Best place for 1st time visitor

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
People on this forum have been very helpful. So, before I "pull the trigger", one last inquiry.

Your opinion: Best place to land for 1st time visitor.

Interests: peace, landscapes, women, people who don't mind an artist sitting around drawing sh#t, or making photographs, good food, and sublime coffee.

Wishing to avoid: drama of any kind, machete wielding crack heads, gun toting juveniles, pit bulls, and cockroaches.

Thanks to all who will respond. If I don't get outta here in the next few days, my head will fall off.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A quick answer because I don't want to think about your head falling off. For peace, landscapes etc, I would say Jarabacoa/Costanza.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
A quick answer because I don't want to think about your head falling off. For peace, landscapes etc, I would say Jarabacoa/Costanza.

They have good restaurants as well. Even a coffee plantation/factory which you can visit! Very laidback place where you can chat with like everyone (waitresses, people from the hotel etc). Next to the Bus station is a good place for breakfast and coffee. Take a motoconcho for some rides..

Very safe as wel.. didnt see any hookers or scary people really.. did meet some nice women :)

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Sounds good, but will I get to see the putas? ( otherwise, wouldn't it be a bit like going to Disneyland without seeing Mickey?) :)

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Sounds good, but will I get to see the putas? ( otherwise, wouldn't it be a bit like going to Disneyland without seeing Mickey?) :)

I dont think you gonna see them there.. Its a small town so local girls probably dont want to be known there as a working girl.. If you want to see putas why dont you spent some days in Santo Domingo.. (Zona Colonial is very nice).

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There are whores in Jarabacoa, you just have to be a little less obvious about it. Infact there is everything that is everywhere else in Jarabacoa, again just be quiet about it. The problem being in Jarabacoa is you HAVE to have wheels, taxis are expensive.

Besides that is Jarabacoa representative of the country typically? It certainly doesn't have the Caribbean feel you will experience on the coast, I'm not ever sure it's a great place for an artist unless landscapes are his thing. I wouldn't feel like I'd had a vacation away from it if I o ly visited Jarabacoa.

Santo domingo, no way, I never know why people come here on vacation, to see the interests takes a day and then you get bored. Even finding decent girls is not easy if you don't know your way around and there are no others to watch your back once out of ZC.

If I were the OP I'd stick to north coast all the way, it has a vacation vibe, girls, beauty, others to watch your back and is very easy to navigate. Punta cana is out although I do vacation there, but I love being in A/I away from the BS, as few Doms as possible and the feeling that I could be anywhere else but here, but that's just me.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
People on this forum have been very helpful. So, before I "pull the trigger", one last inquiry.

Your opinion: Best place to land for 1st time visitor.

Interests: peace, landscapes, women, people who don't mind an artist sitting around drawing sh#t, or making photographs, good food, and sublime coffee.

Wishing to avoid: drama of any kind, machete wielding crack heads, gun toting juveniles, pit bulls, and cockroaches.

Thanks to all who will respond. If I don't get outta here in the next few days, my head will fall off.

Boca Chica,

Hands down......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vYsKCj0FQTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
If I were the OP I'd stick to north coast all the way, it has a vacation vibe, girls, beauty, others to watch your back and is very easy to navigate. Punta cana is out although I do vacation there, but I love being in A/I away from the BS, as few Doms as possible and the feeling that I could be anywhere else but here, but that's just me.

Very informative... but can you be more specific? The north coast is a big place. City's/areas?
With my luck, I'd probably try to pick the worst place on the coast, if left t omy own devices...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Very informative... but can you be more specific? The north coast is a big place. City's/areas?
Oh, and for some reason, the system won't let me "like" your posts. Maybe I've worn the "like' button out. :)

I like the Sosua to Cabarete stretch, living between the two can be a decent balance, get bored with Cabarete go and live in Sosua for a while, Sosua gets a bit wild or annoying for you then go and chill out in Cabarete. I understand it has all changed quite a bit since I was over that side, one of the residents will be able to update you more accurately on how things are these days. If you get a vehicle then using the whole north coast is very doable and preferable, but without you are probably slightly more limited, the Northcoast isn't big if you have transport.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Is this a move or a holiday? how long? what budget and do you want to be near beaches?
Good question.
Call it a recon mission. I am looking for a place to live outside the country for a while. (tired of women that are more like men with vaginas, tired of the rat race, a.k.a. corporate slavery, tired of the gun culture.) So, of course I am not making plans to stay permanently. I am trying to identify places with a lower cost of living than the North America (I don't need no stinkin' cable), and where one can be more of his own person. Perhaps this is not the place for that... I am sure I will be told when others read this thread... :) But I won't know til I see, and I have a few countries in mind.

Don't need to be in beaches... not quite in the best shape for the beach right now. ;) I figure I will stay for 2 wks or so... leave if it sucks, maybe stay a little longer if it's nice. As for budjet, I am not trying to go in style; don't need the best hotel, don't care for expensive meals out, and I enjoy a decent bottle of wine now and again. What would one need to live like and artist (clean, small space in relatively safe area with a kitchen)?

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Hey Explorer1, if you're a first time visitor, hold on to your horses! Not that I'm any kind of expert....but in travels I could
recommend a few things. Not to take away from the above posts, which sound cool. I've not been to Jarabacoa but have
always heard it's great.

From your above description, I would easily suggest the north coast. Cabarete in particular has everything you're looking for.
Lots of artists, expats, great inexpensive hotels, restaurants and ladies of easy virtue cruising the bars. Very little drama unless
you create it. Cruising back and forth along the north coast is easy and cheap. Ride the guagua to Rio San Juan and have
an awesome lunch on the beach. Great photo opps in that tiny fishing village.

I would suggest asking permission before taking any pictures of Dominicans. Where will you be arriving in the DR? From
Santiago there is a beautiful mountain drive via Moca to Cabarete.

Use your common sense and good manners and you will have not problem! Let us know your progress.

Neural

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I spent the last weekend in cabarete bouncing to Sosua. I agree your fit will be one of these, try both. Sosua has the cheaper accommodation's and girls are more plentiful