Dog Trainer in Santiago?

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Seeking a trainer for a Rottweiler less than a year old. Anyone have any experience with a trainer in the area?
Raised from a puppy but need help enabling more control and learning to respond to commands.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
From what I have read indeed Belgianank is very capable. However I have been thinking for some time to do some training in the Santiago area in return for donations to the Tardiff Orphanage. This would probably end up in a "No good deed goes unpunished" scenario but maybe in would work out.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I think SantiagueroRD is your best bet, and hey you help the orphanage out as well. The only other trainer I know in Santiago has the habit of breaking the willpower of a dog, and that is not what you want.

Good luck with the rottie

BelgianK

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Thanks,
Definitely don't want to break the dogs spirit. No problem helping out the Orphanage. Sent SantiagueroRD a PM.
Jimmy

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, I am back after a brief sojourn for a tune up & oil change! Jimmy if you called me I missed your call so call again. To any others in the area of Cibao if you would like to have training in training dogs I will not train your dog for you BUT I will train you how to train. Payment will be negotiated as donations to Tardiff Orphanage. Or if you like we could discuss this here as it is a lot easier than you think. If the Moderator thinks it is appropriate as relates to DR dog training.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Can you train huskies who appear to have selective deafness? Just want to run and don't come when called?

Matilda

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Good Afternoon, I am back after a brief sojourn for a tune up & oil change! Jimmy if you called me I missed your call so call again. To any others in the area of Cibao if you would like to have training in training dogs I will not train your dog for you BUT I will train you how to train. Payment will be negotiated as donations to Tardiff Orphanage. Or if you like we could discuss this here as it is a lot easier than you think. If the Moderator thinks it is appropriate as relates to DR dog training.
I have a 8 month old Pittweiler.I am back in Santiago end of August and are interested in help with the training of my dog.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, I will as I said help YOU to learn in exchange for donations to the Tardiff Orphange. Most of you could not afford to pay me what I am worth and I just turned down a case in Jacksonville because I don't feel like doing it. In 1985/86 I trained dogs here for the Cabral y Baez family, the guy who owned El Gallo stores with the incredible gardens on Duarte & the Quezadas Cuban cigar family among others for 100 pesos a session when the exchange rate was 3 for 1 and that is way low. We can work out the details on an honor basis later so lets get started. I am not going to list all the training courses, competitions, and Units I have commanded but rather suffice it to say I am a US Federal Court Certified expert Witness in the training & deployment of Service dogs. I am not here to argue with Google Commandos, backyard "My uncle said" experts , Dog Whisperers who have a special way to communicate with dogs, or graduates of Bumble*uck dog Training Academy so don't waste my time if you have a question no problem. I invite Belgianank to make any comments he cares to as he is the only one I know of here who is qualified.............................. Ok now that is out of the way I am going to say this over & over you need to do three things to train a dog = PRAISE THEM WHEN THEY ARE RIGHT, CORRECT THEM WHEN THEY ARE WRONG AND BE CONSISTENT. These guys are the result of thousands of years of selective breeding to get the ones who want to do what we want. But you have to clearly let them know what to do.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Ms. Matilda you will need to leash train your dog as a basis to communicate but how do you use his name? How do you use the name of humans? We use humans names to get their attention not over & over louder & louder meaning to make them listen. You only use a call name when the dog has his back turned or other wise distracted ONCE. Repetition just makes them believe that it has no real import. Huskies have a reputation as Snappers & Dog fighters while being stubborn so make sure you do a "presentation" with food not just put down the bowl.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
By presentation I mean feed once a day at the same time, at first run your hands through the food, while keeping the food off the floor call the dog ONCE using the word "come" then "sit", wait varying lengths of time then while you are putting the food down maintain eye contact and use the correction "no" (or a guttural harsh sound that I can only describe as AHHH) raising the food until the dog is patiently waiting for you to use the command "ok" which indicates he is not under orders and can eat. This is why leash training first is so important.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
If I do not comment or answer a question right away it is because I am doing something else but I will get to it. I have a problem when I am logged in that I have to log in to the central forum then go to this posting each time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks so much. He sits on command, and I will start doing what you suggest with the food - he only gets fed once a day. He walks perfectly on the leash. However, I would like to let him free with the other dogs in the garden - which is very big, but once you let him off the leash he runs and runs, will not come back, even if called, finds a hole in the fence or makes one and disappears to try and kill the neighbours' chickens. I would like to let him free, then call and he would come back to me. The other dogs are all well behaved and come when called - just not him.

Matilda

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Evening, Ok good so far. Put the dog in a sit on you left side both of you facing forward. Say sit once as you raise his head by raising the leash (you have to have taken the slack out) and push down on his hindquarters by the tail. A one movement sharp push and then ????? Praise because he did the right thing…………. When you go for the leash say goofy happy things in a nice voice because you want him to associate leash with good. Do that maybe three days. Training should not be over about 20 minutes a day very happy with a big joyous OK when he is released……… Then teach him stay by while he is sitting quickly put your hand in close front of his eyes while you simultaneously step out in front facing him. Use correction ahhh & pop the leash up if he starts to move. The idea is that the hand in front of his eyes will make him flinch and stay a moment whilst you are then already in front with eye contact. When you have that down pat you can move onto come…… Don’t ever put the dog in a situation where he is bound to fail like screaming “come sit etc” while he is chasing chickens it just takes things backwards. By the way this is very hard for me to say all this in words as I have always been present to show & tell so I am sorry if it is not clear. If you are ever near Santiago I can meet & show you, you will not need the dog to be present.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Good Evening, Ok good so far. Put the dog in a sit on you left side both of you facing forward. Say sit once as you raise his head by raising the leash (you have to have taken the slack out) and push down on his hindquarters by the tail. A one movement sharp push and then ????? Praise because he did the right thing…………. When you go for the leash say goofy happy things in a nice voice because you want him to associate leash with good. Do that maybe three days. Training should not be over about 20 minutes a day very happy with a big joyous OK when he is released……… Then teach him stay by while he is sitting quickly put your hand in close front of his eyes while you simultaneously step out in front facing him. Use correction ahhh & pop the leash up if he starts to move. The idea is that the hand in front of his eyes will make him flinch and stay a moment whilst you are then already in front with eye contact. When you have that down pat you can move onto come…… Don’t ever put the dog in a situation where he is bound to fail like screaming “come sit etc” while he is chasing chickens it just takes things backwards. By the way this is very hard for me to say all this in words as I have always been present to show & tell so I am sorry if it is not clear. If you are ever near Santiago I can meet & show you, you will not need the dog to be present.

So far I agree with SantiagueroRD 100%, especially where he states it is very hard to put it into words. Only 2 remarks...
There is a huge difference in training a dog or a puppy. Clearly the puppy is a lot easier. Secondly, SantiagueroDR can only give general guidelines here, as every dog is different. Basic principles, as he outlined here, are very correct, but might have to be adapted a bit to every different dog.

I have been asked to give training in Santiago, but honestly, I think SantiagueroDR can do at least an equal job, and as he is there, it will be easier for the clients, and cheaper.

BelgianK

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good morning, As usual Belgianank is spot on with his comments. BUT as we trainers know there is always minor differences in opinion consider this like Martial Arts or Football (the real one!) Coaches we each have different training and experiences. If you have a dog you should take the time to train him/her. It is better for both of you. Any questions?