Dutch national arrested accused of murder?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Does anybody has any information, heard about that in the last days in Sosua / Puerto Plata?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Another question:

Would somebody be accused / suspected of murder be released by paying bail of 50,000 DOP? Seems pretty low, or?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Long story short. An acquaintance I made some years ago was answering a call for help in the place where he lives in Sosua (I assume some barrio, dunno where). Well, he says he saw somebody run off (it happened in the night) and was seen alone with the victim (a male is all I know) by neighbors.

He was allowed a phone call today and called me for help (we maintained contact by phone now and then). First I was suspicious about him asking me for the 50 K bail since it appeared to be on the low side for a bail for an accusation like that.

However, I called his embassy and they took over. I have it confirmed now that the story is real, not an attempt to cheat me out of some cash (heck, one never knows in this country...).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
caribmike, i searched high and low for a story of a holandes being arrested on any charges recently. apart from the one mentioned above i can only see older stories, mainly about failed drug smuggling attempts.

something tells me if the guy was, indeed, arrested then no info was released to the media and whatever monies paid were not bail but a bribe to "make things go away". hence the arrest not being described anywhere.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for checking.

No monies were paid. Maybe the money is not bail but bribe asked for. Possible. The embassy will visit him tomorrow. I think that should help to get things in the right direction (reg. if it is bail or bribe...).

We sent some money to his girlfriend so she can buy and bring him food. They were obviously in a not easy economically situation too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe the police is giving him a chance to pay up before they formally bring in charges. i will keep on checking if i see anything. crime by a gringo will make it to the main newspapers for sure...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Update:

The victim is alive but according to source in hospital in "estado grave" and couldn't be questioned yet.

The paperwork at the police states "brawl" not "killing" as reason for arrest, but Dutch guy was let to believe the victim is dead according to source and telling me at the phone he was arrested for "murder".

Dutch guy was severely beaten by neighbors the night of the incident happened because they thought he did beat up the other guy while he said he answered a call for help and at arriving saw somebody running off.

Hopefully the victim makes it and can clarify who attacked him...

Feb 7, 2007
Again and over, unfortunately (and hopefully I will not be in a situation where I regret this) in the DR the "good Samaritan" does not work well...does not work at all.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
And if the Dutch guy is even more unlucky, the victim when knowing a Gringo is a suspect will probably try to extort him and maybe even not saying the truth...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Am I understanding this right? A Dutch national was answering a call for help and when being alone with the victim arrested as a suspect?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, that is what he told me in a call from police station and what I understood so far. He told me he heard somebody calling for help, went to see what happened, saw somebody running of and encountered the victim in his blood. What happened then exactly not sure. Neighbors attacked him and told police it was him or they only have seen him with the victim.

I called the Dutch Embassy and they should have visited him by now.

Still waiting to get more information. I will post when I get the whole story and its outcome.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yes, that is what he told me in a call from police station and what I understood so far. He told me he heard somebody calling for help, went to see what happened, saw somebody running of and encountered the victim in his blood. What happened then exactly not sure. Neighbors attacked him and told police it was him or they only have seen him with the victim.

I called the Dutch Embassy and they should have visited him by now.

Still waiting to get more information. I will post when I get the whole story and its outcome.

Ok, any help needed let me know...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Update:

After some conversations over the last weeks ( the "novia" of the guy keeps texting and calling...) we know now that the victim is the landlord of the Dutch guy, out of hospital since weeks but refusing to talk to the novia (so she says) and going to the police to tell them they have the wrong guy.

Today she was calling telling my wife she saw the Dutch guy first time again after a month and he still has to wear the same clothes as on the day he was arrested and that he is innocent... and that we please send some funds to help him.

To me this starts smelling fishy and like a scam to get money from us. She told me that there never was a visit from the Dutch embassy etc.

She told us that they will send him to another prison in Moca.

Is there anybody in POP able to get information from the police directly if this guy is indeed in Jailinnocent? dv8 maybe you?

I was trying to call the Police in POP = no answer (expected ;))

Thanks!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
would he be in jail (close to terre alta) or in a police arrest (at luis ginebra)?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, that's another thing I am not sure of. I would think and am of the believe if he is really there it would be in Luis Ginebra since he was not in court as far as I know.

Being hold in the Fortaleza in Torre Alta or for a transfer to another jail in Moca it would need a verdict or?

And even if he really is there I can't help him for a prolonged time or at all any more... I have to care for my family and not looking after a 50ish guy who beat up his landlord as it appears to be...