Update On Maimon Cruise Ship Port

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]After a long period of problems on environmental requirements, a garbage mountain that could not be cleared and with owners of surrounding areas who wanted suddenly more money it is finally there: the construction of the cruise port in Maim?n can start within a few days.[/h] [h=5]Carnival Cruise in Puerto Plata[/h]
[h=5]Last Wednesday, June 19, all those involved came together again to solve the remaining problems. It was Deputy Minister C?sar Jos? De los Santos, the entrepreneurs Jeffrey Raanick, Alfredo Valenzuela, Armando Corpas and engineer Mario M?ndez. The dredging of the cruise harbor will start in the coming days. When the first cruise ship will dock in the port of Maim?n, with hundreds of tourists, is not yet known. The cruise terminal will provide some 800 direct jobs. But it will also generate extra revenue for the other parts of Puerto Plata, Maim?n and hopefully Sos?a because passengers will visit these places and use the bars, restaurants and souvenir shops. It is said that cruise ship tourists spend an average of $ 97 for each port of call.[/h]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]After a long period of problems on environmental requirements, a garbage mountain that could not be cleared and with owners of surrounding areas who wanted suddenly more money it is finally there: the construction of the cruise port in Maim?n can start within a few days.[/h] [h=5]Carnival Cruise in Puerto Plata[/h]
[h=5]Last Wednesday, June 19, all those involved came together again to solve the remaining problems. It was Deputy Minister C?sar Jos? De los Santos, the entrepreneurs Jeffrey Raanick, Alfredo Valenzuela, Armando Corpas and engineer Mario M?ndez. The dredging of the cruise harbor will start in the coming days. When the first cruise ship will dock in the port of Maim?n, with hundreds of tourists, is not yet known. The cruise terminal will provide some 800 direct jobs. But it will also generate extra revenue for the other parts of Puerto Plata, Maim?n and hopefully Sos?a because passengers will visit these places and use the bars, restaurants and souvenir shops. It is said that cruise ship tourists spend an average of $ 97 for each port of call.[/h]

interesting they did not say how this 97 dollar average is apportioned.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Uh, oh! I smell a rat! "Dominican investors" are involved in the port project? Will there be enough money for both the "investors" and the politicians to steal? The future of the port project is not so bright.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My bad. The term used in the Sosua News was "entrepreneurs" not investors. Hope this project does not end up like so many others where there was money being spread around. How long before the politicians and the "entrepreneurs" are at each others throat? Is it normal for a project like this to involve entrepreneurs? Seems like this sort of thing is usually done by the government although in the DR that might be even worse.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I hope I am never on a Beach in "Punta Cana" and I see one of these huge Cruise Ships so close to shore especially while it is emptying its 6000 tons of stewed latrine waters... I've seen in Nassau how these Cruise Ship ports destroy the paradise beach front.. 3 mile off shore no problem, but God willing PC will never ever become a hub..

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I hope I am never on a Beach in "Punta Cana" and I see one of these huge Cruise Ships so close to shore especially while it is emptying its 6000 tons of stewed latrine waters... I've seen in Nassau how these Cruise Ship ports destroy the paradise beach front.. 3 mile off shore no problem, but God willing PC will never ever become a hub..

I have a condo on Paradise Island less than 3 miles from Prince George Wharf in Nassau, where they dock sometimes up to 10 cruise ships, and my beach is still pristine..yes I have to put up with noisy jet skies but the value of my condo doubled ...let me post some pics of my misery...a cruise ship harbor wont do any damage to Maimon beach or any other beach that you were not using anyway, some of you guys are so negative you would complain about the suction pressure if Angelina Jolie was giving you a blow job.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=206236922732068&set=o.139722886042969&type=3&theater

ok its not a cruise ship day but this is what I have to put up with, my view from my condo

167uu4z.jpg

evil capitalist cruise lines facken w my beach!

by the way its for rent at $600 per night if I can fit you in. 3 bedrooms..holidays its more.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

what has any cruise ship done to Punta Cana beach,......did your girlfriend jump off the ship and you couldn't get a lawsuit going?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Uh, oh! I smell a rat! "Dominican investors" are involved in the port project? Will there be enough money for both the "investors" and the politicians to steal? The future of the port project is not so bright.

