Birth Certificates

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from DR\1 news
Parents dilly-dally in registering babies at birth

A new UNICEF study shows widespread negligence in parents when registering their children at birth. Lack of legal identity is a major problem in the Dominican Republic, where the poor too frequently postpone registering their children. Thousands of children then have difficulties in getting on with their own lives, especially when wanting to continue with high school education.

The sad part of all this is that birth registration can easily be carried out at public hospitals where most children are born in the Dominican Republic. The government gives 30 days for the child to be registered by the father. Afterwards, extensive paperwork is required.

UNICEF representative in the country, Maria Jesus Conde Sabala says that of 80,094 births last year in public health hospitals, only 32,468 children were registered. She said 59% of the parents leave the hospital without bothering to register their children. In Greater Santo Domingo, of 29,566 births, only 11,209 were reported at birth to the civil registry offices set up by the Central Electoral Board (JCE) at the public hospitals.

The study carried out by UNICEF also determined that of the de 80,094 children born in 2012, 11,468 were identified as born to foreign mothers, of which only 1,460, or 13%, were registered in the Foreigners Book (Libro de Extranjeria) available at the JCE offices in the hospitals. This registration is necessary for the children to later obtain legal status in the country and is a requirement of many foreign countries for granting of citizenship.

JCE records show that during 2012 there were 184,019 birth declarations overall. Of these, 65,000 were late declarations, including 6,567 that were issued for children of foreign mothers that were not residents in the country. This includes 6,421 babies born to Haitian mothers, or 97.78%. Other nationalities were US (29), Venezuela (13), Spain (10), Colombia (8) and France (7).

The president of the JCE, Roberto Rosario urged public hospital doctors to encourage their patients to register their children at birth.

Estudio revela 59% de nacidos en el pa?s no tienen actas de nacimientos - ElNacional.com.do

Too many teenage pregnancies

Despite having a Plan to Prevent Teenage Pregnancies in place over two years, the DR continues to be among the five countries with most teenage pregnancies in Latin America and the Caribbean. According to United Nations Population Fund statistics, 22.1% of Dominican teenagers are pregnant or have been pregnant. Of the total, 75% are among the economically poor. Azua (37%), Baoruco (35%) and Santiago (29%) have the highest pregnancy rates. The study showed that 50% of the teenagers do not use any method of birth control.

Rep?blica Dominicana: entre los cinco pa?ses de la regi?n con m?s embarazos en adolescentes - Peri?dico Digital Dominicano - 7d?as.com.do

El 22.1% de las adolescentes dominicanas han estado o est?n embarazadas - listindiario.com

Is this the responsibility of parents in other countries? (do not have kids so do not know how it works) Thought it was the hospital which had to supply the records to the State? Seems like the State is putting too much on pretty overwhelmed and maybe young and ignorant young people when it should be doing more for them?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is this the responsibility of parents in other countries? (do not have kids so do not know how it works) Thought it was the hospital which had to supply the records to the State? Seems like the State is putting too much on pretty overwhelmed and maybe young and ignorant young people when it should be doing more for them?

My children were born in Manhattan and Atlantic City, the hospitals took care of all the paperwork, they brought it to my room after the births, and Mr. AE and I signed them.

Likewise, deaths are reported to the government by hospitals, coroners, etc. in the US.

I've been doing some genealogy research in DR - and it's astonishing how many deaths aren't reported either.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
It's mostly a matter of educating the people of this country on how to do it if the hospitals don't do it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
That is what I thought.,,. It is only up to the parents to pick a name to be registered, right? I remember stories about fights about that. Since the hospital knows how many babies are born, it would seem an easy enough thing to switch it around. But that would be too much like maybe having the State serve the people .. And there is not enough money. They would have to fire a couple of vice ministers in charge of coffee.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I believe a big problem is that the father needs to register the child. And half the time they get the names wrong so sister have the same mom and dad but different last names on paper. Saw this in the campo where the family waited till May 22 to register the kids. This way one birthday party a year.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's like you all never read papers, never look outside the window and have no clue about the country you live in. 59% of all births in public hospitals are never registered. "all births" should give you a clue. haitian parents. they do not register their kids because they cannot. within this number only a small percentage will be children of dominican parents....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The fathers must register the child.There are alot of absent fathers.That explains it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well if it really is the FATHER then I certainly understand the problem.

And the issue is only Haitin mothers.. Dominican Fathers cannot register a birth if the mother is Haitian. There is nBut Haitian fathers can register if the mother is Dominican.. All Haitian mothers are conisidered in transit.. does not matter where the father is from.

link to orginal article did not work. will do a search. thought that I read father had to register but will check.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
i am not going to bother checking since I know the DR1 team is aces in translation.

So WHY would they make it the father's responsibility? When the father's here are so absent?

Does this mean that a woman cannot do it WITHOUT the father?

*Quick, Sancho, get the mule ready, I feel a Quest coming on!

Jul 4, 2010
My daughter Angela is doing an intership at the Hospital Taiwan in Azua as a requirement for graduation in the Instituto Polit?cnico de Azua. She and I both agree that the UNICEF study is a little misleading. The cause of the low rate of birth registration at the local hospitals is the lack of proper identification. A large proportion of mothers do not have a current birth certificate or official id (c?dula), mostly because their own parents did not have ID to register them. Almost 50% of the population does not have birth certificates, and without them you cannot apply for a c?dula. Also, birth certificates need to be updated every six months at a cost to bearers of 200 pesos, whih may not sound much, but is a burden for most poor family budgets. By the way, the mother can register a child without identifying the father, who may later be included in the birth certificate once he recognizes the child as his.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really do not think the father is a must when registering a child. granted, if you register the child and you want it to have father's surname you need both cedulas. but a mother can register a child alone providing that she has a cedula. she says "father unknown" and the child only has mother's surname. probably this is viewed as shameful so the mother prefers not to register the child at all rather than present the whole world with an info she has no idea who impregnated her...

Jul 4, 2010
what does that mean, Mirador, that the birth certificates need to be updated every six months?

Exactly as it sounds. Birth certificates are issued and are only valid for 6 months. Which means that in 6 months time you have to reapply for a new birth certificate and pay 200 pesos, and if you want the birth certificate 'certified', as required for a passport, you have to pay 500 pesos. It's a darn racket!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Who wants to keep doing that every 6 months up until the age of 16 in order to obtain a cedula. It doesn't make sense.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The way it seems to work in my Dominican family is that if you need a birth certificate something, ie school, license, passport, etc., you go to the office that issues them, pay a fee and a few minutes later you leave the office with your certificate which is valid for a certain amount of time after it is issued. You don't need to renew it every 6 months. You only need to get a new one on those relatively rare occasions where one is required.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly, thank you. birth certificates and a variety of other documents are only good for a certain amount of time everywhere in the world. a police check is valid for a short time as well and no one keeps on getting new one unless they need it.

and registering the baby is actually more difficult for the father, he cannot register the baby himself, without presenting documents from the mother. mom, on the other hand, only needs her own cedula and she can register the kid as "hijo natural". job done.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Strange as it sounds every time we need to do something for my son, cedula, school, passport, we always have to get a "updated" birth certificate. I have had the same birth certificate (and 10 copies) for years and not once have I ever been told I need a "new one" when using it for anything that required a birth certificate.