Fishing off malecon, santo domingo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Finally I saw someone hook a nice fish at malecon. The place is located right in front of Cervecer?a nacional and La feria de ganaderos on malecon. Many locals come to fish, beginners and experts. many just come to hang out with them and drink beers. Colmado delivery is always coming to being more cold bottles. I go there to see the ocean and to hear their stories. I had heard they catch huge fishes there but this is the 1st time I saw anyone catch anything worth taking pictures. I was told its a 5 pounder Sama fish. I have no clue what the name is in english.
jtp2l2.jpg

2uo5aur.jpg

he is not the man who caught the fish. He just picked it up for the picture shoot.

fc47lt.jpg

2yzizqg.jpg

ip1mk4.jpg

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
On one of my departures from SDQ some years ago my late afternoon flight was delayed so my wife and I decided to roll our smartecart laden w/luggage out of the terminal to view el mar. At the first clearing we noticed two figures walking out of a rocky edge at a distance. The Caribbean was visible and active behind them. As we neared the two I noticed that one man had a snorkel mask over his head, a spear gun in one hand, and a hook with many fish in the other. The other individual was a boy with a rope that was coiled and carried over his shoulder. I walked over to the rocky breakwater edge and was surprised to see sheer rock straight down about 60 ft into the water: The water was kicking. There was no beach so duh, these guys were not fishing with rod and reel.

I could guess from their carry how, but it still seemed remarkable. I had to ask. They confirmed that the one man would tie a rope around his waist, dive into the breakwater w/spear gun and snorkel, and go to work. The other stayed on top pulling and giving slack on the rope as needed, and when the diver was done, pulled to help with his climb up the sheer rock. I am ex-NAUI certified, ex-swim instructor and lifeguard, yet couldn't take my eyes off that diver for the skill that I knew he possessed. Fishing and eating fish is one of the treats the DR has to offer.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
there has to be some fish down by those rocks.... plenty of Cudas too... and lobsters..... is funny how most dominicans are afraid of the ocean and barely freedive or spearfish.... there is a lot of fish down there....

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I remenber as a pre teen going to guibia to surf...sometimes the river would dirty the whole seaside and we could see some bull sharks and nurse sharks... luckily nobody ever got hurt...the water goes from really murky to visibility to about 40 feet. the north coast is way more clear than the caribbean sea. better fishing. but having said that so few people practice spearfishing here that i'm damn sure that there is plenty of reef fish by el malecon. also the locals dont use the right bait or have the equipment...