Anybody see the fire in Cabarete last night? Here's the scoop . . . .

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I have received several reports of the fire in Cabarete last night. The local e-news from Cabarete is here:

fuego en la laguna de Cabarete el primero de julio 2013 | Cabarete noticias

with video.

Here is the translation:

Fire in the lagoon of Cabarete the first of July 2013

July 2, 2013 | Filed under: News | Posted by: caba8255

An impressive fire Cabarete Lagoon lasted several hours threatening Loma alley. Luckily, firefighters acted on the 2 sides of the pond and the fire was extinguished early morning. That kind of action has to be punished heavily by environmental risk putting people and animals.

See there is a fire department!!

May 29, 2006
I thought they did control burns around there every year. Are there sugar fields that would be burning? I heard the way they set the fields on fire is to tie a rag soaked in gas to a rat on its tail with a string and then let it run through the fields..

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I certainly wouldn't be surprised. I recall that the locals used to start the fires in the lagoon to drive the wildlife out so they can be caught. I don't know if this started that way but it was big and sounds like it was out of control. As far as I know, the locals are no longer permitted to do the fire so it could be something else started it. Very dangerous!! At least there were no injuries or loss of property.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Wildlife in the lagoon? Like what?
The gaseous mixtures that permeate
the lagoon ignited. There was no ash at all.
The area is being developed all over. ......and the black waste goes right back into the lagoon
or the sea. This will get more ugly as the Callejon and La Cienega grow.
You cannot build on dunes and lagoons and expect Mother Nature to not rebel.

A message is being sent. Her cry is loud. The response is muted.

Last edited:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
...you folks need to move to Cabrera, and use Playa Entrada for your windsurfing. No lagoon and not near as many environmental problems.

...but I can't say much about smoking in bed to cause fires and burn everything around you (including you). That happens everywhere.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wildlife in the lagoon? Like what?
The gaseous mixtures that permeate
the lagoon ignited. There was no ash at all.
The area is being developed all over. ......and the black waste goes right back into the lagoon
or the sea. This will get more ugly as the Callejon and La Cienega grow.
You cannot build on dunes and lagoons and expect Mother Nature to not rebel.

A message is being sent. Her cry is loud. The response is muted.

There was a lot of ash in my swimming pool. As for building illegally on public parks and wetlands that is of course the big picture problem and just another issue allowed by the current "leader" in that area.