Santiago Catholic Churchs

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Hi Everyone, looking for some information about the cathedral, or other Catholic churches in Santiago. I'm
Interested in mass schedules, and any traditions that a gringo should be aware of? Does one "dress up" if
attending mass?

I'll be staying at the Hotel Colonial for several days. Any other suggestions for great restaurants, clubs, or
art galleries would be appreciated.

Thanks all - looking forward to my return!

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
There is a catholic church in los cerros, a nice neighbourhood,( upper-midclass), when you take a right at the corner of the Trebol supermarked comming from hache on the AV. barthole colon. next corner you will see the big curch. Mass is at 10 am on sunday and is like 45 mins if i remember correctly.

There is another one ( never been there but walked pas it alot) near plaza international. Comming from the paza its 2 blocks down on corner right in a sidesteet of the av. Duarte

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
The curch in los cerros you have to go well dressed, dont smoke and dont have tatoes, beside that its pretty much the same as your regular (european) catolic mass

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That church is called San Ramon Nonato. It is probably in one of the wealthiest areas in Santiago. The priest name is Father Miguel Marte and is a friend of mine.

As far as the dress goes, Jesus will take you as you are, preferably with clean clothes though.:)

There is also the cathedral downtown not far from the Hotel Colonial. I think this would be a good option.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Cathedral just a few blocks up 30 de Marzo. Dress for you should include shoes and socks, long pants, polo or collarded shirt.
Santa Ana, San Jos? and other churches are not far away.

Go to Centro Le?n for a good look at Dominican art, it's worth the RD$100 peso entry fee and the cafeter?a is tops.

And let me say that they will be closed for a while this summer, so it depends on when you will be here.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not focus on clothing, if i were you. i have only been to the church on the account of deaths and weddings and it's almost anything goes. i have seen positively whorish outfits with leopard print and sequins. i have seen short dresses, sleeveless tops and so on. i suppose everyone wears what they consider their sunday best. or what they can afford. does not mean you have to show up in a wife beater and shorts, unless you have nothing else to wear. what would you wear to church where you come from, on a hot summer day? wear the same stuff here.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
U should try sunday mass @ PUCMM (11 a.m till 12 p.m) with Agripino, very good church with a/c, (upper middle class crowd, so you might want to dress casual chic, lol)

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The majority of Catholic churches here in Santiago have a dress code. Normally people attending mass dress in appropriate clothing not what you describe ie long pants and dress shirt/polo. An absolute no no is to turn up in shorts!!!!

The OP is in Santiago not Puerta Plata so he should follow advice from those of us who actually live in Santiago.

i would not focus on clothing, if i were you. i have only been to the church on the account of deaths and weddings and it's almost anything goes. i have seen positively whorish outfits with leopard print and sequins. i have seen short dresses, sleeveless tops and so on. i suppose everyone wears what they consider their sunday best. or what they can afford. does not mean you have to show up in a wife beater and shorts, unless you have nothing else to wear. what would you wear to church where you come from, on a hot summer day? wear the same stuff here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The majority of Catholic churches here in Santiago have a dress code. Normally people attending mass dress in appropriate clothing not what you describe ie long pants and dress shirt/polo. An absolute no no is to turn up in shorts!!!!
The OP is in Santiago not Puerta Plata so he should follow advice from those of us who actually live in Santiago.

another etiquette freak. really, like it matters what you're wearing when you praise the lord. poor person is not going to get miraculously richer just because they came to santiago. maybe you go to church with other uptights like yourself. all i say is that dominicans do not care, because the point of being in church is to pray. you can pray in shorts just as well as when wearing long pants.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if he lived in santiago he'd be wearing long pants, chacabanas and white tennis shoes...

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I lived in los cerros de gurabo in santiago, jeans and mocachinos but no tennis shoes for iglesia san ramon i believe ( a no go for the people i know) :) but hey nobodys gunna be mad or something but you dont wanna be Underdressed but

at centro espanol ( popular country club in santiago) its a standard, i have to take my piercing out or i cant go in, cant swim there because i have a tatoe, but its a nice place . I had to do an interview to obtain my membership.

Its a magic land with no poverty.
Refering to centro espa?ol. They have peacocks running free , a crocodile , difrent kinds of birds and lissards, tennis courts , football fields , baseball , basketball, pools , biljard, everything you want to do. Restaurants,....

I used to go there every sunday :) love the steak overthere. And if you go to the restaurant i advise wear something warm because it is freazing over there at the reastaurant ( smaller one ),

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
And no , no shorts in santiago please, :) unles you go to gym or something. People who actualy work in a city as big as santiago wear long formal pants. They all try to be uber chique like in a way we dont realy mind anymore down in europe.

But again nobody is realy going to mind if you wear flops and a wifebeater unless you go inside a bank/country club, disco,etc

I learned after i got denied entrance a couple of times :) got to fit in

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And no , no shorts in santiago please, :) unles you go to gym or something. People who actualy work in a city as big as santiago wear long formal pants. They all try to be uber chique like in a way we dont realy mind anymore down in europe.

But again nobody is realy going to mind if you wear flops and a wifebeater unless you go inside a bank/country club, disco,etc

I learned after i got denied entrance a couple of times :) got to fit in

So glad I don't live there. Sounds like a very materialistic environment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case"

Wrong again, Buddy. You like being wrong? Making assumptions?

Did I say there is something noble about wearing shorts in Santiago? No, I did not.
I simply cannot wear long pants in this kind of weather.

I will let you decide if those that wear fancy clothes where you live would feel superior to me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Originally Posted by windeguy
Did I say there is something noble about wearing shorts in Santiago? No, I did not.
You implied it is less materialistic.
Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
Sounds like a very materialistic environment.
Pot meet kettle.

CHIP, Buddy. The subtleties of the English language are lost upon you. When someone says something that is in fact true, like Dominicans are materialistic, it is not the pot calling the kettle black, it is simply a true statement. I, like you, also live with Dominicans and have for 10 years.

Remember, I am not the one who posted a picture of himself thinking he blended in with his classmates while sticking out like a sore thumb.