Hello everyone, I'm new

TDJ

Jul 31, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm new to posting to DR1, but I've been a loyal reader for many years. I can't thank you all enough for the valuable information and insights you have provided on life in DR. I've never had reason to post before, but I've recently realized that I would like to be able to ask questions and become part of the conversations. This is due to the fact that DR, and Santo Domingo, in partcular, will become a greater part of my life than it has been in the past.

I am a gringa from NY, live in NJ, and have been married to my Dominican husband for 28 years. I wish I had known about this site at the beginning of my marriage since it would have saved us from a lot of the arguing over the years. :laugh:

I look forward to be part of the threads.

Regards.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Bienvenida to dr1. I am a Nuyorican Gringo that's proud to be married to a Dominican woman (arguing included) for as long as you've been married. I'll be moving in to the DR soon. Is moving in what you mean by "become a greater part of my life?"

TDJ

Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for the welcome.

We plan to retire there part-time in about 7-10 years. In the meantime we will be visiting much more often than before. I hope to go a few times a year, as opposed to going once every few years which has been my norm.

All of my husband's siblings are here in the U.S., but he still has ties to areas in Santo Domingo that we visit, but I don't believe one would want to retire to out of choice: Los Mina, Herrera, Villa Mella, La Victoria.

I am trying to get a sense of what the different areas in Santo Domingo are like, and DR1 has been an extremely valuable resource. My husband has lived in the U.S. for over 30 years so he is not really knowledgeable about the city, except for the above-mentioned.

Congratulations on your soon-move. Very exciting. May I ask the area?