Independant hiking up Pico Duarte - advice/info/experience?

hueman

Jun 21, 2012
Hi all, has anyone hiked up Pico Duarte without going through a Tour Agency? Myself and a friend would like to, we are top fit and have done similar stretches before, we do want to hire a local guide but we don't want to go with a group nor do we need all the luxuries etc., we just want to go up and down (from Jarabacoa/La Cienega de Manabao as we will be there already) probably within 2 days or 1.5 even, camping a night on the way but staying safe at the same time.
Any advice and/or info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks...

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Hi all, has anyone hiked up Pico Duarte without going through a Tour Agency? Myself and a friend would like to, we are top fit and have done similar stretches before, we do want to hire a local guide but we don't want to go with a group nor do we need all the luxuries etc., we just want to go up and down (from Jarabacoa/La Cienega de Manabao as we will be there already) probably within 2 days or 1.5 even, camping a night on the way but staying safe at the same time.
Any advice and/or info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks...

A tour agency is not required and expensive. You can hire a local guide and the cargo mule at La Cienega/park entrance at the Park office (Ranger Station?). The guide serves as the cook also. Local products/provisions can be purchased at one of the two/three "colmados" at the base camp/trail head. I used one of the ranger's brother several times in the past. He was reasonable. His name is Dario. I fast tracked the last couple of times; spending the prior night at the cabin at the trail head, making arrangements and starting the early next morning.

The hike is about 11 miles to "La Comparticion" the camp/only lodging before summiting. You spent the night there and get up early (3~4 am) to hike the last three miles to the summit to catch the spectacular sunrise.

Hike back to La Comparticion, pick up your gear, and head back down to the park entrance. Total distance on second day- a respectable 17 miles.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Me and a buddy paid the guide DR$ 3,000, we picked him up at the base-camp. This was in early January 2013, which included DR$ 1,000 in tip.

We also did the fast-track two days. We started late and arrived in the dark on day 1 to La Comparticion. The second day up-and down Duarte and then down again. We started early (left base @ 06:00, were back at base @ 11:15, this is about as fast as you can do it (I was the first up and down Duarte that day). After a light lunch we left La Comparticion @ 11:45, to arrive at the lodge in La Cienega around 21:30, slodging through the swamp after dark, but making it down the mountain before all light faded, outrunning the mule and the guide on the way down; he and the mule caught us again at the uphill parts, so we finished descending the mountain together.

The distances mentioned in most guide books are as the crow flies, not as the mountaineer walks.

The real distances are roughly 60K all told or about 40 miles, as near as I could make out based upon the information from the guides and my own experience on the track.

For example:

1. There is a track between La Laguna and La Cruce, these points are 500m apart as the crow flies, but the elevation is 200m (2180-1980m), or 40%, something which no human can easily climb. According to Phytagoras that gives one approx 538 ms of track, assuming a straight line point to point, which isn't the case (there are hairpin bends and a little up and down). It would be safe to say the track in reality is about 1000 grueling ms due to hairpins and track lay-out

2. There is a track between La Cruce and Aguita Fria which gives and elevation change of (2650-2180) 470 ms over a distance of 5K or almost a 9.5% incline. Again this is as the crow flies. In reality you will cross a minor saddle leaving La Cruce dropping to about 2100 m, before going up the mountain to over 2800m, then dropping down to Aguita Fria again at 2650m. This makes the elevation to be conquered about 700m not 470m as stated and the incline at 14%. Again the track isn't a straight line (the climb up from 2100 to 2800 consists of mostly hairpin turns to cope with the angle of elevation).

These are just two examples, but you get the picture, this is a serious trail hike. And the distances and elevation inclines are larger than they appear on the map, which we also found out on the track itself.

Last edited:

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
There is /was a recent post on here from 3 girls that were doing that trip.. They hired some Donkey's. Guide etc. and apparently rode them up and back.. I asked the OP to post pic's and comments about their trip but have not seen a reply...

hueman

Jun 21, 2012
WOW THANKS ALL! Great News and FAST :)
Looking very much foward to this - will post pics too :)
Excited and thanks again!!! Thats just made my day... Happy July!

RayER

Sep 16, 2013
Could I get some info from both of you on options.
We have a group of about 10 in good shape who would like to hike Pico Duarte 3 Day hike - Feb 2014.
Please advise links, pricing and options. Coming from San Pedro on south coast. Can provide own transport to Jarabacoa.
Thank you

Ray Richardson
Canada

Sent from my iPad

hueman

Jun 21, 2012
Hey there! Thanks for reminding me to follow up and post my experience/advice for hiking up Pico Duarte.

Ok...

1st stop: Jarabacoa town - Cheap & Great Hotel - Hotel California - really nice and central enough.
And for a great eat just down the same road as the hotel - Ask for the Columbian Food Place! Amazing!!!

Early Morning rise and set off towards...

2nd stop: La Cienega - a bumpy but scenic drive to the town at the foot of the mountain range you need to start from.

There are plenty Guides who live right there and are ready to take you where no you has been before :)

We were 2 people and hired 1 guide with his mule to carry the bulk of our stuff which wasn't much but a relief anyway. We paid about 100 bucks and the guide was very happy. If you haven't already, buy food and drink in the Colmado (store) right there before you leave, tip: get a bit more and spoil the guide a little (and the donkey :)

We did the fast-track: Up one day, down the next. Do not attempt this if you're not super fit, we wished we had taken a day extra to relax as it's super nice up there too! Plus, the Guide would have cost the same no matter. Be sure to grab a good solid walking stick (if you can't find one ask the guide) - this helps foot placement and acts as a 3rd leg, trust me, always good to have, especially on your way down in steep parts etc.

We pretty much ran up, full of enthusiasm and splendor at each level of the climb, admiring the different atmosphere and surroundings on the various stages of the hike - trees, plants, parrots, crows (real spooky at this level, misty with squawking crows), the fresh water well where we had lunch, there's lots to see but maybe not so obvious all the time.

3rd stop: Reached the Cabin about an hour before dark, enough time to gather some wood for the fire inside the cabin while the guide and the Guy who looks after the cabins sorted out the main fire outside. They then cooked the food up for us all and with the darkening nightfall came quite a chill - take plenty warm clothing, a good sleeping bag and an insulator mat for underneath! And lots of coffee for...

Next morning very early start @ 4.30 am! If you want to witness the sunrise from the peak, you need to leave at 5 am in order to hike the rest which isn't far but pretty steep! Our alarm clock abandoned us and we left late so really struggled to make it!

But we did :) WOW, Amazing, what a sense of achievement but even better, what a view! Pretty cold though, make sure you are dressed warm, it's like a freezing thin winter air up there!

Enjoy and take your time back down, the return path seems to take forever much longer than going up but is enjoyable too.

I'll post some photos when I've got time to shrink and upload them, for now I hope this gives some insight and advice. Feel free to ask any info, will be glad to help :)

Good luck with the weather and ENJOY!

Liz Burgos

Nov 7, 2014
Hey there! Thanks for reminding me to follow up and post my experience/advice for hiking up Pico Duarte.

Ok...

1st stop: Jarabacoa town - Cheap & Great Hotel - Hotel California - really nice and central enough.
And for a great eat just down the same road as the hotel - Ask for the Columbian Food Place! Amazing!!!

Early Morning rise and set off towards...

2nd stop: La Cienega - a bumpy but scenic drive to the town at the foot of the mountain range you need to start from.

There are plenty Guides who live right there and are ready to take you where no you has been before :)

We were 2 people and hired 1 guide with his mule to carry the bulk of our stuff which wasn't much but a relief anyway. We paid about 100 bucks and the guide was very happy. If you haven't already, buy food and drink in the Colmado (store) right there before you leave, tip: get a bit more and spoil the guide a little (and the donkey :)

We did the fast-track: Up one day, down the next. Do not attempt this if you're not super fit, we wished we had taken a day extra to relax as it's super nice up there too! Plus, the Guide would have cost the same no matter. Be sure to grab a good solid walking stick (if you can't find one ask the guide) - this helps foot placement and acts as a 3rd leg, trust me, always good to have, especially on your way down in steep parts etc.

We pretty much ran up, full of enthusiasm and splendor at each level of the climb, admiring the different atmosphere and surroundings on the various stages of the hike - trees, plants, parrots, crows (real spooky at this level, misty with squawking crows), the fresh water well where we had lunch, there's lots to see but maybe not so obvious all the time.

3rd stop: Reached the Cabin about an hour before dark, enough time to gather some wood for the fire inside the cabin while the guide and the Guy who looks after the cabins sorted out the main fire outside. They then cooked the food up for us all and with the darkening nightfall came quite a chill - take plenty warm clothing, a good sleeping bag and an insulator mat for underneath! And lots of coffee for...

Next morning very early start @ 4.30 am! If you want to witness the sunrise from the peak, you need to leave at 5 am in order to hike the rest which isn't far but pretty steep! Our alarm clock abandoned us and we left late so really struggled to make it!

But we did :) WOW, Amazing, what a sense of achievement but even better, what a view! Pretty cold though, make sure you are dressed warm, it's like a freezing thin winter air up there!

Enjoy and take your time back down, the return path seems to take forever much longer than going up but is enjoyable too.

