76 v ac

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Voltage dropped to 70 - 76 Volts AC now in Sosua. Some inversors may not switch to batteries automatically. Your refrigerators and ACs should be smoking now.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Your inverter didn't switch? Where do you have it set?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Same thing happened last night in Cabarete. A few hours later it was back to normal after I made a report to Edenorte.

Some inverters have a setting at which the inverter will switch to inverter mode if the input voltage drops.

If you do see a low voltage situation like that in the future, be sure to unplug your refrigerator and other devices that use motors or compressors until the situation is corrected.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Does anyone know the cause of this problem? It was quite different from the usual ones in this area.

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windy, Bred, DR-Guy,
About 90 volts AC is the cut off for reasonable operations, so at 70 + AC the invertors should have cut in. Ours did not and we had brown out for a few miniues. We cut street power and the invertor kicked it. Many generators locally did not cut in and we saw others trying to start their genrators only for it to cut out with the Edenorte voltage being about 70 VAC +

Fisrt time I have seen this type of problem on the north coast as usually it is all or nothing.

Olly and the Team

Edenorte was working with some cables on the street close to Puerto Chiquito yesterday before this happend, maybe it is related?

We had a blackout later, this lasted for hours- so maybe someone did a "quick job" with some "Teipi" because they wanted to go home.....

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Slowly almost back to "normal" = 82V AC at the moment. That is when your waterpumps, refrigerators and ACs start to melt.

Back to 50 Volts, then to zero.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The inverter with the cut in/ cut out protects only what is on the inverter system. So everything else may get fried. I have a couple of small inexpensive units that tie into my generator automatic relay that shuts off ALL street power to my whole place.

I too have noticed some really stinky power in this last month.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You are reading your 120 volt line and not your whole 240 volts.

I know at times my 240 off/on system sounds like it should be in a band with the off/on/off/on so I widened the "acceptable" volts range. My inverter has a time limit for required stable power within the settings before it will accept it again so it does not do the off/on/off/on. Watching my meter readings up and down going so fast it is incredible.