why so expensive?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hello.
How come I can get a vacation pkg to Costa Rica for about $300 less than DR from the midwest, USA?

Also...what is the best city to fly into from the States, SD or POP? (In terms of proximity to places to overnight, ease of getting a taxi, etc.)

Last edited:

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Hello.
How come I can get a vacation pkg to Costa Rica for about $300 less than DR from the midwest, USA?

Also...what is the best city to fly into from the States, SD or POP? (In terms of proximity to places to overnight, ease of getting a taxi, etc.)

It's been my observation that a lot of it has to do with time of the year...for instance, my AI package to POP cost about $537 per...that includes airfare, food, booze, and accomodations. Upon purchase they designated it as "Thanksgiving Push". That same packge is now listed as $750.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Hello.
This is speculation on my part, but if you are trying to go to CR during their rainy season that could be one reason CR is lower. Also, DR taxes are higher.

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Met with some Canadian TTOO's last week in Punta Cana and they mentioned that airport taxes are what really kills the packages. The best option is to reserve last minute when the airlines are cutting their losses.

Aug 6, 2006
Costa Rica is beautiful, but you do NOT want to be in the San Jos? area in August. There is a reason why they call CR a rain forest. I was there in August and it rained so hard that I could not see more than half a block.

If you like beaches and not being rained on, try Las Terrenas or Rio San Juan. Always check weather before traveling in the tropics.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
All Delusive resorts in the DR, esp. the POP area are not high quality properties.
The food sucks, loaded with loud, dirty, obnoxious Dominicanos on cheap weekend "Day Passes".
You will see!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I just looked at the fare break down on the most recent ticket I bought between Boston (not a cheap city) and Santo Domingo. It is broken down into three sections. The airline fare, the U.S. taxes and airport fees, and the D.R. taxes and airport fees. The D.R. taxes and fees add up to U$ 8.60 more than the airline fare. That doesn't include the "Tourist Card" you have to buy in order to get through immigration.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
All Delusive resorts in the DR, esp. the POP area are not high quality properties.
The food sucks, loaded with loud, dirty, obnoxious Dominicanos on cheap weekend "Day Passes".
You will see!
If you got a better suggestion, I am all ears. Seriously.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You will see!

I agree with this assessment , except I just finished 5 days at Lifestyle Vacations in Cabrera. Lots of Dominican, lots of Americans, and there were a lot of people having fun but no obnoxious and loud Dominican that I notice, and yes, I notice and so does my wife.

NaguaRick

Jun 26, 2013
Stay away from all inclusives especially in the SD area. I travel to the DR every month and I have only stayed at all inclusives 2 times in my history. I stayed at a hotel in Nagua called the Mar y Sol for $45 a night and it rocked. Our front door and balcony opened up to a private beach and the beach was no more 20 feet from our room. The facility was not 5 star but the owners are now our friends and service was exceptional. I am leaving for Punta Cana in less than 2 weeks and going to Santo Domingo colonial zone in September. Then back to Nagua in October.

Dec 26, 2011
I stayed at a hotel in Nagua called the Mar y Sol for $45 a night and it rocked. Our front door and balcony opened up to a private beach and the beach was no more 20 feet from our room. The facility was not 5 star but the owners are now our friends and service was exceptional.

Thanks for the recommendation. I love that area.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Explorer, I believe you just want a Base-of-Operations for a few days, is that right?
If that is the case, an "AI" can be an inexpensive place to start.
Just get ready to eat chicken and "Pasta 24/7.
"Suck It Up", for the short time you are there, and see what else is available.
Most of us who now live in the DR, started out in an "AI"!
We now pretty much HATE them, because we now know so many much better places to stay.
I STILL stay at a few "AI's", but ONLY if they have a "VIP" area, and someone else pays!
You can rent inexpensive condos with a kitchen, and a pool area for a week, a month, or however long you need.
Check out the DR1 classified rental listings.
I am always pleasantly surprised at how many, how cheap, yet lovely, the condos are.
If you find something that looks good to you, come back on DR1 and see if anyone is familiar with that property!
Now, STOP Sighing"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC