Testing the waters in Bavaro

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
Long story short: I telecommute and my wife works part of the year, so we're looking for a place to be expats for half of the year. To that end, we're going to be staying in Bavaro for August to see what life is like there. We'd love to meet some expats already living there, but we're not sure where to go or who to talk to.

Are there any big expat meetup groups in Bavaro or in the area? Any places where most of the expats hang out (and the tourists don't)?

Also, any recommendations on getting a 3G cell phone, places to go, things to do, etc. would be very welcome.

Thanks!

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Lots of expats hang out at Steve's Bar (some tourists pop in there too) ... where will you be staying?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bavaro Bazaar every two weeks - Saturday mornings, Plaza Playa Turquesa - is another way to meet expats.

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks for the replies. We're staying at a condo near the Now Larimar--we'll check out the Bazaar and Steve's Bar as well.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Thanks for the replies. We're staying at a condo near the Now Larimar--we'll check out the Bazaar and Steve's Bar as well.

I've stayed in that area a couple of times, a condo right smack next door to the Now Larimar and another one a couple of miles away, great little area with lots within walking distance including groceries, shops, restaurants and the beach.

Taxi to Steve's from there is just over $10.00 and motoconchos even cheaper..

I'm going again in mid August, AI this time, but I WILL be out and about and around Steve's a few times.

Have a great time !!!