I'll post some photos when I've got time to shrink and upload them, for now I hope this gives some insight and advice. Feel free to ask any info, will be glad to help :)

Good luck with the weather and ENJOY!

Did you bring yours sleeping bags etc. to the DR or did you rent them while you were here? Do you know of any place that sells/rents sleeping bags?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ferreteria Americana in Santo Domingo on JF Kennedy Avenue sells sleeping bags. Take note the temperature falls below zero. You can camp inside one of the cabanas kept by the Ministry of Environment, where it is slightly warmer. This meaning, you should get a sleeping bag for COLD temperatures, not for camping on a beach!

Several of the larger hotels in Jarabacoa will offer excursions where the sleeping bags and other gear will be provided. I would recommend going with them, for your own safety and comfort. This is a serious trail. The camping tours know how to soften the hardships of the trip. Money paid to go with a professional outfit is well spent. Also, there are different routes to the Pico Duarte.

Anyway, you will need to take a ranger with you to do the excursion. You should monitor the weather to avoid going if there is a forecast of rains for the area. The trails are very rudimentary and if it has been raining, you will advance at one step per minute through the mud.

That said, the Pico Duarte is a mind-blowing excursion. I did it with a group of friends. One of our friends has been there 50 times, the others were all first-timers. On the way up and down could just remember the Carpenter's song.

THE CARPENTERS LYRICS - Top Of The World

igorm9999

Aug 16, 2016
Guide contact number

Hi there everyone,

We are going to the DR next week and we would like to climb/hike Pico Duarte.

Of course, with the tour guides all giving prices in excess of 1000 dollars for 3 people, this is hardly affordable and we will want to get a guide ourselves to lead us up on the 2 day option.

I was wondering if anyone has a number for a local guide or the park entrance office which I could call to get a guide reserved because I really wouldn't want to just go completely unprepared.

Thanks in advance.

Igor

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi there everyone,

We are going to the DR next week and we would like to climb/hike Pico Duarte.

Of course, with the tour guides all giving prices in excess of 1000 dollars for 3 people, this is hardly affordable and we will want to get a guide ourselves to lead us up on the 2 day option.

I was wondering if anyone has a number for a local guide or the park entrance office which I could call to get a guide reserved because I really wouldn't want to just go completely unprepared.

Thanks in advance.

Igor

Holy Zombie Thread Batman!
Look up Rancho Wendy in or near La Vega, no it was a bit further south than that, Bonao Los Quamados!. But last I knew he charged about $100 to take hikers up the mountain. If he doesn't do so any more he could probably say who does.
Der Fish

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do not cut corners on a trip to Pico Duarte. A good operation will make the difference between a gruelling nightmare and a taxing but inspiring fun trip. A three day minimum is recommended.

In addition to Rancho Baiguate, can recommend the tours lead by Desde el Medio Tours out of Santo Domingo. See their website online. The owner of this company, Ivan Gomez, was in the first Dominican expedition to reach the top of Mount Everest.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
I just hiked a month ago towards El Pico Duarte, but close to the summit we headed towards El Valle del Tetero, 39km round trip from Manabao, Jarabacoa. Camped out for one day and headed back.

The hike was not a joke, plenty of water and trail mix was key. Once in the valley, it felt like being in the land of the lost. No houses or roads and the temp dropped to 6c at night (in the middle JULY !!!). Reminded me of Big Sur California.

I was told that you must use a guide, I would not do it without one, many trails along the route that are not clearly marked. My toes are still black and blue, but would do it again.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are many different routes to get to the top of the Caribbean. But if you will only do it once, would recommend you reach Pico Duarte which is promoted as the tallest mountain. I have pending a trip to Valle del Tetero, which is a different excursion. I am told it is easier to do than the one to Pico Duarte.

When I went, we hiked all the way up to Valle de Lilis (about an hour's walk from the Pico Duarte height). It was at a time when the Comparticion camping site was in bad condition, and our tour leader wanted us to camp out at the new Valle de Lilis site.

We were four couples, and our group leader had done the hike many many times. My husband had been up twice. It was my first.

We had two local guides with us, carrying the cargo and helping with the excursion. But again, one of our group was the expert for the trip.

I hiked up all the way to the point known as "La Loma del Arrepentimiento" (Repentence Moutain), that is correctly named. From then on our guide leader ordered all women, minus his wife who had done it several times before, on mules. He was right. I don't think I would have made it on foot.

That is why I recommend the three day excursion. With three days one has time to recover and continue on foot.

But I strongly recommend if you are a first timer to go with a GOOD operation and not cut corners. It is for your comfort and safety. I heard the stories from a friend who went with a US Embassy group that wanted to save and did not go with a major operation and ended up with a negative experience. A good support group can make it a wonderful trip.

Save when going for a beach excursion, not going up the tallest mountain.