Where is Urb. Thomen in Santiago?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well, the title explains it. Does anyone know where Urb. Thomen is in Santiago? I have a house to go look at. Have to move in a few months since I am not buying the house that I am currently renting. I don't want to be wasting my time looking at houses in places where I don't want to be.
-Is it near Yapur Dumit?
-Is it safe?
-Is it anywhere near the monument?

SHALENA

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Good location for investment imo, as the prices have remained relatively low compared to other parts of Santiago. On the flip side the boom it expected has been slow to develop and it has a lot of empty holes to fill (as far as amenities, neighborhood feel, etc.). It has been a minute since I passed through though......

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm being told lots of robberies by drug addicts from Mao. But being told this by people that are not the most reliable :-/
Not sure what to think since no one here seems to know anything :-/

SHALENA

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I'm being told lots of robberies by drug addicts from Mao. But being told this by people that are not the most reliable :-/
Not sure what to think since no one here seems to know anything :-/

SHALENA

Not sure why there would be a "mao" problem...kinda far away to be plaguing this area....

Anyway, I stick to my above comments. I think it is a good area for future investment but has been slow to develop and would not be my choice atm for raising a family as there are too many dead zones and not enough community activity to create that neighborhood feel (which encompasses safety, amenities, friends for the little ones etc.)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Not sure why there would be a "mao" problem...kinda far away to be plaguing this area....Anyway, I stick to my above comments. I think it is a good area for future investment but has been slow to develop and would not be my choice atm for raising a family as there are too many dead zones and not enough community activity to create that neighborhood feel (which encompasses safety, amenities, friends for the little ones etc.)
It will take about the next two decades to have that area become a good ROI option. Maybe if they band together and wall the entire perimeter of the hood, then you could talk good to great ROI short to mid term.
The Pichardo
Spin

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks to both of you. So I'm hearing that this is a decent place but due to its proximity to "the hood" it has it's dangers, also it's not yet full enough.
The last thing I need is to be worried about getting robbed and I never have been but the talk around my current neighborhood is that Thomen residents get robbed quite often due to the very nice houses and lots of empty lots for hiding, not enough neighbors to create a force.
Well, back to the drawing board. It will be a beautiful community if all of the houses built come out as beautiful as the 3 I toured. And add a few colmados and a junta de vecinos

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So just an update.
I rented a home in Urb. Thomen, I find it to be completely safe (it having only been a week), only because of the tight security of the neighborhood. Most all have alarms, including myself, with a company called Alerta. This being apart from the neighborhood Seguridad Thomen. Also the police are usually stationed at one of the entrances at all times.
There was an attempted robbery last week where the thief was killed, he didn't even make it off of the person's property because of the swift action of the Seguridad.
When I went to meet the agency at the house to collect the keys and do the walk-through, the patrol guys came, introduced themselves, and gave me their phone numbers. They told me that the night guys would be doing the same. It took me a minute to learn the alarm and have had the guys come to my house one time when I forgot and entered the house and forgot to turn it off.
I feel safe.
I would recommend the neighborhood to anyone. I miss the more neighborhood feel of my old neighborhood because Thomen is not very habitated yet but I like the fact that I can build my dream home here without it looking out of place. The houses in Thomen (or at least most) are of very nice architecture, upscale amenities (marble, granite, top of the line fixtures, etc.) and most have pools. The smallest one I looked at was a little over 3500sf and the largest was I think a little over 4600sf.
The neighbors so far have been very nice, especially the one across from me who is a past president of Amaprosan, very amicable and sweet. As I Gringa, I definitely feel at home in this home, definitely the space and decor than I have always wanted in the DR.
I would also like to say that I would recommend Century 21 in Santiago anytime, they were very professional and although took a while in the background check department (calling all of my references, my job, my current landlord, etc) I actually like that as you know that they will not rent to just anyone.
Well, thats all. Just wanted to give you all an update and for future DR1ers that may run across an opportunity to rent or buy in Urbanizacion Thomen, Santiago.

SHALENA

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Best of luck in the new home, sounds like you did your homework. When is the new home open house party scheduled?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Best of luck in the new home, sounds like you did your homework. When is the new home open house party scheduled?

Working on it! :)

Everyone has alarm, police at the entrance.. and still robbers came? I am glad that you feel safe!

Yup, and he was killed before he even got off of the property after obtaining 500 and something pesos, and 3 cell phones. (BTW, he was killed only because he brandished (is that the right word?) a pistol, which he held but didn't point at anyone during the robbery. I guess he pointed it at the security when they surprised him, not sure)
1.) Thieves cannot tell from the outside that your house has an alarm
2.) There is a barrio nearby
3.) Any neighborhood with 3000+sf homes with pools with attract a thief trying his luck
4.) Any neighborhood with empty solares also may attract a thief trying his luck

Yes, I feel safe. As safe as I ever felt in anyplace in the DR. I'm not stupid enough to think I will never be robbed but I'm also not dumb enough to pass up an awesome house on the "chance" that I will be robbed.

I know a DR1er who had bikes stolen from the yard, in a prestigious neighborhood, with only a few feet between each house, with an alarm, in broad daylight. Can happen anywhere.

My point was, because everyone in the DR could be a potential victim of robbery, that Urb. Thomen has more than the average security than I have seen elsewhere, that's all. :)

SHALENA

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Working on it! :)

Yup, and he was killed before he even got off of the property after obtaining 500 and something pesos, and 3 cell phones. (BTW, he was killed only because he brandished (is that the right word?) a pistol, which he held but didn't point at anyone during the robbery. I guess he pointed it at the security when they surprised him, not sure)
1.) Thieves cannot tell from the outside that your house has an alarm
2.) There is a barrio nearby
3.) Any neighborhood with 3000+sf homes with pools with attract a thief trying his luck
4.) Any neighborhood with empty solares also may attract a thief trying his luck

Yes, I feel safe. As safe as I ever felt in anyplace in the DR. I'm not stupid enough to think I will never be robbed but I'm also not dumb enough to pass up an awesome house on the "chance" that I will be robbed.

I know a DR1er who had bikes stolen from the yard, in a prestigious neighborhood, with only a few feet between each house, with an alarm, in broad daylight. Can happen anywhere.

My point was, because everyone in the DR could be a potential victim of robbery, that Urb. Thomen has more than the average security than I have seen elsewhere, that's all. :)

SHALENA

What are the rents out there? And how much is the security per month?