How many people have had guns pointed at them here in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Someone pointed a pistol at me when I was in my car earlier this evening. I was in Padre las Casas cl. in Santiago and pulled up close behind an Mercedes ML230 after it stopped in front of me. Some guy then opened the drivers window and pointed a gun at me, holding it backhand gangster movie style. I went down behind the dash. The car in front then moved off while I gave it a lot of space. I got the plate of the car when it turned into the Villa Verde neighborhood. I gave the plate number to fiscal Reynoso who lives near me and she said she would call about it.
The pistol was a machine pistol that looked like a P90 with a rear ejector arm above the top of the gun. It was clearly able to fire in full auto and had an extended magazine. This type of weapon is illegal for regular ownership in the DR AFAIK.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Damn... Reading this kinda **** make me **** in my pants. I hope i will never have to experience this kind of bull****.

At least they didnt fire, im happy that nothing happened to you.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
We got robbed a few xmases ago at gunpoint 30 ft from our front door. A motorbike drove by with 2 guys on, it stopped all of a sudden and the guy jumped off the back and pulled a gun from his pants. He then pointed it at my head, for some reason I debated with whether to give him what he was asking for and hesitated. He then pointed the gun at my then almost 2 year old daughter in the pram, while her mother collapsed in a heap. Obviously I handed over my wallet, watch and cel. He jumped back on the bike and sped off while I was left in a bit of a pickle. The most frustrating thing for me was a car drove by and could have easily knocked him over as he was standing in the road and it was very evident he was robbing us, why did he drive by as if we were buying ice cream. He was very Policia National about his actions, the way he drew and pointed the gun and moved around, he couldn't have hidden his occupation any less well if he had a PN ball all cap and bullet proof vest on.
I've also had a gun pointed at me at traffic lights in on Churchill, one of the guys begging just came to my window, about 10pm and stuck a gun at my head. I called his bluff and he walked off. A lot of these poorer criminals can't afford bullets, so guess I was lucky, or stupid.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I don't think it was for no reason, just that I don't know why. It must have been someone carrying something illegal or someone who is paranoid.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
My wife says I scared the guy because of how I drive. I drive fast and slam the brakes on pulling up short behind people. Maybe he thought I was going to attack him in that way.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Okay! That explains it. He pointed the gun at you to tell you to stay back!

That does not excuse what he did though, but it explains the why.

But I don't think you scared him. Looks like he was pi$$ed. He scared you!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'd place a healthy bet it was merely some coked up drunk thug playing Tony Montana. Just to wind a window down and point a gun is quite immature, usually on car rages they at least fire them in the air to make a bit more noise and drama, or shoot the tyres or something.
I witnessed two dads firing at each other as they went to park and pick up their kids from school, right outside the school with lots of kids coming out of the main doors. A stand off over who had the bigger jeep and right of way on a street made single lane by all the parents vehicles parked to greet thier kids. Amazingly dumb, dangerous and inconsiderate, truly dominican.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I don't drive like a Dominican, I drive like a guy who learned to drive in Boston, where everyone does that. There's actually not much difference between driving in Santiago and in Boston..

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I've seen kids, in Santo Domingo, running around with replica guns that look frighteningly real. Much more so than what I've seen in the U.S. Since auto weapons like that are so obviously illegal, might it be possible the thing you saw was not the real thing?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"Tailgating" is the number one cause of road-rage. Everywhere. That certainly does not justify the gun thing. If someone was to point a gun at me (has never happened yet) I would be seriously bummed out and would require some intense alcohol / scotch therapy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My wife says I scared the guy because of how I drive. I drive fast and slam the brakes on pulling up short behind people. Maybe he thought I was going to attack him in that way.

yeah, i know those drivers. i do my best to distance myself from those idiots thinking how good it is i do not carry a gun or i would have blasted a whole in their heads. it only gives an impression you do not know how to drive, you do not pay attention, you have no brains and you are a step away from crashing into the car in front of you. go suave. in SD you are in a heavy traffic all the time. next time remember, people have killed for less.
plus, as a passenger i hate drivers like yourself because going hard on the break because it does bad things to my puke sensors :(

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
part of the story seems to be missing

What exactly did you mean by "pulled up close behind?" I am thinking it might have something to do with the gun being pointed. What happened during the time leading up to you stopping behind the Mercedes?

Someone pointed a pistol at me when I was in my car earlier this evening. I was in Padre las Casas cl. in Santiago and pulled up close behind an Mercedes ML230 after it stopped in front of me. Some guy then opened the drivers window and pointed a gun at me, holding it backhand gangster movie style. I went down behind the dash. The car in front then moved off while I gave it a lot of space. I got the plate of the car when it turned into the Villa Verde neighborhood. I gave the plate number to fiscal Reynoso who lives near me and she said she would call about it.
The pistol was a machine pistol that looked like a P90 with a rear ejector arm above the top of the gun. It was clearly able to fire in full auto and had an extended magazine. This type of weapon is illegal for regular ownership in the DR AFAIK.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
This is only my opinion but I see little difference between the driving habit you describe and the practice of pointing guns at people - - there is no benefit and way too much risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.