How to avoid crime while on the road in Santo Domingo

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I know I've asked somewhat similar questions a while back, but due to the acuteness of the situation with people being held up at gunpoint in broad daylight on major streets, I'd like to know what one can do to avoid becoming a victim of such a crime.

I will be travelling solely in a taxi while in SD, for the most part to and from the SDQ airport and a bit in the city (Bella Vista area). Is there a certain type of taxi I should take (SUV or van with tinted windows), sitting in the back seat, etc.?

And is there a better way to dress to avoid being a victim, such as wearing a t-shirt and baseball cap instead of a collared shirt? People will be able to see that I'm European regardless of how I dress. I am much bigger than most Dominicans so I don't know if I'd be a prime target (although when guns are involved this can be irrelevant).

Any thoughts?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If I were you, I wouldn't worry so much. I guess we all know what the basic precautions are, make sure you follow them and then forget about the rest. There is always a risk, but trust me when I tell you it's not as bad as you might think. Relax.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If you are that stressed go to Bermuda or Grand Cayman, your only concern will be when NOT to wear a navy blazer.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
yes people know im american even if i can blend in a little but i always bring 2000 pasos my cheap claro phone and maybe one credit card and i take the regular metro were you are stuffed with alot of people nothing ever happened. im so sure that nothing will happen i even been in area were it was extremely poor and i was ok

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
There's perhaps a kharma issue about to happen. The more you stress over this, the more likely it'll happen.

You should take standard precautions and then try to relax (not let your guard down.) I'm a motoconcho/carro publica/guagua kind of gal, and I try to wait with other females (especially those with a child or two) and always try to greet everyone politely in Spanish so that they know I speak Spanish. I always keep my real cash hidden, know what the price is ahead of time, verify it with other passengers, etc. etc. I've passed on rides that just don't seem right, and somewhat feel there is safety with numbers, so prefer getting in with a bunch of people, rather than one scary looking dude. As a single white female, I sometimes feel I fit the profile of someone most likely to be attacked, but it's never happened. Attitude helps, but nothing will prevent that random event that just happens. I don't live there, however, so I willingly differ to opinions of those that live full time in the capitol. I can die happily and never step foot in the capitol again.

Once you're settled, it may be a good idea to get the number of a "taxista" that you particularly like/trust/didn't rip you off, and always use that person. That way you don't have to have that insecurity each time you go out. You may have already done so, but you can ask other DR1'ers for a reputable person. I tend to tip those that don't try to rip me off more, but being safe is certainly worth it as is not having to deal with the gringo pricing structure each time.

A cheap phone as bizzyboneizo said is helpful, just don't expect to be calling 911 (or whatever you call in Europe.)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'm still waiting to see all this violence! I've only seen dead people from accidents.

Thankfully, I had many years of visiting the DR before I ever heard of DR1. While I appreciate the wealth of information here, I don't think I'd have been brave enough to go had I just gotten information from here.

My friends joke about how I have a knack of clearing out just in time to miss the bar fight. Once "fulano" starts showing off his weapon, I'm gone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you worry too much, bernie. in SD i use maxi taxi, 809 544 0077. they have crappy inconspicuous cars and you can ask for rate beforehand. of course since you do not speak spanish you may be better off having someone else call. they will tell you what car they are sending so you don't get into the wrong one.
i've been to SD many times, most often alone, i recon it ain't as bad as it's portrait here.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes , there are things you can do to lessen the risk especially as your nominated route sometimes has few cars ,Try not to travel after 10 pm .sit in the back .do not use a taxi that has two people in it and it is always best in SD to call for a taxi apollo or another company so they can register the taxis movements . Even at the airport use a taxi that has a companys name on it and call the company if you speak spanish

Thankfully, I had many years of visiting the DR before I ever heard of DR1. While I appreciate the wealth of information here, I don't think I'd have been brave enough to go had I just gotten information from here.

My friends joke about how I have a knack of clearing out just in time to miss the bar fight. Once "fulano" starts showing off his weapon, I'm gone.

I would not have bought where we did had I read all of Dr1 first. I would have insisted on a Gated Community!
I think the info is good and mostly accurate but I like my area and don't feel unsafe at all once I got the house fixed up and dogs etc....

It is good to be safer than sorry but you don't want to look like a frightened little girl all the time or you will get targeted.

I've never been so happy to be judged because of my neck to toe tats here. They are too busy with their mouths open staring to rob or attack me and/or they think I am from Jail. :)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Don't carry more money than you need and don't show off with expensive phones, jewelry etc is my advice. But then the same advice would apply to most cities, including London, where I come form.

It doesn't matter how you dress unless you look Dominican in the first place, you are a gringo.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
If you are that stressed go to Bermuda or Grand Cayman, your only concern will be when NOT to wear a navy blazer.

Why would anyone be concern wearing a blazer with his shorts:confused:

2modmar.jpg
[/IMG]

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Don't go if you don't have the balls.. How do you behave in a train with fighting hooligans, how do you react when some robber is pointing a gun at you? How do you react when you as white boy are walking alone in a black bad neigberhood.. Man keep it cool! When you show fear the dogs will smell it and you be gone! Show that you are confident and that if they want to take you down that they will go down with you! Its about attitude! don't be cocky but be confident! Criminals pray on the weak.. so whats it is gonna be?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I would not have bought where we did had I read all of Dr1 first. I would have insisted on a Gated Community!
I think the info is good and mostly accurate but I like my area and don't feel unsafe at all once I got the house fixed up and dogs etc....

It is good to be safer than sorry but you don't want to look like a frightened little girl all the time or you will get targeted.

I've never been so happy to be judged because of my neck to toe tats here. They are too busy with their mouths open staring to rob or attack me and/or they think I am from Jail. :)

Harley, as long as they think you are part of the "hells angels". You rock! there is a clubhouse near me, all you need is a "patch"...