Refrigerator Repair

May 29, 2006
If the freezer is working, but not the fridge, then the fan between the two is either blocked with ice or has failed. Defrost thoroughly(since the ice blockage won't be visible) and try again. Most fans are installed with automotive-type plugs so if they fail, they can be easily replace once you remove the access panel. If you can get the old one out(to get the right replacement), you can get the new one in. My dad has been a landlord for 40 years and most of the time when we've had a fridge fail, it was because it needed to be defrosted.

If the fridge isn't working at all and you need a compressor or there is a leak, the odds are it won't be worth fixing, unless it's a very expensive fridge. If it's partially working but not staying at temp, then the compressor prob needs more coolant, which isn't a huge repair.

Some fridges will fail when the relay switch "arcs out." There are two contacts that turn the compressor on when triggered by the thermostat that are close to each other and in humid conditions they can partially arc which burns out the contacts. But this is less likely in a home fridge.

Any local bar or restaurant will know someone who can do the repairs. Commercial units fail frequently. Anyone who works with AC will also do fridge work. In the US, it typically runs $80-$100 for a service call plus parts.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I use Ignacio Medrano. He's not in Sosua but in Veragua, which is a few miles away (the other side of Cabarete), but he has been good and reliable for me. If you don't find anyone more local, his number is 809 876 4274.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
In the US, it typically runs $80-$100 for a service call plus parts.

In my experience, if you start comparing service charges with what you pay in the US/Europe, you will end up paying more than you should. It should be considerably cheaper here.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Anyone who has a bit of time on their hands have a look on youtube for easy instructions on the causes of the problem , I have a GE Profile which was not freezing intermittently, I looked the info as stated, got the part ref numbers and watched the 15 min
repair video, picked up the defrost stat and temp sensor installed as per the video and have a fully back to normal fridge freezer for 880 pesos. Worth the look.

Feb 15, 2005
Try Freddies on the highway opposite Supermercado Sosua or call Rafael Castillo 809 8992047

Black Dog , I just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. Mr. Castillo turned out to be excellent. Also after taking a look at our stove he recommended that we change it due to some issues, which he did not think was repairable. Which is appreciated.

So I'm at a point where I'm considering a pre-owned stove in good condition.

Anyways, thanks a bunch.