US English, Dominican Spanish Dictionary

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I've been working on my spanish recently and I'd like to find some resources that use US English and Dominican Spanish (or at least Latin American Spanish). I'm really Sick of all the resources using UK English and European Spanish.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... those resources you are so sick of teach proper spanish, i guess.
check out wordreference site: English to French, Italian, German & Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com
the dictionary is pretty good and picks up some of the differences between regions but the language forums, top left side corner are really good. you can log in and ask away. plenty of folks from all parts of the world and all walks of life. each translation of an individual word provides links to some of the discussions on the subject.
really good stuff, this site.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know that Rosetta Stone has both Latin American and European Spanish. My cousin's daughter is married to a Spaniard, and he was upset that she bought the wrong one, so she exchanged it.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
There are good sources available....

There are quite a few sources specific to what you are hoping to find when it comes to dictionaries although finding a US English/ Spanish spoken in the Dominican Republic is really narrowing your choices down but as you mentioned (US) English / Latin American Spanish is available. In my experience, VOX dictionaries have good references that are region specific and one in particular comes to mind.

Here is one I have and I have had it for years. I bought it out of the blue not realizing how good the content is:

jl42gj.jpg

Vox Diccionario Compacto Espa?ol E Ingl?s - Vox - Google Books

I remember browsing in a bookstore many years after purchasing it and just looking at it again because sometimes a newer edition comes out and I remember the store clerk coming up to me and saying- 'careful with that dictionary. It's very Latin American' meaning the words, expressions, idioms etc'. I told her it's okay. I already have it and it is indeed a good one.

It's a good dictionary with a lot of grammatical information as well as a complete section on idiomatic expressions used in the Spanish-speaking world.

-MP.

negringa

Feb 13, 2018
I've been working on my spanish recently and I'd like to find some resources that use US English and Dominican Spanish (or at least Latin American Spanish). I'm really Sick of all the resources using UK English and European Spanish.

There is also a bilingual Dominican Spanish dictionary in Sanish and American English. There is an ebook and paperback

negringa

Feb 13, 2018
Dominican Spanish 101 ebook and paperback are available on Amazon. It is in American English and Spanish with examples

Last edited by a moderator: