1st trip to DR

Biker John

Jul 25, 2013
So I am new to the board and have been to dr once on a ship only for a day trip. Just wondering what are some fun things to do outside the resort. We like to explore and experience real island food. So any recommendations would be great. Thanks John

NaguaRick

Jun 26, 2013
Having been to the DR more than 50 times I would start off without going to the big resorts. They are very nice but you do not rely get a feel for the Dominican culture. Had an apartment in La Vega for sometime (central DR) I loved it up there. It is cooler and beautiful. They have a carnival every year in Feb. that you have to go to. I got some awesome pics there. Stay away from the capitol. It is just like any other countries capitol. Loud,dangerous,polluted and mega traffic. And I ended up marrying the most beautiful woman on the Island. :)

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
find some guys that are going around the same time you are meet up at the resort and hit the town together. one time the jetblue plane caught fire in air and returned back to dr so most of the passangers and i stayed at the victoria resort but i meet a guy there that never left the resort and i took him to the sosua area he was amazed of the difference

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You're going to get a lot of different responses John. There are some interesting and cool places to see in the capitol. Just don't get stuck there. A few days is sufficient. I fancy the north coast; Samana, Las Terranas, Rio San Juan, Sosua. I haven't been to the mountains yet but that's on my list. And I totally agree that you should get out of the resort and explore the real Dominican Republic.

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
So I am new to the board and have been to dr once on a ship only for a day trip. Just wondering what are some fun things to do outside the resort. We like to explore and experience real island food. So any recommendations would be great. Thanks John

Which Resort?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I actually think an A.I. is not a bad idea for first (or maybe even first few) visits. That way you can "absorb" the REAL D.R. in manageable doses, and then retreat to the safe harbor of the A.I. to enjoy the sand and sun. Unless you're a seasoned traveler with lots of "developing nation" experience, "baby steps" is the way to go. With that said, a taxi ride will take you to Friusa or another neighborhood to get a taste of Dominican life. You can also take one of the excursions that go into the countryside... they're still a very "scripted" version of "reality", but at least you get a hint of what life is like on the island.