suspect dominican friend being forced into marriage NEED ADVICE/HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dba_BAD

Jun 21, 2013
Hello all,

I am writing from the US, but am very concerned that a friend of mine is being forced into marriage by her family to a man she met one week ago. They have cut her off from phone and email, so my understanding of what's going on is very limited, but in the few communications we've shared since this all came out just 3 days ago, she's described feeling very upset and scared. It's hard to tell if it's more the emotions of a reluctant, but basically safe bride to be, or if she is scared and in danger. I now cannot reach her any more. She is being taken to Spain, I don't know if the man is Dominican or Spanish, and I don't know if the trip is permanent, or just like for the wedding or to "meet his family" or whatever. She may already be on her way, or will be taken very soon.

She works (worked?) for Delta as a gate agent at SDQ, and has lots of co-workers, friends and family who must know what's going on, but I'm not directly in touch with any of them. My goal is not to intervene if the wedding is just of some provincial or traditional nature that feels unfamiliar, but if it's closer to the side of abduction I want to help of I can.

Do you think it's crazy to try to get involved from here? I feel like if I could find someone there in SD to reach out to her coworkers just to learn if the nature of the whole thing is unfortunate but basically ok, vs scary and forced I would be able to sleep better at night? What about a Private Investigator?

Looking for any advice, help, tips, etc. Many thanks in advance!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sadly I would leave it alone. If she is really dead set against it she will find a way not to go or reach out to you if your here confidant/friend/novio etc.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If she wanted to she would find a way to contact you. I'm sure she's not being held hostage.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Are you serious ???

She is not forced into any marriage, she is not a 13 yr old from Afghanistan, she is a grown dominican woman with a job.
She met someone else.
She is not interested in your friendship/love anymore that's why she cut ties with YOU.

Move on

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
What would you like us to say about something like this. I saw a lot of movies like this and the woman was always saved at the end, but this is not a movie it could be if you want. DR1 is NOT her family and have never met the woman, I am pretty sure her family is doing what they feel is right for their daughter. You are just a "friend" from the USA. One last thing Dominicans have a way of making a house seems like it is on fire when only a candle is burning. Once I through a rock at a Dominican and the way we acted you would think I shot him. My advice is find another friend the DR have plenty of them males and females you choose.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Take it to FACEBOOK like my two Canadian friends that were locked up. Start a worldwide "boycott" on DR if your friend is not released from the this "forced marriage" that way the President may get involved I think if you are REAL and telling the truth you will be able to save her with money she WILL ask for in the up coming days. If you need info on things like this FACEBOOK is you best bet not DR1. GOOD LUCK and I hope you save her. You can DO IT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.