hello...

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hi. Just registered, and have many questions, but will start with one...actually two.
I have wanted to visit DR for some time, but was warned it might not be a good
idea to visit alone. I know not a soul in the country, and typically travel alone. Do you
think it particularly dangerous for an American (man) to travel to the country alone?
Are there any precautions you might suggest for one making such a journey(e.g. places
to avoid, places you recommend)?

Thanks in advance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, a couple of questions back at you. Where were you thinking of going in DR? Are you looking for beaches and relaxation, or women and nightlife? Are you thinking of an AI or getting a hotel and winging it, or "Backpacking" across DR? Do you speak any Spanish?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
I would likely go to the capital, but would rather find a place that tourists do not frequent.
I am always looking for women :knockedou, but am too afraid of stds to hire a lady of the evening.
Not really into nightlife; I like a good cup of coffee, great glass of wine, good conversation.
Not sure what an "AI" is... I would probably wander for a couple of weeks to a month.
Though not fluent, I speak enough Spanish to get by (or at least I did on my last excursion out
ot the U.S., to Panama.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
An AI is an all-inclusive hotel. None of those in the capital.

If you're thinking about Santo Domingo, consider the Colonial Zone, a lot of single guys go there. From there you can travel around the capital, and east or west out of the city very easily. Buses abound to everywhere.

Truthfully, if you're used to travelling alone and have 'street smarts' you'll be fine almost anywhere.

And welcome to DR1!!

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks.
Is there another city you might recommend? I find that capital cities are not always the best, nor the least expensive.
Oh, and how might I "wing it"? Is it realatively easy to find decent lodging with out having it pre-arranged? I would rather
land, and then find someplace on the move.
Thanks for enduring questions and ignorance about these things. I ask because I was told that it is dangerous to 1. go to the
country alone, and 2. arrive without a hotel room reserved. As for street smarts, I am from an infamously dangerous city in
the U.S., so I do have them; just don't know if they apply the same way in the D.R.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
As for street smarts, I am from an infamously dangerous city in
the U.S., so I do have them; just don't know if they apply the same way in the D.R.

Although I live in a major metro area in the US, I'm pretty much a country bumpkin and have little interest in going to Detroit or likely the big city you are from. I say that as a way to preface that I think it's safe for reasonable young men to travel to Santo Domingo alone. It's even doable for females, with the usual extra precautions. Your street smarts will help in that you need to observe your surroundings.

I would plan to stay a couple of days in the Zona Colonial, then move on. Where depends on what you like. And I've stayed in a "cabana" in a pinch--I wouldn't rule it out if you end up being somewhere and didn't plan ahead.

Most Dominicans will warn you against visiting XYZ place as those people there are "bad". So it's a little tricky when you don't know anyone to judge the advice. Do a little research in advance, get on a guagua, and have fun! The farther away from tourist areas you get, the more likely you are to experience the generosity and zest for life that Dominicans have. The tourist areas, by nature, bring out the scammers and those on the take.

Welcome to DR1, you can also search the forums by region to see what others have to say about other areas.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
OK... so a hotel/flight package is likely not the way to go. What's the Zona Colonial, and why do you recommend?
Oh... and, at the risk of being a pain, is Santo Domingo reasonably safe? Apparently, that is the main arrival point for international flights.

By the way, you must be psychic, Rubia; I lived for a few years in Detroit.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Zona Colonial is the colonial zone of Santo Domingo, where the city began, it's hundreds of years old. Easy walking to everything, from the oldest cathedral in the new world, to the mercado to buy a mango. Lots of little shops, restaurants, people watching. Many small residential hotels.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes Santo Dominigo is reasonably safe if you use your street smarts, Certainly the Zona is safe. Do not worry about getting transport from the airport,.all the taxis are there and they are all $30. I would get a good guide book. Lonely Planet was not so great for a while but may be better now (I say not so great because for a while they were doing reviews of all inclusive hotels.. but in Punta Cana that is about all there is!). Depending on how long you have to stay// days, months?? the Capital is a good place to get an aparthotel room for a week and get yourself grounded. All the buses to all the other places leave from here so it is nice to sorta have a place that you can come and go from. Do a search and there should be some that come up.. I like the Hostal Plaza Yu (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - Guest house Reviews - TripAdvisor which is in Gazcue and about a 15 minute walk from the Zona.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
By the way, you must be psychic, Rubia; I lived for a few years in Detroit.

I'm a lot of things, mi hijo, a lot of things.:p:p:p

The Zona Colonial is one of those things you "should do" because of all the "firsts", if you have kids then you do other things like the aquarium, Tres Ojos, Jardin Botanico, The Zoo, etc. The Malecon will be enjoyable for you to hang out, I'd imagine.

I've gone on record saying I could die happy if I never set foot back in the capitol, Santo Domingo. But MountainAnnie is right, you can get easily get transportation from there to anywhere else. Stay to tourist areas at night, and it's safe enough.

Just don't forget basic common sense with your money and belongings.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Thank you all for your help.
By the way, single, no kids, not old enough to retire, too old to stay and waste away stateside.
I understand the women are beautiful; where might one mingle without, ummm... making meeting
a business proposition? Yes... I am a bit naive.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
That's cool and everything... even titillating... but I am afraid of working girls (actually, stds) so I probably won't have nearly as much fun as some do. :cry: But, who knows? Maybe my attitude needs a bit of adjusting anyway...