Move is now Official!

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Well our move to the DR is now official. We booked our flights and will be arriving in Puerto plata on Dec 1st. So I have two things I need to ask:

First, Does anyone know of a decent Apart-hotel in POP city itself? Or a good short term rental also in POP while we look for a more permanent rental? It is myself, my wife and two kids 2.5yrs and 6 months. We are thinking for the first month or so. We are ok with tighter quarters for the first little bit but ideally a 1 or two bedroom (or more) would be what we are eventually looking for. We would like to stay in POP city as we think that is where we will likely want to end up staying. Sosua and Costambr or further at this point dont feel right for us. But we will see.

Second, how much is a taxi from the POP airport to POP city for a family our size plus say 6-8 pieces of luggage of varying size?

Thank all see you soon!

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Welcome!! Must be excited.We leave end of August..I will search through my files as there was a guy named Jeremy and his wife that rent apartments(fully equipped) short & long term)close to everything with pool.
Are you coming to R.D to work?? or retire? Do you plan on a vehicle? there are some units in Playa Dorada that rent short term I can put you in contact with someone..Private message me if you want more details.

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
We are very excited. Check my intro post to find out more of what we plan on doing when there. Not planning on working, sort of early retirement, mainly just planning to be... and see what happens. We're not thinking of getting a vehicle right away but maybe after settling in. Not sure about the Playa Dorada area as we are both well traveled people who speak spanish fluently, we prefer to be a bit further from the tourist areas and more in what would be considered safer local areas. However all leads will help us to narrow it down. Thanks I will PM you for details.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
Why on earth are you bringing children to this country????????????

"University" students here do not know how to use an calculator FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Totally stark raving mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Why on earth are you bringing children to this country????????????

"University" students here do not know how to use an calculator FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Totally stark raving mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure who you think you are but I was asking advice on a place to live for the short term not on how to raise my children. As for a response to that I'll just ignore your comment and leave it open to the many others on this forum who have children here already or who have gone to school here to respond. "Intelligence and character, that is the goal of education. " -Dr Martin Luther King Jr. I see it as my responsibility to educate my children in more than just the ability to use a calculator I believe that being exposed to the realities and cultures of this world should also weigh heavily in their education.

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Back to the original topic. Thanks all for the leads so far and I am currently looking into them. Anyone else with any different ideas on our transition month. Places to stay, Hotels, short terms, advice in general about our move or maybe how we could do it differently.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you want the best school on the NC you may have to reconsider sosua. i believe the international school (or whatever it is called) is not bad. in POP there is a private school right in the city center, god help me, i cannot remember the name, only that it costs something like 50k pesos a year, not very cheap. but it's bilingual so a good start for kids. not that you have to think about it just yet :)

in terms of location in POP you will have to consider few facts. the city center is noisy but everything is within walking distance. better residential areas may require a car, especially seeing that you have two small kids and i am sure any outing with them requires bags with nappies, milk, toys and god knows else, a truckload full of things.