Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sosua News On Passions Closing

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua News On Passions Closing

But first, I flew in to POP today on AA and was picked up by a taxi driver I use. I asked him what happened in Sosua during the 6 weeks I was in the US and he replied not much, except some bars were closed. He seemed pleased about that. I asked him whether the Dominican residents were pleased with the changes the new mayor is making or attempting to make. He said they were very supportive.

From the Sosua News:

By order of justice of Puerto Plata the nightclub Passion's Bar located in the main street Pedro Clisante has been closed indefinitely.

During the raid the police encountered, as they announced, 32 girls who were forced to offer sexual services. The police freed them from their precarious situation, as informed the police. In the raid they confiscated sums of money, mobile phones, documents, contracts and cameras. Furthermore, there were condoms and uniforms found. The owner and his assistant manager are taken into custody. It is said that this raid followed on resent closure of 16 massage parlors. All part of the big plan to improve Sos˙a for tourism.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Rescue the girls???!!! LMFAO!!! so whats next??? Rescue all the girls on d"latino and the other joints? what about all the other chicas walking up and down Pedro Clisante street???... give me a freaking break....those girls know what time it is... they are sex workers!!... what do they think sosua is?.... disneyland?... please, how stupid and short sighted... Sosua is know for what it is, and for what it will always be... the Thailand of the caribbean. plain and simple.
    The economy of Sosua will crumble when those guys don't come down to spend money... The chicas probably support many famili menbers with their earnings....
    sosua wont turn into The Hamptons regardless of whatever this Tourism director does. He is playing with fire and will get burned badly...

3. Likes Seamonkey, pauleast, Tor, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oceanspear View Post
    Rescue the girls???!!! LMFAO!!! so whats next??? Rescue all the girls on d"latino and the other joints? what about all the other chicas walking up and down Pedro Clisante street???... give me a freaking break....those girls know what time it is... they are sex workers!!... what do they think sosua is?.... disneyland?... please, how stupid and short sighted... Sosua is know for what it is, and for what it will always be... the Thailand of the caribbean. plain and simple.
    The economy of Sosua will crumble when those guys don't come down to spend money... The chicas probably support many famili menbers with their earnings....
    sosua wont turn into The Hamptons regardless of whatever this Tourism director does. He is playing with fire and will get burned badly...
    Agreed! I don't participate in the Sosua Magic however I always look closely at good opportunities. A property in Sosua that was very undervalued came my way and the due diligence proved this. The deal breaker? I don't like not knowing what could come of an area that has such an uncertain future. I agree the island has many better options for a beach holiday!
    Conclusion I had an investment group ready to move on the property and I have insisted that we pullback for now. Will this new effort have consequences? certainly! In SD these same areas from what I hear are in dire straits as well. What will come of all these sex workers as their customer base drops substantially? Who will support them and their families? Its a tough fix either way....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oceanspear View Post
    right on, spear. to hear some guys in this forum tell it, prostitution accounts for less than .1% of tourism revenues in this country. i beg to differ.

6. Likes Bronxboy, Seamonkey liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    But first, I flew in to POP today on AA and was picked up by a taxi driver I use. I asked him what happened in Sosua during the 6 weeks I was in the US and he replied not much, except some bars were closed. He seemed pleased about that. I asked him whether the Dominican residents were pleased with the changes the new mayor is making or attempting to make. He said they were very supportive.

From the Sosua News:

By order of justice of Puerto Plata the nightclub Passion's Bar located in the main street Pedro Clisante has been closed indefinitely.

During the raid the police encountered, as they announced, 32 girls who were forced to offer sexual services. The police freed them from their precarious situation, as informed the police. In the raid they confiscated sums of money, mobile phones, documents, contracts and cameras. Furthermore, there were condoms and uniforms found. The owner and his assistant manager are taken into custody. It is said that this raid followed on resent closure of 16 massage parlors. All part of the big plan to improve Sos˙a for tourism.
    That's what I've been hearing from most of the locals for years Ken. They can not make a living with the sex tourist unless you are part of that culture and MOST don't want anything to do with. Granted, some have had to deal with it just to survive but rather go back to the family based tourist AND locals that live here that stopped spending.

Funny. While some look at this situation as a big negative and stopped their buying and promoting to the sex tourist; I've been looking at buying and promoting to the locals that live here and the family tourist. One place will take 75% less then the 7 year ago asking price ...... and will take monthly payments to do the deal.

I also am looking at a couple other properties that the sellers just want out.

I'm dusting off some old building plans for nice town-house type homes on my double lot with lots of green space and second row from the ocean in a nice area. Also a small store and cafe'.

So as you see things change and yelling Sosua will die.... some of us see this change as a positive and that just those that have live here and stayed away for years will enter again. We will shop, develop and move forward again as we did years ago.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on this one Ringo.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The world economy has changed over the past few years. People don't have the money they used to and I will be at least a decade until they do. Even then, it will never be as it once was. Sosua is actually a dumpy little backwoods town and always will be. It is my little dumpy little backwoods town and I will always love it no matter how much the current administration screws it up. Its going to be empty....tumbleweeds don't grow in the DR do they?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    That's what I've been hearing from most of the locals for years Ken. They can not make a living with the sex tourist unless you are part of that culture and MOST don't want anything to do with. Granted, some have had to deal with it just to survive but rather go back to the family based tourist AND locals that live here that stopped spending.

Funny. While some look at this situation as a big negative and stopped their buying and promoting to the sex tourist; I've been looking at buying and promoting to the locals that live here and the family tourist. One place will take 75% less then the 7 year ago asking price ...... and will take monthly payments to do the deal.

I also am looking at a couple other properties that the sellers just want out.

I'm dusting off some old building plans for nice town-house type homes on my double lot with lots of green space and second row from the ocean in a nice area. Also a small store and cafe'.

So as you see things change and yelling Sosua will die.... some of us see this change as a positive and that just those that have live here and stayed away for years will enter again. We will shop, develop and move forward again as we did years ago.
    I don't disagree the contrarian approach can amount to sizeable gains, I like it, but of course its a high risk strategy mostly because you must be in a position to hold and go long..... Ringo seems like you have the wherewithal to do so I applaud your decision.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ramesses;1286220]The world economy has changed over the past few years. People don't have the money they used to and I will be at least a decade until they do. Even then, it will never be as it once was. Sosua is actually a dumpy little backwoods town and always will be. It is my little dumpy little backwoods town and I will always love it no matter how much the current administration screws it up. Its going to be empty....tumbleweeds don't grow in the DR do they?[/QU

Have you been to Boca Chica???? lots of tumbleweeds there.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Boca Chica is the model...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast