I,m New Too...so this is the D.R.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Thought I should introduce myself as I have already started joining in on the forum.
Having dismissed Phuket as a possible place to live....enormous rat problem, mega increase in tourist scamming and a 1000 percent corruption....I arrived here!!!!!
O.K. so I am lucky as my bro. lives and works here and I was lured by the thought of having a cleaner and dishwasher....unfortunately my bro. has developed a "relationship" with the cleaner and we cant use the dishwasher cos all our pipes seem to leak....but hey at least its always hot.
Having never been here before I probably just took a leap of faith!!!!!
First impressions????
Blond is a bad hair colour
Motoconcho drivers are (I,ll keep this clean) far too expensive.
Sankys are by far the least attractive guys around....plus no way am I ever going to "keep" a man.
Mozzys luv English birds.
I would luv to hear your hints and tips on how to get rid of "personal Shoppers

Welcome to the DR and DR1!
I have to disagree the guys who I think are sankies are damn fine looking but maybe I don't know what a true sankie looks like? Are they equal to the sosua hooker look?
Funny I find the women here not attractive and most the men good looking and I am into women!

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Thought I should introduce myself as I have already started joining in on the forum.
Having dismissed Phuket as a possible place to live....enormous rat problem, mega increase in tourist scamming and a 1000 percent corruption....I arrived here!!!!!

All of the things you mention about Phuket you will also find in the DR. The third world is the third world. There are plenty of tourist scams here and I had the unwanted company of a large rat in the last apartment I lived in here, and it was a really nice apartment to! The rat enjoyed running on the cabinets and hopping on the stove, one night I was reading and it decided to walk into my room and I saw it on the floor, another night I chased it out of my apartment. The apartment also had big cockroaches to, I killed a bunch of them! And this was a nice place to. As far as corruption, have you researched the DR's ranking on the corruption index? This country is extremely corrupt.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
All of the things you mention about Phuket you will also find in the DR. The third world is the third world. There are plenty of tourist scams here and I had the unwanted company of a large rat in the last apartment I lived in here, and it was a really nice apartment to! The rat enjoyed running on the cabinets and hopping on the stove, one night I was reading and it decided to walk into my room and I saw it on the floor, another night I chased it out of my apartment. The apartment also had big cockroaches to, I killed a bunch of them! And this was a nice place to. As far as corruption, have you researched the DR's ranking on the corruption index? This country is extremely corrupt.

There are many good companies here that can fumigate. If you live in an apartment building, the administration should hire one of these. The fumigation is especially important to eliminate cockroaches, but for that cleanliness is also key. Ask the administration of the building if they fumigate, and if not, start motivating the neighbors to get them to start.

For the rats, aside from professional assistance, there is also another simple remedy that is sustainable and low cost. In our building we took in a stray cat. The cat's food is part of the administrative costs of the building, because she is employed to keep the rats away. She does a good job.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've had quite a few rats make camp at my condo. I live on the first floor. That's part of the problem. They can just walk right in the front door or the balcony door and make camp. I like keeping the doors open during the day so that the ocean breeze can flow through the condo--keeping the mold in check.

Anyway, I had a large uninvited guest in my condo last year. This uninvited rat enjoyed running around the condo at night and using it as is own personal playground. The first thing i learned about rats is this: They can jump! He had a standing vertical jump of about 4ft. He would stand at the bottom of my stove and get into a 45 degree squat--just like cats do--and then take a vertical flying leap and land right on top of the stove. It was amazing. I tried contacting the NBA.

Once on the stove, he took to camping out in the cabinets and filling himself up on cereal, baking flour, catnip and Cheetos. Then he would take a nap on the baking flour, and then emerge after his nap covered in white looking cocaine powder around his eyes and mouth. He would then hop back down onto the stove, then onto the sofa where he took another nap, and then he went into his secret hiding place which was underneath the sofa but somewhere inside the seat cushions.

One night I came home from work with a street cat that we keep at work; this cat keeps the rats and mice in check! He was the real deal. I released him and went back to work. Eight hour later i returned to a horror show.

It was something out of a science fiction movie. I walked into the kitchen and saw on the floor, the cat and the rat playing with each other. No really. they were taking turns chasing each other back and forth. They were best friends. It wasn't long before they were actually sharing the sofa together. It was straight out of a horror film.

What could i do? I put a do not disturb sign on the kitchen door, shut it, and went to bed.

True story.

Frank

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
There are many good companies here that can fumigate. If you live in an apartment building, the administration should hire one of these. The fumigation is especially important to eliminate cockroaches, but for that cleanliness is also key. Ask the administration of the building if they fumigate, and if not, start motivating the neighbors to get them to start.

