Here is what I want to do; deal is, is it doable?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Three old guys (74+) in reasonable good health physically and generally speaking, mentally, are getting together for the first time in perhaps 55 or so years.

On different occasions each of my two visitors has been here, visited our beach place (which has been sold) and seen some of the country.

This time I was thinking of taking a Chevy Trail Blazer up into the mountains. We do not have a lot of time: They arrive on a Friday at noon and leave the following Thursday. We have to do some visiting at the orphanage site and we will be having a tiny reception at the HB Hovel on Saturday.

My thoughts are:
Go to Jarabacoa or Constanza for a night (Or leave early and do it in a day) then to Barahona, over the mountains, (Hotel Playa Azul?) and then Bahia de las Aguilas....Perhaps a visit to Polo, and then return via Santo Domingo, because it is easier and probably faster than going back over the mountains. The mountains are for the "adventure" ....wise move?

In all honesty, I am open to any "sane" plans...so fire away, Please!!

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I for one would opt for going to Jamaca de Dios and spending a night there then going to Constanza in the morning. I'd like to know if the road from Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa is in decent shape, i expect cobraboy would know. Best of luck.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would also ask cobraboy for the info of the hotel/restaurant that he uses at Las Pedernales as it has a spectacular view of the beach and even better seafood.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I suggest, "The Less, The Better"!
These guys must be friends of your, who also support the orphanage??????
They are here for those reasons????
I suggest you spend some "Quality Time" with you, smoking good cigars, and drinking, "Presidente, Brugal "1888", or "Cafe" if they like.
Take them for dinner one night at "Camp David".
Ask yourself, "Would they come here to "Sight See" if not for you, and the orphanage"???
At "74", Less, IS More!!!!!!
Let them leave, "Wanting More" time here, not exhausted.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCouch Potato CCCCCCCCCCCCColon.
Or just go to "Casa De Cita" every night!
THAT, they Will Never Forget!!!!

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
btw how would you like to go from Constanza to Barahona "over the mountains" ? You mean road Constanza - San Jose de ocoa?...I wouldnt recommend it.... Its 50 kms and few hours of TERRIBLE ride -no asfalt, just potholes

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It sounds wonderful HB! 74 does not mean unadventurous [is that a word, lol]. With respect to CC, I'm not feelin' 'less is better', I say, go for it. Have fun!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
forget about Polo, its not worth it

It seems to me that one has to go somewhat out of one's way to visit the "polo magnetico". I did it once. The "old guys" will not be overly impressed. And you can quote me on that. (lol.)
I second the emotion that "less is more".

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
btw how would you like to go from Constanza to Barahona "over the mountains" ? You mean road Constanza - San Jose de ocoa?...I wouldnt recommend it.... Its 50 kms and few hours of TERRIBLE ride -no asfalt, just potholes

So is there any reasonable way to go from the Autopista Duarte over the mountains towards Barahona without going through Santo Domingo?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If you're going to Bahia de Las Aguilas, please don't try to get there driving a Chevy Trail Blazer. If the vehicle is prepared for serious off roading no problem. But I don't think a stock SUV will make it. I got stuck in a Toyota 4Runner and had to be towed back up. I'm not an expert off roader, but it was pretty obvious the vehicle couldn't handle the steep and uneven road (huge, loose rocks). Needless to say, it ruined the whole trip and the truck's suspension. Do yourself a favor and take the boats at Cabo Rojo.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Castle: Yes, I was planning on taking the boats at Cabo Rojo!!! No way I am going to walk back from Bahia de las Aguilas!!

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming..

Yes there is a way around Santo Domingo: You take the detour (route) called "El Bad?n" and come out in between San Cristobal and Ban?..Cobraboy and I have both taken it and it works.

I was considering that Constanza-San Jose de Ocoa route for the "adventure" ingredient...any estimates on the time?

What about those cabins way up there? There was a nice thread on them not so long ago....might be nice just to get up there and drink ourselves into a stupor and BS all night.

I do appreciate the input!!

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
HB, miesposo goes all around the country on business trips. he tells me the road from constanza to san jose de ocoa is so bad he never went that way not wanting to damage his car :) but jarabacoa to constanza road is a dream, really stunning.

we went to los montones once, i understand it is somewhere in the area of san jose de ocoa, that is a really great place and i saw few placed with small cabins/hotels by the river. all kinds of middle of nowhere, only accessible by really narrow mountain dirt paths. on the other hand the road towards los montones is, apparently, fixed now so that part of the trip is not too bad.

i will ask miesposo to give his output when he is back tomorrow. accidentally he will be in constanza :)

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I was considering that Constanza-San Jose de Ocoa route for the "adventure" ingredient...any estimates on the time?HB

around 3 hours IF you have good car. don't forget that road san jose do ocoa - cruce do ocoa (to bani or azua) is also bad, especially when its raining...I saw jeepetas stuck in mud in there

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
So is there any reasonable way to go from the Autopista Duarte over the mountains towards Barahona without going through Santo Domingo?

like Hilbilly said, you can go through San Cristobal- Bani
decent map of this country map costs 200 pesos....

Feb 15, 2005
In my humble opinion, leave Pedernales for another trip. You can go as far as to Barahona and stay in Hotel Playa Azul and a day trip to Los Patos or Playa San Rafael (ask for Diomedes, tell him Richard from NY sent you) but to Pedernales is another 2.5 hours and for such a short time not recommendable. You can drive as far as Enriquillo and see one of the 2 most magnificent coastal views of any parts of the island. The other being the new Touristico Boulevard going into Las Terrenas, Samana.

If you do go to Barahona, on the way back Polo is nearby and although a phenomenon, it is a short adventure but you can buy some excellent coffee while there.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
don't forget about Enriquillo...

I was in Polo Magnetico and saw no optic illusion... other persons too...we were all sober, so maybe thats why :pPP forget about Polo, seriously...comparing to mountains in Jarabacoa region is simply not worth it

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You have only four days -- Sunday to Wednesday (Thursday is departure day). To do Jarabacoa/Constanza and Barahona/Pedernales is madness, even if you were 30 years old!

You will be most of the time on the road. That is not a way to enjoy experiences. My suggestion would be to stick to Barahona/Pedernales. Playa Azul is a good place to stay. Also do the zipline at Casa Bonita and finish it with a spa. In their spa they use only local goods. Excellent!

w7bwhz.png