New in in PP...Hello to all.

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
:nervous:
I'm glad to be here. Hope to find a place I can ask many questions of expats who have been there and done that in the Dominican Republic.....and I seem to have many.
1st one:
Is it possible to get movies to stream to an xbox360 subscription here. How do you guys get movies for your family to the TV?
Geeky I know...but it is my dilemma of the day... and it seems I've got more than a handful....haha ranging from water problems to locking the gate every time I leave to a whole series of questions on driving.....but will ask later ....right now I'm setting up the TV....have cable...have internet (obviously) want to be able to get current movies (would settle for any movies right now) without buying (re-buying) all those DVD's I gave away before I left....
so any suggestions or answers will be much appreciated.......
thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
torrentz? you can get this thingy... whatsit, netflix? we have it, only i never ever used it yet and i boycott it with all my heart.
you can stream to xbox but you need VPN for this.

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
torrentz? you can get this thingy... whatsit, netflix? we have it, only i never ever used it yet and i boycott it with all my heart.
you can stream to xbox but you need VPN for this.

Thanks. I think that is what I was missing...the VPN keeps the account in the US and lets me stream from there, thinking I am a US account....is that correct?
Set up the VPN on my computer or can I set it up on the xbox? Is one better than the other?
Thanks again

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hey", you live on a tropical island, in a "Beach Town", forget sitting inside watching movies, go to the beach all day, and the Clubs all night!
Leave watching movies to the people who have "Winter Nights" with nothing to do.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks. I think that is what I was missing...the VPN keeps the account in the US and lets me stream from there, thinking I am a US account....is that correct?
Set up the VPN on my computer or can I set it up on the xbox? Is one better than the other?
Thanks again

we have a VPN with stable connection in miami. so when i log into FB for instance it shows my log in location as miami, FL. we also have dominican IP address. our connection is with a router/computer. i do not think you can set it on the xbox thou. we use strongVPN and you can have it for as little as 55 dollars a year. we pay more for our package.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
"Hey", you live on a tropical island, in a "Beach Town", forget sitting inside watching movies, go to the beach all day, and the Clubs all night!
Leave watching movies to the people who have "Winter Nights" with nothing to do.

couldn't agree with you more...but I guess that the films are for his wife and kids.....heaven forbid that they should go out explore and get some sunshine and fresh air.
Anyway lets hope he will learn to enjoy life here outside the home

In the middle of the night, this is needed!!! I can only go swimming staring at the stars for so long!
Also have the shows on my lap so i can watch them outside :) Does that count as going out on the beach, if i have my laptop too?

JonathanBaldrey

Jan 14, 2011
I have an Apple TV box - you can buy them here on the island, there are lots of Mac shops in the capital and prices aren't much much higher than in the US. The Apple TV box connects into your internet connect and you can see things like Netflix and Youtube on the TV, and you can stream anything from your computer or tablet to the TV (at least you can from a Mac computer or iPad).

Depending on where your iTunes account is, you get all those options on your Apple TV, even if you are here. So, in my case, I'm from the UK and I get all the UK options on my Apple TV here. If you have a US iTunes account, you'll get all the same options on Apple TV as you would get in the US. I've found it works really well, I can use a VPN which makes UK websites think that I'm connecting from the UK, and then stream straight to my TV.

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I believe the VPN solution is the answer to this problem.... so thanks for the tip.
Have other "settling -in" questions but will ask in another thread.

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
Welcome! I'm from around PP as well. You can get internet from Miami, like someone previously mentioned. I have netflix, but it SUCKS! Since I don't have American internet, all I get are crap movies and crap TV shows. It is better than nothing though. If you have internet from Miami you'd be able to stream a TON more.