Pounds of Pesos !

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, Professor HB and I are starting a modest campaign to help Tardiff Orphanage and Fundacion Animales en Peligro. Both are in Santiago. The idea came when we were solving the Worlds problems as always and it dawned that I have like a bucket of pesos and so did he. So if you are ok money wise start putting the odd spare peso in a jar. When you have a bunch someone will pick them up and take them to the bank then split with Tardiff & Animales.
We are still working out the details. The Orphanage a lot of you are familiar with. Animales en Peligro is run by Doctora Gisselle Santos of the Hacienda Urbana animal clinic. Dra. Gisselle is a most excellent person who spends a ton of her own money to help discarded animals. I went to her safe house for dogs in Punal and there was like over 20 happy odd looking dogs!
What do you all think?
ps-Does anyone know how much one peso weighs?

May 29, 2006
I remember the sisters Mirabella medio pesos were 12.5 grams. They used to be used for scales in the country stores..

Used to be you could buy a soda with a 1/2 peso. Prob worth a lot now for those coins. They used to have a lot of silver in them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Those 50 ? coins "said" 12 .5 gramos de plata, but they weighted more than that..

I will have the weight in a moment. Hold on ...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Those 50 ? coins "said" 12 .5 gramos de plata, but they weighted more than that..

I will have the weight in a moment. Hold on ...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And the answer is: (Drumroll) 71 pesos make up a pound!....on a digital scale using pounds and pounds of peso pieces.

Almost the amount I got on a very old mail scale: 80...

So go get an old mayonaise jar and start filling it up!!

The news is the building site (fingers crossed) is fabulous. well over 1000 m2 of land with extremely los possibilities of anyone
building on two sides. As I understand it, the foundation is in the final stages of getting the property from the city of Santiago.

When this happens! We can really all do something!. People paid 100 dollars for a brick at Fenway Park....

Cordially,

HB

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Ok I am in for 1000 to each cause for a total of 2000 so like 28 1/2 pounds, Right? The pesos I have weighed less than I thought so I am making up the difference in bills.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Just so you all know that there are doable goals for both Tardiff Orphanage & Animales en Peligro Tardiff has almost gotten title to land in order to build a permanent home for the children. Dra. Gisselle has already got the land, fenced it in and done some building towards having a Santiago Dog Club in order to help support all the abandoned ones she saves.

neural

Dec 12, 2012
What a great initiative! Could you provide more information on the Tardiff Orphanage?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Evening, Hogar Tardiff is like an orphanage but really a rescue place for children. All of the kids have parents but due to drugs, mental illness, or abuse they have been taken away. Some of the kids have been terribly abused. There are about 25 children mostly girls ranging from 6 to 17 with the majority 8-10 years old. They have been bounced around and are currently in a overcrowded house in Villa Olga. They are getting some land to build a permanent place. If you use the DR1 search function you can find out more.