Question about traveling with small dog

Q

quimbydog

Hello there
We are planning a trip from our home on St. John, USVI to Cap Cana to visit our property we recently closed on at the Fishing Village. We would like to bring our 6lb Chihuahua and have received the OK from the property that he is allowed. We have travelled all over the USVI and the states with him, but this would be our first trip outside the US. I have done as much research as I can, but a lot of the information seems outdated. I'm interested in anyone who has recent first-hand experience with bringing a dog to the the DR and back to the states. Our trip would only be a week.
Thanks for any insight.
Q

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The airline can give you exact information about traveling with pets to Dominican Republic, I know that the dog must have some shots before the flight, so for sure you will need to visit a veterinary in both ways and also in your way back to VI you will have stop at farm and veterinary department in the airport, you show them the papers of the shots on your dog and they will give you an authorization that will allow you to board with the dog.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is very simple. I have travelled from the US to the DR many times with my mini Schnauzer. I am assuming it is very similar from Canada. You need to go to your vet and have them fill out an International travel form. This includes a record of all vacinations and that they are current. This must be done 10 days prior to the flight. You need a soft side pet carrier. You need to make a reservation on the flight for your dog. When you go to check in they will most likely ask you for a copy of the travel certificate. When you board the plane you will need to put the dog carrier part way under the seat in front of you. When you get to the DR and go through customs and immigration someone will see you and you will go to a desk where he or she will look at your International Travel form. This will fill out another form and you will pay about $10. Your are now official with your pet in the DR. Before you leave the airport find out where the animal travel office is at the airport. On your return flight you will need to go there and check in your pet for travel. You will need the form they filled out when you arrived and they will give you a release form to travel back to Canada. It is another $10. Then proceed to the airline check in. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to check in the dog before you check in at the airline counter. As long as your International travel papers are in order you will not have any problems. You will need to go to a vet in Punta Cana and get the International Travel document for the return trip. This form will have the official DR stamps on it. You can't use the one you got in Canada for the trip down. Good luck

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At SDQ, that pet office is on the lower level.... so do that first (As LT Steve), then go upstairs to check in.

As always, a porter will take you anywhere you want but its a pain to go below..... you can stop the car right outside that office - very poorly marked, beware

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Are there any specific vets that you have to take your animal to prior to leaving DR or can any vet fill out the departure paperwork?? If there are specific vets does anyone have a list?

Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All the RD vets know the form..... as always. ask the price first.

My local guy does it for free..... I buy my dog food there

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Never tried before but know of a service dog certification that makes the process much easier and larger dogs can fly on plane with you. Service dogs are great remedies for anxiety during flights. Costs a few grand but may be worth it for frequent fliers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For frequent fliers with anxiety......

I think I'd rather pay for a trained guard dog than a flight companion.....

I can't seem to shake my travel companion..... for 30 yrs she's been nagging me on flights,
and she never stays in the cage....

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Hello there
We are planning a trip from our home on St. John, USVI to Cap Cana to visit our property we recently closed on at the Fishing Village. We would like to bring our 6lb Chihuahua and have received the OK from the property that he is allowed. We have travelled all over the USVI and the states with him, but this would be our first trip outside the US. I have done as much research as I can, but a lot of the information seems outdated. I'm interested in anyone who has recent first-hand experience with bringing a dog to the the DR and back to the states. Our trip would only be a week.
Thanks for any insight.
Q
Just a FYI on Cap Cana... It is no Longer the Fishing Lodge.... Was sold to another company to take over... As rumor goes, They had the hotel etc. sold to another buyer.... But the powers that be at Cap Cana said..NO, you cannot sell to this / these people or Company.. U have to sell to: The same people who run Sanctuary... They balked.. So Cap Cana Shut off their power and water, threatened to put some of their people in jail till they knuckled under and sold to the people that Cap Cana wanted them too.... Now there is a whole new regime there.. A bunch of people were fired.. Even the ones in the Salon... There is no one in the hotel yet that I can tell.. There is one Salon / spa.. and a just oened pizza place. and a Disco that is almost never opened.. It is like Disney world at 7am... All cleaned up and ready to go. but no one there... No docks done.. They call it "Marina Sands" now.. No Marina, and no Sand.... I have been at Cap Cana running sportfish boats off and on for over a year.... I see it every day....