The metro at 3.30pm on a Thursday afternoon

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
9451A35F-311B-40F0-8D9E-F745072B2694-4697-0000040DF0059DB3_zpsc0f3d253.jpg

I now notice the guy with the red shirt is going to kill me f I take an other picture of him...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My only complaint is that the stations don't have airco so your sweating there, waiting on a train. I'm Dutch, so cheap enough to take a carro publico and the metro for 45 pesos to pick up my car that was at a mechanic.

It's obvious that the upper part of the middle class and above wont want to be seen in the metro, but I think they did a good job building it. I hope they'll keep maintaining it, I did see the first signs of deterioration on line 1 and even on line 2.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
My only complaint is that the stations don't have airco so your sweating there, waiting on a train. I'm Dutch, so cheap enough to take a carro publico and the metro for 45 pesos to pick up my car that was at a mechanic.

It's obvious that the upper part of the middle class and above wont want to be seen in the metro, but I think they did a good job building it. I hope they'll keep maintaining it, I did see the first signs of deterioration on line 1 and even on line 2.

I am reminded how editorial writer and author Tom Friedman describes the Aging and antiquated US Airports upon
arriving at JFK after a trip to Asia. In my case I think of how the majority of US cities have dirty old subways
compared to the 3rd world SD Metro.
I ponder While sipping my Jumbo fria from the
cement and zinc roofed lined calle as the gleaming white Metro floats above the Villa Mella barrios...
I ponder just how silly the question; does the metro make money? Seems to me that is not really
The point.

Speaking as one whose countries' electorate is too whimpy to take on big oil and have a truly
invigorated and innovative energy policy that the world is waiting for the US to lead on, I for one am glad that
the Glad handing RD govt spilled $ on something the working class can look up to (no pun intended). Some might say the govt Should have Spent the money on water? luz? Sex Ed? Pet shelters? Yuk yuk ya right. Nope, even symbolic
Stabs at energy and transportation are a good thing...here, or there, or elsewhere. if ya gotta throw money around.

And btw, I have ridden the m dozens of times at all time of day...almost always very busy.
And after all, just imagine the 1000s of trips made by barrio folk on the metro for no reason...1000s of trips a
semester by students heading to that other govt endowment, UASD, only to find yet again their professor decided
not to show up for class because of rain, or strikes, or whatever. At least rain fearing Dominicans can stay dry
on their Educational round trips to nowhere!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
9451A35F-311B-40F0-8D9E-F745072B2694-4697-0000040DF0059DB3_zpsc0f3d253.jpg

I now notice the guy with the red shirt is going to kill me f I take an other picture of him...

Why are you taking pictures of this guy??? I would never start snappin pics of people i dont know, especially while trapped inside a sardine can. Or did you try to do it without him noticing, again, why? lol

Rode the metro once during the book fair and it was bad.. awesome experience but the ride was shoulder to shoulder.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of the nicest things of the Metro is that it proves that Dominicans do have an innate ability to be civil. Down there people comport themselves in ways that you will often wonder if you're still in Dominican Republic. If we could find a way to replicate this at ground level, especially concerning the traffic, that would be a huge leap forward.

The Metro is clean... safe... comfortable... order... efficient... civilized. That's the DR when the conditions exist for the innate civilized manner of every Dominican to come out and shine.

Then you ride the stairs back to ground level and you feel the craziness take over your spirit once again. LOL

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Why are you taking pictures of this guy??? I would never start snappin pics of people i dont know, especially while trapped inside a sardine can. Or did you try to do it without him noticing, again, why? lol

Rode the metro once during the book fair and it was bad.. awesome experience but the ride was shoulder to shoulder.
Yeah I wondered that too when I saw the picture. I just took a quick snapshot having dr1 in mind and the comments of a metro that nobody uses (and also an article in Hoy). Didn't realize it turned out like that. He noticed, I'm sure, while I forgot to switch off the flash...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
My only complaint about the metro is that it stops running too early.

It will be running like this until it gets all trunk lines added. Once that takes place, it will be more practical and safest to have them running 24 hours while clean-up crews go about their biz late night/early morning.

Figure about 8 more years for the next trunk line being added. Then some 4 years after than for the 24/5 circuit.

Weekends are not worth it to run 24 hours. Limited service until late hours alone.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

which is precisely why it will not cut down on traffic congestion, pollution, fuel consumption, or anything. people who are in the economic stratum to afford cars are not going to ride the metro, and have some chopo belching salami gas in his ear.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
which is precisely why it will not cut down on traffic congestion, pollution, fuel consumption, or anything. people who are in the economic stratum to afford cars are not going to ride the metro, and have some chopo belching salami gas in his ear.

A great part of the traffic congestion is caused by public cars and 'voladores'. I might hope their presence will be diminished.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A great part of the traffic congestion is caused by public cars and 'voladores'. I might hope their presence will be diminished.

that is correct, to a degree. anyone outside a half mile catchment will still need transportation to get to the metro.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
that is correct, to a degree. anyone outside a half mile catchment will still need transportation to get to the metro.
Yes, but when the lines parallel to 27 and Luperon are build, I can get where I want a lot quicker (in my car). But I suppose I'll be back in Holland by then.

Aug 19, 2004

Correct - so where are the buses? No city could afford to provide just an underground system alone - you need additional links between and to the stations.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Yes, but when the lines parallel to 27 and Luperon are build, I can get where I want a lot quicker (in my car). But I suppose I'll be back in Holland by then.

DUDE, you're dutch?? Some of my favorite artists are from Holland...

Ok back to topic:

Metro is always full, that's why i don't like taking it at times...