Agree this will be MASSIVE FAILURE and another embarrassment for the DR, A Country that is so azz backwards politically and infrastructure wise, and not to mention the tourists won't want to spend their dough here on the assortment of horrid Dominican Art and the other crapola they try and sell as gifts... I don't see a Dominican 5th avenue stroll for the tourists.
But my main point is keep this crapola away from PC..

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Gonna be interesting to see what sort of fees are levied per person to dock. And if the deals made now change once the port is finished and the 1st ship arrives.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There will be no port charges to enter, but there will be $100 pp tax to leave. :) Dominicans will f up a wet dream. (no racism intended)

frankiefixit

Jul 6, 2013
I have a condo on Paradise Island less than 3 miles from Prince George Wharf in Nassau, where they dock sometimes up to 10 cruise ships, and my beach is still pristine..yes I have to put up with noisy jet skies but the value of my condo doubled ...let me post some pics of my misery...a cruise ship harbor wont do any damage to Maimon beach or any other beach that you were not using anyway, some of you guys are so negative you would complain about the suction pressure if Angelina Jolie was giving you a blow job.
Well said, Conchman.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
The construction and financing for this project is coming from the Carnival Corporation. Looks like they are going to be the ones controlling this project and not the Dominican Government. That's how it has to be done if there is any hope of it actually being completed timely. This will be a good deal for the Maimon area but few outside of that area are going to see much benefit from it. With a 65 million dollar investment you can be assured that Carnival will be in complete control of what is going on. Once they get done greasing the necessary palms of course.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The construction and financing for this project is coming from the Carnival Corporation. Looks like they are going to be the ones controlling this project and not the Dominican Government. That's how it has to be done if there is any hope of it actually being completed timely. This will be a good deal for the Maimon area but few outside of that area are going to see much benefit from it. With a 65 million dollar investment you can be assured that Carnival will be in complete control of what is going on. Once they get done greasing the necessary palms of course.

how will it be a good deal for the Maimon area? let me rephrase that; how will it be a good deal for the people from the Maimon area?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
how will it be a good deal for the Maimon area? let me rephrase that; how will it be a good deal for the people from the Maimon area?

Even if they bring in their own people for every single job so they can control every little detail (Disneyesque), it still brings attention to the North Coast which should result in more tourism. Which ties in with all the recent "improvement" plans/projects/appointments on the NC.

You gotta start somewhere...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Even if they bring in their own people for every single job so they can control every little detail (Disneyesque), it still brings attention to the North Coast which should result in more tourism. Which ties in with all the recent "improvement" plans/projects/appointments on the NC.

You gotta start somewhere...

Yes it will bring more attention to the NC, but if the people treat the cruise customers like the beach vendors do it will be the wrong type of attention tourism is looking for.
Perfect example, I was on a cruise of the Caribbean and we stopped in Ocho Rios Jamacia. Everyone was so harrassed by the stupid vendors that 90% of the people swore they would never vacation in Jamacia. I have never set foot in Jamacia again, and never considered it as a vacation spot after that.
This could also happen here, that is if Carnival has any money left after the numerous lawsuits against them for faulty ships.
Much as I hate to admit this, Gordon has a good point.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012

Well the kind of influx of people looking to be served will provide many new jobs for that area. Someone has to work at the bars, places to eat, shops and attractions and those jobs are likely to be made available to the locals in the area who want them. The pay will be far less than what an American is used to making but far more than what a local can earn. Not to many job opportunities in Maimon right now. Anyone who has cruised knows these stops are a golden opportunity for the locals to earn some income.