside of three minutes. You can also go inside any colmado and ask them to do this for you.

The taxis can also be hired at 400 pesos an hour which is a great way to sight see.

Alternately, you can get on one of the big buses and just ride it. The passengers will adopt you. There are very few gringos who ride the buses. They will tell you where you are and when you should get off and how to get back to where you were. I did this on a bus going down Av. George Washington and all the folks around me wanted to know where I was going and finally said, No. You have to get out here and take such and such a bus. I had two people who were ready to get out with me and show me the way.

The carros publicos are a lot more tricky since their routes are more complicated and I have never tried to just ride around in them. But if you find one with an empty front seat, you can pay double the fare for two seats and no one will sit next to you. I suppose that you could also follow them to the end of their line. But I like the view from the buses better. Fplks have often have trouble with robberies in them and they stop often and are never air conditioned so not my favorite form of transport.

Cabs from one place to another are never more than 200 pesos. They should be around 170 but cab drivers often do not have change, or so they say.

Nevertheless, you need to see both the Zona and Gazcue and the business district and Parque Mirador Sur and some of the higher end residential areas, the Botanical Gardens, the Zoo, the Museo del Casas Reales, the Modern Art Museum.. a show at the Teatro Nacional... lots of stuff to see.

SD is a very beautiful city but I think that lots of folks get tired out walking or frustrated with the driving. It is hot. And lots of the areas are not set up for walking.

Some of the architecture is stunning and seeing it lit up at night is gorgeous.

enjoy