English speaking community in or near Las Terrenas

aguacate

Aug 3, 2013
Hello,
I've been living in Santiago for a year and my Spanish is still really bad. It looks like we may be moving to Las Terrenas -- is there an English speaking community there? If so, how to contact them?

Are there pockets of English Speakers in the DR?

I'm isolated without knowing Spanish. The lessons I paid for didn't help too much.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Just show up for Happy Hour @Big Dan's for a beer or 2, and you'll be fixed ;-)

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
English ex-pats in Las Terrenas

Hello,
I've been living in Santiago for a year and my Spanish is still really bad. It looks like we may be moving to Las Terrenas -- is there an English speaking community there? If so, how to contact them?

Forget the Spanish, you might as well and start learning French in Las Terrenas. :(

A French Consulate is all that's missing!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
English Speakers

Hello,

I'm isolated without knowing Spanish. The lessons I paid for didn't help too much.

Hi:

There are Americans, Canadians and folks from Great Britain in Las Terrenas, however you will hear, Spanish, French and Italian predominantly spoken. English speakers are in the vast minority. If you are a permanent resident in the DR you really need to continue to work on your Spanish language skills. There are really no pockets of
English speakers in Las Terrenas. As previously said, Big Dan's is a bar owned by an American and English
speakers will congrugate there.

LTSteve

aguacate

Aug 3, 2013
I do better at French. Which is why I was able to survive in LT for at least a few weeks. "Je voudrais deux baguettes et un cafe au lait s'il vous plait!" I ate bread and coffee for 2 weeks, but I ate.

Okay, so it sounds like I hang out and meet people.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Jiminy crickets if all it takes to be able to get along in Spanish is one year of studying I did something wrong along the way!

The real fact of the matter is learning a language as an adult takes years to get to some level of proficiency so that one can communicate at a minimal level and understand the majority of what one hears.

What I don't understand is why people think it needs to happen overnight or with minimal effort. I recommend looking it as a "hobby" and practicing everyday so at some point along the way one's proficiency is suitable enough to communicate effectively. This has worked for me and I've been at it for 13 years.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is are two libraries.. one started by the French and one at the Gandhi foundation.. well Called the Biblioteca Anacoana. Volunteer there and you will meet lots of the expats who speak English (which lots of the Germans and others do as well) I recommend the Escuelita de Christina as a Spanish teacher. She is really gifted and will have you up and running in no time. There are lots of projects to get invloved with there and a big international community but lots of the Europeans are away on holiday in August.. plus, of course, lots of tourists may be there in Aug. It is an interesting Village. Nor quite the Dominican Republic. But a very interesting village.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There actually is a French Consulate in Las Terrenas, and the French are part of LT since the beginning...

Like before Columbus or the book of Genesis?

How many English speakers do people figure are in Las Terrenas?

aguacate

Aug 3, 2013
Hi Chip, I am not sure if you were replying to my post or not. Perhaps you interpreted what I said to mean that I expected to be able to master Spanish in a year. In any case, thank you so much for sharing "the facts of the matter" (not sure they were the facts of the matter I raised) and your proficiency. I certainly admire you. I don't really feel welcome by your post, but again, I'm not sure if you were responding to what I actually said or not.

aguacate

Aug 3, 2013
That's really helpful, mountain Annie. I'm interested to know more about the Gandhi foundation, and I've learned a bit about who Anacoana is. Thanks so much for your helpful post, and for recommending a Spanish teacher. As an aside, I was really impressed by the Camelot Cultural Center. There is a man who teaches Iyengar style yoga there who knows what he is doing, and the facility is beautiful. If I DO move to LT, it would be in the fall.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi Chip, I am not sure if you were replying to my post or not. Perhaps you interpreted what I said to mean that I expected to be able to master Spanish in a year. In any case, thank you so much for sharing "the facts of the matter" (not sure they were the facts of the matter I raised) and your proficiency. I certainly admire you. I don't really feel welcome by your post, but again, I'm not sure if you were responding to what I actually said or not.

Ok so we think alike - with respect to learning Spanish. :)

I wish you the best of luck, keep at it. Also, I recommend focusing more on grammar and reading first and the conversational part will come at a later time in bits and pieces. Ciao!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
chip, you forgot to add your favorite Spanish phrase, "My Fren", and the "Smily Face"!!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would guestimate that during the Winter months there are probably a good 200 English speakers. There are also many French and Itallians and Dominicans that speak English. Unless you are in business a rudimentary use of Spanish in Las Terrenas will do the job.

LTSteve