Hello there. Not Dominican, but my wife is.

atoledo

Jun 10, 2013
Us and the three kids are traveling soon to DR to visit my wife's family members and visit tourist spots. Thought I'd get some pointers from here before I go.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Welcome! You will get lots of pointers, more if you give details. How much time do you have? Where is the wifes family? Age of kids? Do you drive in DR? Big budget? Vacation desires?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The reality is often you get better pointers from foreigners who visit often then from Locals. Also, they often have the wrong idea of what foreigners are looking for.
I know I am somehow guilty of it for my hometown, Paris, because when I visit, I am not a tourist, I just go home.

atoledo

Jun 10, 2013
The "kids" are 11(boy) 15 & 18 (girls). I've lived in NYC all my life, and I've only been to DR once -- 17 yrs ago, summertime. We stayed at my in-laws house, and like many others at that time, they had no generator. The days (and nights especially) were unbearable when the lights went out, which happened a lot. No a/c no fans, then the water goes and you can't even take a cool bath/shower. For someone used to the cold NY winters, it was pure torture. I vowed never to return again until they sort things out down there. I've been reassured that things are much better now so I've decided to return.

These are our plans thus far. We are going in the beginning of July to SD. Staying with some of her family there. A few days at one home, a few at another. Second week is at a resort. We already made reservations. Third, and final week, back to visit more family members in Jarabacoa (I think) and some other town (not sure). During our stay, we can't rely on relatives to take time off their jobs to guide us around so I plan on renting as soon as we arrive. Easier that way with a family of five and possibly anyone else who wants to tag along.

We've received plenty of advice from her relatives, but I do have one question. On our last trip, My wife's father acted as our guide and drove us around. While traveling from SD to another city east, the police was pulling over almost every car to make a "check". When one officer on foot waved us over to stop, my father in-law slowed, smiled, waved, and took off again. No one came after us. When I asked what that was all about, he said' "they're just looking for money." So, my question is, what should I do if pulled over? I spoke about this to my wife and she said don't give them a dime. They'll see everything is in order and that's it.

Comments?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
And then there are specific directions to get to particular destinations. DR1ers are great in that regard.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Only rent a car if you are a great driver in nyc. Dont drive at night if possible. As a newbie you should stop for the police, you will be ok during the day with others in the car with you. Be aware of family trying to help, they sometimes have other motives. Be real careful of using credit cards. Others from SD and Jarabacoa will give you great advice.

The "kids" are 11(boy) 15 & 18 (girls). I've lived in NYC all my life, and I've only been to DR once -- 17 yrs ago, summertime. We stayed at my in-laws house, and like many others at that time, they had no generator. The days (and nights especially) were unbearable when the lights went out, which happened a lot. No a/c no fans, then the water goes and you can't even take a cool bath/shower. For someone used to the cold NY winters, it was pure torture. I vowed never to return again until they sort things out down there. I've been reassured that things are much better now so I've decided to return.

These are our plans thus far. We are going in the beginning of July to SD. Staying with some of her family there. A few days at one home, a few at another. Second week is at a resort. We already made reservations. Third, and final week, back to visit more family members in Jarabacoa (I think) and some other town (not sure). During our stay, we can't rely on relatives to take time off their jobs to guide us around so I plan on renting as soon as we arrive. Easier that way with a family of five and possibly anyone else who wants to tag along.

We've received plenty of advice from her relatives, but I do have one question. On our last trip, My wife's father acted as our guide and drove us around. While traveling from SD to another city east, the police was pulling over almost every car to make a "check". When one officer on foot waved us over to stop, my father in-law slowed, smiled, waved, and took off again. No one came after us. When I asked what that was all about, he said' "they're just looking for money." So, my question is, what should I do if pulled over? I spoke about this to my wife and she said don't give them a dime. They'll see everything is in order and that's it.

Comments?

The police checks I have encountered, maybe 8? They just have asked for id, title to car and then get annoyed about me not knowing what they are talking about (playing dumb) and wave me off. These were always in populated daylight hours.

The other day i was waved down in an unpopulated area, the guy had a shot gun pointed at my car and no police or army gear, so i didn't bother stopping b/c it was a highway, wasn't in the mood to stop and don't trust people not in uniform. There was someone across the street in Military gear. I thought if they chased me i would just stop at a well populated area. I knew they wouldn't, they are lazy!

I am gringo and i am not suggesting not stopping but if it is at night be careful and try to stop in a populated area if someone tries to flag you down.

I've always rented a car when vacationing anywhere, but it is damn ass crazy in SD!

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Ditto the do not drive at night. Just don't. I have vistited two dozen times in the last 30 months as we await my wife's visa. I drive when necc...and have driven in various countries...but the DR for a good driver, is less fun than a klutz trying to stay on a wild hearted bronco in the Wild West ... Adventure at first, but in the long run I find it much less stressful to ride along with some one else if possible. That said knowing who to pick for a driver is key. Ours is a taxi dude who is a long time family friend , cheaper than a typical tourist taxi but still an expense.

My brother in law always has a different car ...we get to borrow, but I am not in country enough to know what is going on under the hood of his "investments". And car care in the DR is a function of pure MacGyverism.

Driving with anyone of my inlaws is not smart as like so many Dominicans...they practice scratch n sniff driving...they just wing it...my bro in law...love him, but he gets in accidents once a month.

Myself...Been stopped twice by cops trying to shake gringo here down for lunch money...first time 2 years ago my then fianc? just kept yelling at the guy in her native dominican tongue; "is this normal ? Is this normal ?" As the cycle cop complained he wanted some fish for lunch. Not smart in retrospect, but she's not to be messed with. 2nd time at a roadblock just last month, the cop wanted to see our insurance papers which naturally were not readily available (this time in my father in laws minivan he insisted we take from SD to San Cristobal to visit friends who recently had a baby).
Gave mi amigo a copy of my passport page....he looked at it and said "ahhhhje je je Big Poppy!!"(as my passport shows I'm from Boston), he said no problem, we paid him 200 pesos and were on our way.

I've been lucky, I prefer to ride not drive.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
When one officer on foot waved us over to stop, my father in-law slowed, smiled, waved, and took off again. No one came after us. When I asked what that was all about, he said' "they're just looking for money." So, my question is, what should I do if pulled over?

Why would you get pulled over? You're in a vehicle. They're on foot. Your father-in-law has it right. Smile, wave, slow down a tad and go on about your business.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
My Gf tells the cops that we are both Dominicanos in a real Dominican slang and so far it has worked

not sure how that would work ! since they would then know you speak spanish, a lot of dominicans in this situation would pretend they didnt speak spanish

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
My Gf tells the cops that we are both Dominicanos in a real Dominican slang and so far it has worked

not sure how that would work ! since they would then know you speak spanish, a lot of Dominicans in this situation would pretend they didnt speak spanish

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wife's Family Name is TOLEDO.
Maybe you are related???
I lived in Boston for 25 years before moving here 18 years ago.
Have two sisters and a son there.
Where do your baseball loyalties belong, "Red Sox Nation", or those "Damn Yankees"??????????????????
You MUST visit the "Jardin Botanico" here in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The "Zoo" as well, but it is not as "FANTASTIC" as the "Jardin", just a place to "See".
My "Dominicana" and I have been married for almost 18 years.
We have kids, two boys/men, 21 & 15, two girls 11 & 9.
You are welcome to come visit us when you are here.
We live in Arroyo Hondo, next to the Zoo, and about a mile from the "Jardin Botanico".
Have any of your kids been here before?
They will experience the most "Culture Shock" if they have never visited.
Tom
aka., CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
not sure how that would work ! since they would then know you speak spanish, a lot of Dominicans in this situation would pretend they didnt speak spanish

Well seeing that I was driving my gf's car she was doing all the talking.. besides the cops prefered to chat with a beautiful Dominicana than a ugly Curacaoleno like me :) They didnt show much interest in me...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THAT's not a "Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo", that's just a "Bronx CHEER"!
As almost always, the "Sox" are ahead of the "Yanks" when it doesn't count!
Like every year, I am just waiting for the "SOX" to crash right after the "All Star Game"!
At least "Big Poppi" is on fire this year.
And now that the "PATS" have "Tebow" they are a "Shoo In" for another Super Bowl Ring"!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cry::cry::cry:
I see Tebow with nothing but "Splinters In His a$$" at the end of the season.
At least chip will be proud!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Lets see how the "Yanks" do without all the "Roids"!