Colonial Zone

NaguaRick

Jun 26, 2013
I am coming to SD in September and am looking for a hotel in colonial zone. Must have swimming pool. Any recommendations?

NaguaRick

Jun 26, 2013
Thank you all for these recommendations. What about some good places to eat in this colonial zone?

jook

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
I second Meson D'Bari. Authentic Dominican with a menu in English & Spanish, haha.

If you want Italian in zona colonial, La Briciola is very good. It is near Hotel El Conde. Ristorante La Briciola

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I concur on the recommendation of La Briciola. Delicious trattoria style Italian food. Nice to have a break from locrio. Nice ambience. A place to take your wife on a date.

polancomariel

Aug 20, 2013
www.insatiable.wordpress.com
There are a couple choices.

Pate Palo (international)
Pura Tasca (spanish)
La Briciola (Italian, but very expensive)
Lulu Tasting Bar ( it is a tasting bar, but very good)

if you want dominican mean I recomend El Conuco, is maybe 15 mins away from the colonial city :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Consider where you stay in la zona colonial, they are starting remodeling of some streets, including putting cables in the ground and making pavements wider. Could get messy and I think Nicolas de Ovndo is on one of the streets where they will be working.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I stayed at Nicolas de Ovando for a few days last week and there's no construction now on Calle Las Damas. Speaking of which, I wonder why this hotel gets little mention, at least in the posts I've read here and elsewhere. Hotel Palacio is not in the same league, nor is any other hotel in Santo Domingo I stayed at. It's expensive, but the trick is to use hotwire, although rooms are not always available on hotwire. I paid $75/night plus a zillion dollars in tax, roughly the same as Hotel Palacio. As for Palacio, I've stayed there about a half dozen times and it's hit or miss, though I learned to play the game. The rooms mostly suck in the old section and on the ground floor by the dining area.

Consider where you stay in la zona colonial, they are starting remodeling of some streets, including putting cables in the ground and making pavements wider. Could get messy and I think Nicolas de Ovndo is on one of the streets where they will be working.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Another thing, not exactly related to hotels and restaurants. The choo choo train that tours the colonial zone is great!! I tried it on my last outing and it goes up and down almost every street in the zone with a recorded description and guide pointing things out... it only takes about 30 minutes. It always seemed too touristy or nerdy for my taste and idiotic with the coca cola writing all over, but I dressed incognito for the outing -). The tour is done in a variety of languages.