For the rats, aside from professional assistance, there is also another simple remedy that is sustainable and low cost. In our building we took in a stray cat. The cat's food is part of the administrative costs of the building, because she is employed to keep the rats away. She does a good job.

I considered asking the land lord if I could get a cat, but I believe they have a "no pets" allowed policy, though I already had a bunch of unwanted pets! In the short time I've been in the DR, I've seen many types of "wildlife" in my apartment. In addition to the rats and cockroaches, I also saw mice(Rat's little cousins), a frog(which I captured and put outside), lizards that like climbing on the walls, centipedes, and, spiders, and most annoying of all, little sugar ants that seem to get into EVERYTHING.

I learned the hard way not to leave unopened cereal boxes in the cabinets. The sugar ants here love cereal, they gobble up anything with sugar in it. Dominican sugar ants are also fond of bread, which I found out the hard way one day when making a sandwich. One day I had to return to the supermercado because las hormigas got into my cereal and ruined. I learned that day to always keep cereal in the fridge, and anything else that is sweet. The only thing I didn't see in my apartment was a Hutia.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I've had quite a few rats make camp at my condo. I live on the first floor. That's part of the problem. They can just walk right in the front door or the balcony door and make camp. I like keeping the doors open during the day so that the ocean breeze can flow through the condo--keeping the mold in check.

Anyway, I had a large uninvited guest in my condo last year. This uninvited rat enjoyed running around the condo at night and using it as is own personal playground. The first thing i learned about rats is this: They can jump! He had a standing vertical jump of about 4ft. He would stand at the bottom of my stove and get into a 45 degree squat--just like cats do--and then take a vertical flying leap and land right on top of the stove. It was amazing. I tried contacting the NBA.

Once on the stove, he took to camping out in the cabinets and filling himself up on cereal, baking flour, catnip and Cheetos. Then he would take a nap on the baking flour, and then emerge after his nap covered in white looking cocaine powder around his eyes and mouth. He would then hop back down onto the stove, then onto the sofa where he took another nap, and then he went into his secret hiding place which was underneath the sofa but somewhere inside the seat cushions.

One night I came home from work with a street cat that we keep at work; this cat keeps the rats and mice in check! He was the real deal. I released him and went back to work. Eight hour later i returned to a horror show.

It was something out of a science fiction movie. I walked into the kitchen and saw on the floor, the cat and the rat playing with each other. No really. they were taking turns chasing each other back and forth. They were best friends. It wasn't long before they were actually sharing the sofa together. It was straight out of a horror film.

What could i do? I put a do not disturb sign on the kitchen door, shut it, and went to bed.

True story.

Frank

My solution to the problem was to move into a new apartment. The apartment is in the same complex, but it has no rats or cockroaches. My theory is simply that this newer, smaller apartment has no "entry points" these critters can use for entry. There is only one main door and it is sealed near the bottom so no rats could get in. The apartment is more affordable to. I don't know if relocating would be an option for you but that is what I would do if the landlord wouldn't solve the problem.

Frank, my advice is to "lean" on the landlord. Let them know, politely as you can, that you adore your apartment but you may have no choice to leave due to the rat problem. I don't know about where you live, but where I live there are number of vacant apartments because the economy is slow and less people are vacationing here. My landlord knows I'm here for the long term so he doesn't want to lose me(my money) as a tenant. So he has been very good about helping me solve various problems. If your landlord is good he/she will to.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
When i used to live in a penthouse in santiago, the building next to me had a crack in it. And bats used to live in this big crack , i had to kill a bat everymonth.

( building next to mine was cheaper place so owner didnt give a rats a$$)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No. Say it isn't so. I can deal with an occasional mouse. Rats! Forget it.

The first time I saw rats running along the wall at the rear of my mother-in-law's house, I thought they were CATS because they were so big. The house is in what is now a commercial area, and the two houses next to it were torn down to build a restaurant with off-street parking. That'll do it.

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
I shouldn't have read this thread. I am totally freaked out and did I mention that I am totally freaked out?

xo

When i used to live in a penthouse in santiago, the building next to me had a crack in it. And bats used to live in this big crack , i had to kill a bat everymonth.

I see bats all the time flying about while in my pool, i am just freaking about the time when they come in our second floor by accident. I can finally deal with cockroaches....but bats.....AHHHHHHHH

I see bats all the time flying about while in my pool, i am just freaking about the time when they come in our second floor by accident. I can finally deal with cockroaches....but bats.....AHHHHHHHH