Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dominican access to global financial markets

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

A market crash creates buying opportunities. Bring on another crash. Unless you need the money tomorrow the market is the place to park your cash. The DOW is pushing 16000 thousand. I hope it takes a dive as I will put more in.
    As for people on the island investing. If they would put a few pesos a month, as in dollar cost averaging, into a S&P 500 account like Tambo was suggesting they would be able to create a significant amount of coin. However I know it is difficult for them and it gets right back to the education thing.

2. Likes greydread liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playacaribe2 View Post
    All true.

However, I learned long ago that you trade the market you have, not the one you want or the one you think should be....and it has been a heck of a nice run for 2013.

To stay DR related, and to answer the OP's question, its citizens are not limited to the local financial markets.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Thanks. Do you know if there are Dominican brokerages they can use or if they have to find a foreign on-line broker who will service small foreign accounts.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

All true.

However, I learned long ago that you trade the market you have, not the one you want or the one you think should be....and it has been a heck of a nice run for 2013.

To stay DR related, and to answer the OP's question, its citizens are not limited to the local financial markets.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Then it's just gambling, and the way to prosper is to, in essence, count cards.

That's fine.

However, in the good old days before QE and gubmint manipulation of the housing market, the stock market was based on fundamentals of profit, added value, supply/demand and real wealth creation. The mortgage & real estate market were downstream reflections of those.

And while public companies benefit from the Fed pumping $85 billion a month in bank bonds (literally out of thin air and that nobody else wants) and it winds its way into the stock market, private companies have suffered very badly. Look at business & personal bankruptcies and the shrinking labor market.

They play in the same economy by different rules. One class is "preferred" (), the other class not so preferred.

5. Likes jabejuventus liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    Thanks. Do you know if there are Dominican brokerages they can use or if they have to find a foreign on-line broker who will service small foreign accounts.
    While I know there are brokerages in the DR, I would opt for an on-line one. Preferably one that is US based and offers SIPC protection (insurance).

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

While I know there are brokerages in the DR, I would opt for an on-line one. Preferably one that is US based and offers SIPC protection (insurance).

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    OK thanks, that's what I was thinking also. As much as I love them, I wouldn't trust any of the people I know here to hold shares for me mush less the strangers. It's just a matter of finding an on-line broker that will accept a non-resident and non-citizen. My current one is not such a broker.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"...on-line broker that will accept a non-resident and non-citizen..."

Do they exist? I couldn't find one...

9. Likes wuarhat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    That's fine.
    Thanks for the warning.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post

I don't know. I've had the same success as you, but I haven't gone that far through the application process.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pauleast View Post
    A market crash creates buying opportunities. Bring on another crash. Unless you need the money tomorrow the market is the place to park your cash. The DOW is pushing 16000 thousand. I hope it takes a dive as I will put more in.
    As for people on the island investing. If they would put a few pesos a month, as in dollar cost averaging, into a S&P 500 account like Tambo was suggesting they would be able to create a significant amount of coin. However I know it is difficult for them and it gets right back to the education thing.
    Instead of buying lotto tickets

13. Likes pauleast liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post

Fidelity will not accept non-resident non-citizens.

However, TD Ameritrade and E-Trade will both accept foreign accounts from many countries....but not all. Check with them.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

15. Likes caribmike, wuarhat liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast