1st time in Samana

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
A friend of mine is thinking of going to Samana for the 1st time but doesn't know where to stay. I've never been to Samana therefore I could not make any suggestion. I pulled the http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf link but that as far as I went. Does any one have solid on the ground first hand experience with all inclusive resorts or otherwise? Suggestions?

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I didnt stay at AI.. but I stayed in Las Terrenas.. Its a nice and quiet place on the beach.. Its a short drive to Salto Limon and also Playa Rincon and Las Galleras is not too far away. But it depends of what your friend likes? more local or IA? Does he like to go out on his own or with a tour?

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
I didnt stay at AI.. but I stayed in Las Terrenas.. Its a nice and quiet place on the beach.. Its a short drive to Salto Limon and also Playa Rincon and Las Galleras is not too far away. But it depends of what your friend likes? more local or IA? Does he like to go out on his own or with a tour?

Thx Curacaoleno. She likes AI and tours. Not too local but kind of local flavor, good food, not too much of a drinker and most important safe.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
guide took a long time to download.. but.. the only A! on the Atlantic coast is Gran Bahia Pincipe, I think. The beach is samll and full of sandflies.. Have not been since place was taken over and tripled in size and price. Have not heard happy reports from tourists staying there. Better try the A1s on the Samana side. Side trips to Las Galersa snd playa rincon. ny 2 cents

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
guide took a long time to download.. but.. the only A! on the Atlantic coast is Gran Bahia Pincipe, I think. The beach is samll and full of sandflies.. Have not been since place was taken over and tripled in size and price. Have not heard happy reports from tourists staying there. Better try the A1s on the Samana side. Side trips to Las Galersa snd playa rincon. ny 2 cents

Thank you mountainannie. Good info

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
... on the Atlantic coast is Gran Bahia Pincipe, I think. The beach is samll and full of sandflies.. Have not been since place was taken over ....

@mountainannie: Do you talk about "El Portillo"? It is the only GBP on Atlantic coast... Since the hotel was taken over in 2006 things changed a bit :cheeky:

@pgolivares: From GBP El Portillo you can walk along the beach to Las Terrenas, from one end to the other you are busy for some hours :laugh: If you like long beaches the "El Portillo" might be your best all-in choice on Samana, I spent several holidays there and really enjoyed them. Sandflies were no problem, maybe chemicals are used against ? My favourite beaches near Las Terrenas were Playa Bonita/Playa Coson.

Another all-in-resort I like is the Grand Paradise Samana at Las Galeras. It is very familar, not at the same star-level as GBP El Portillo, but it is a perfect place from where to explore many of Samana?s highlights.

The most luxury a.i. hotel is said to be GBP Cayo Levantado, I?ll test it in Feb 2014 :bunny:

Hope I could help you
Saludos

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I would stay in Las Terrenas. Unfortunately as said in an earlier thread, Bahia Principe is the only all inclus. in the area. The city of Samana itself does not have a lot to offer. It is a nice place to go for a day trip but not a week. Las Galeras is very isolated at the very end of the peninsula. There are many reviews of Grand Bahia Principe. Go on line and check them out. In Las
Terrenas there is a wide choice of restaurants so you might want to consider a hotel and do meals individually.

LTSteve

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Thanks again all for the feedback. The "stay at a hotel and get my own food" option sounds like the one I'm going to go with. It gives me the option of exploring the area and finding out on my own where is the best place to eat and also gives me the freedom to eat when I want to and what I want.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Add to Playa Colibri, Hotel Alisei 2 doors away. Not stayed there myself 'cos i live here but my daughter has twice, she + husband + two daughters loved it. I have visited and was impressed, you can eat there or elsewhere as you wish. We went there for late afternoon puddings 4 days ago - good.

I've been twice this year. 1st Safety - IMHO is not an issue, but I'm a guy. I've never had a problem in DR in my many trips. LT is the place to go. Playa is awesome, food is good as well.

I've stayed here Charming Hotel La Tortuga - Las Terrenas - Dominican Republic

and I will be going back.

Best bet is to rent a car as taxi costs to & from AZS - Samana Aeroporto cost about the same.

Hotel Alisei is on the playa and my buddy is heading there in a month.

Oh and don't change $ at aeroporto, u will get a better rate from hotel owners or cambio shacks

Sep 4, 2012
No need for an AI if staying in LT. Hotel Las Ballenas in LT is a good place right on the beach and close by to the commerce and restaurants.

Aug 19, 2004
"Not too local but kind of local flavour" - What does that mean - you expect to be served by the locals but start complaining if they had the nerve to stay in same hotel?

LT is over developed these days - the centre of LT is constant noise - there are better places to stay eg Playa Bonita or Las Galeras.

LT is over developed these days - the centre of LT is constant noise - there are better places to stay eg Playa Bonita or Las Galeras.

While I'll agree that the main calle's into LT are busy & noisy, I'm going to venture a guess and say NO Tourist stay on those roads.

Most of the hotels are near the playa. And that area is fine + the playa is beautiful.

As stated I've been there twice in 2013 & most likely will be back this year, if not next. Friends are going in a month.